If it sounds too good to be true...

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Matt_C, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Ad spotted on my AVF landing page today

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 11.45.55.png

Led to this site Cut the Cord With These Cable-Replacing Gadgets

Now I don't know enough about it, but despite it's claims to be completely legal I struggle to believe it is - it also repeatedly mentions cable companies and in the same breath says about receiving signals via antenna. I thought the designation of a cable company is that it transmits via, uh, cable, not OTA...

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    The general opinion elsewhere in the Forum is that these advertisements are something of a con if they are being aimed at UK consumers. The text is originally aimed at the US market and the advertisers have made no effort to change it.

What you will be buying is simply an indoor aerial that will pick up, if you are lucky, Freeview. There is nothing magical about it except that they have found a way of taking money for something that probably won't work very efficiently and can be obtained on the high street for a lot less. The box attached to it is similar to a Humax or Panasonic PVR. TV reception by cable in the US is traditionally much more common than it is in the UK.

The plugin devices are the Google and Amazon ones we are familiar with. Not all services, outside of our major channels, are necessarily free and you do have to have a broadband service, which is, after all, a different sort of cable.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Click bait style advertising - always a scam of some kind.

Whether or not the gadget concept is any good - I refuse to hand over any money to companies that use this style of advertising as they used what are probably outright lies to get my attention in the first place.

4. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Just had this ad start popping up at the bottom of the page myself.

It's clearly some sort of scam, an HDTV "antenna" which plugs into an HDMI port? Really? How would that work...

I'm guessing this is probably some sort of miniature Kodi box loaded up with all sort of dodgy add-ons that connects to your network via Wi-Fi. Either that or a straight up con where you won't receive anything at all if you order one.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    It means it's unlikely to be true.