Quantcast

Answered If it doesn't say 'HDR' ON the box, is it definitely not HDR IN the box?

AlanX

A bit confused over HDR on 4K UHD discs.
The headline on most disc boxes will say '4K Ultra HD', and sometimes, near the bottom of the cover, it will say 'HDR' in bold lettering. Should I assume that, if it doesn't shout about HDR on the box, then it's not HDR at all?
I have an HDR TV and an HDR player. But if I'm buying a disc without HDR, I think I'm better off saving money by buying the Blu-Ray HD cuts, rather than paying extra for 4K, as the difference is likely to be marginal. Certainly the rest of the family won't care either way!
Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:

NM2160

The headline on most disc boxes will say '4K Ultra HD', and sometimes, near the bottom of the cover, it will say 'HDR' in bold lettering. Should I assume that, if it doesn't shout about HDR on the box, then it's not HDR at all?
I have an HDR TV and an HDR TV. But if I'm buying a disc without HDR, I think I'm better off saving money by buying the Blu-Ray HD cuts, rather than paying extra for 4K, as the difference is likely to be marginal. Certainly the rest of the family won't care either way!
Can anyone clarify?
Try reading a few sites that review 4k discs as that should clear things up for you.

99.9 % of 4k discs have HDR.

Can only think of 2 or 3 that don't have HDR & those are low budget titles.

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
very few are even native 4K UHD
unfortunately if you want Dolby Atmos it is more than likely only available on the 4K UHD disc

AlanX

Thanks. Not much point in paying more for an upscaled 2K, when my TV can make a pretty good job of doing that for itself! However, it's probably hard to determine whether a 4K disc is a 2K upscale or has been cut fresh from the original negative (unless they shout about the latter).
Not bothered about Atmos. Have 5.1 installed, which is more than adequate for my deteriorating ears!

pronto

I have an HDR TV and an HDR TV. But if I'm buying a disc without HDR, I think I'm better off saving money by buying the Blu-Ray HD cuts, rather than paying extra for 4K, as the difference is likely to be marginal. Certainly the rest of the family won't care either way!
Can anyone clarify?
you could check this site out it tells you what's going on with 4k Blu-rays HDR.

Real Native 4K Or Fake Upscaled 4K | 4K Media

AlanX

you will see the HDR notification on the top right hand corner
Sure, but I want to know BEFORE I splash out! The 'Real or Fake 4K' site mentioned above seems to cover it (thanks pronto).

peahead

I personally buy UHD 4K movies for the HDR not for the 4K resolution.

Most of the latest movies are just upscales.

addyeddy

Personally, I've given up buying 4k discs completely. OK, I have an early 4k TV that doesn't have HDR, but it does have WCG, and my Oppo 203 does a wonderful job of upscaling. Of all the 4k discs I've bought, only Planet Earth 2 made me go wow.

Last edited:

BoothyIOW

Thanks. Not much point in paying more for an upscaled 2K, when my TV can make a pretty good job of doing that for itself! However, it's probably hard to determine whether a 4K disc is a 2K upscale or has been cut fresh from the original negative (unless they shout about the latter).
Not bothered about Atmos. Have 5.1 installed, which is more than adequate for my deteriorating ears!
Yeah I’m sure your tv will make Avengers Assemble, Pacific Rim etc look just as good as their amazing UHD discs. Granted there are many upscales that only add a moderate degree of detail, but a blanket ‘not worth it’ policy is reductive.

The_Wierd

Some of the 2K upscales are still new transfers, not available on standard Blu, so they still look better. For example, Star Trek (2009) has a copy of the original 2009 Blu-Ray packed in, and an A/B comparison shows more detail in the 2K upscale. In fact even projected on my non-HDR, 1080P projector, I could still see an improvement.

That said, some new transfers of older movies are also released on standard Blu-Ray, and you may feel the “HDR premium” is not worth the extra cost. I must my admit my 2016 Panasonic 4K TV is not good at HDR, and it is hard to see much difference - it usually just looks like SDR with the contrast set to max, so the benefit you get will also depend on your gear.

IGC

There's been a few fake 4K Blu-rays for sure but the good ones far outweigh the bad and it's been an amazing year for disc fans.

As for HDR, I just can't see any difference on my 65" 4K TV. Part of that may be ignorance and part of that will be marketing but I'm sure there's more people with fake HDR TVs than true HDR TVs too. If The Matrix and McTerian's Predator look so great because of HDR then that's great

An example of a non-HDR disc (review) which looks truly amazing is the Germany release of Nikolas Winding Refn's The Night Demon. Would it look better with HDR? Just different I'm guessing.

I have HDR on Netflix too and I can't see much difference (albeit it's a very good transfer in the main).

Watching a Blu-ray on a 3840 x 2160 TV is fairly pointless if there's a 3840 x 2160 UHD available. A bit daft too like quite a few people watching UHDs on old HD TVs and saying "That's fine it'll do me" but still posting and complaining in the 4K section of this forum.

NM2160

Just perused the Fake or 4K site. Shocking how many are fake!
Oh for gods sake ... not this nonsense again :zonked:.

Merry Xmas everyone ..

giphy.gif

pimms

Oh for gods sake ... not this nonsense again :zonked:.

Merry Xmas everyone ..

View attachment 1100403
If it isn't a true 4K scan from a negative or shot in 4K but upscaled from 2K, then it's not "True" 4K is it! Well, is it?

Owing to the fact I own ONE 4K disk (and that's because it came with the player) and not planning on purchasing many others, (neither my 4K TV or Player) I don't live in this forum and get all anal about it.

If a person here, on this thread, posts a web site as 'Fake or Real' then how the bloody hell am I, a person with a casual interest in 4K, meant to know others are going to scoff and thumb their noses at someone whom is just having a gander and doesn't realise there is something only the cool in crowd knows.

Rather than be sarcastic, you could have been helpful and pointed me to a thread about 4K and why there isn't a fake 4K.

chaparral

Most of the latest movies are just upscales.
Yes I just bought and watched "THE MEG" and that one is upscaled 2k and I thought the picture quality looked amazing

I would of never guessed or known it was only upscaled 2k if I didn't read about it on here..

Coulson

Oh dear here we go again.
Yes you can easily find out if it is an upscale but it is rather pointless because that only tells (at most) half the story.

The name 4k strongly implies that the 4x resolution is the point. They did that deliberately because it's easy to market even if in reality many of us won't have a TV large enough to fully appreciate the difference. They also may not have known or cared that the majority of discs are not native 4k.

But what the format really should be called is something like HDR since this is what makes the difference. But the problem here is that it's not so easy to market and then you also can't flog your middling performance 4K TV as anything other than a glorified HD TV.

Coulson

Yes I just bought and watched "THE MEG" and that one is upscaled 2k and I thought the picture quality looked amazing

I would of never guessed or known it was only upscaled 2k if I didn't read about it on here..
The MEG has stunning picture quality rivalling native 4k Discs as does the Avengers, Pacific Rim uprising, Guardians of the Galaxy and many more. Guardians of the Galaxy in particular shows how movie makeup is pretty much an art form. But only if you TV is good enough to show it. Otherwise you might as well stick with the Blu.

Coulson

If it isn't a true 4K scan from a negative or shot in 4K but upscaled from 2K, then it's not "True" 4K is it! Well, is it?

Owing to the fact I own ONE 4K disk (and that's because it came with the player) and not planning on purchasing many others, (neither my 4K TV or Player) I don't live in this forum and get all anal about it.

If a person here, on this thread, posts a web site as 'Fake or Real' then how the bloody hell am I, a person with a casual interest in 4K, meant to know others are going to scoff and thumb their noses at someone whom is just having a gander and doesn't realise there is something only the cool in crowd knows.

Rather than be sarcastic, you could have been helpful and pointed me to a thread about 4K and why there isn't a fake 4K.
You own ONE 4k disc and haven't bothered or cared to read about how and why many discs are 2k upscales and yet you are upset? The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question which has been answered. The rest is just fud!

This is AVForums not Currys
*edit* not Curries? *can't even blame the the mobile on this one*

Last edited:

Stupot43

I'm with you Pimms. I'm not going to spend the best part of £20 (or more in some circumstances) on a disc which says its "4K" but it is really only a 2K upscale, no matter how good the upscale is. In my opinion this is false advertising!

My nephew has recently purchased a 4K player and was telling me he couldn't wait to buy some 4K discs. When I explained to him that a lot of discs weren't "true" 4K he was shocked and his first words were "well how come they advertise and sell them as "4K". Then I explained to him that over the years, when a new format has appeared ie tape video>DVD>Blu-ray>4K a lot of enthusiasts have repurchased most of their library of films on the new format. This has cost a lot of money for many of us and the film studios have raked in the takings. This has happened for every new format and that the new format discs have cost so much more. Well this time, the studios ain't gonna get my money unless it's a true 4K disc, and even then I shall wait until the discs come down in price a little.

I know there will be members who will come on here and try to shoot me down in flames, but I will not change my mind, I've been "done" too many times and if the studios want my money they have to deliver the goods.

I use the site you have used to find out if its real or fake 4K, in conjunction with reviews of the discs on the forums, before I purchase any "4K" discs.