1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If it aint broke................

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gargoyle, Dec 31, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've now owned my panny 36pf10 tv for 4-5 years now and recently, on seeing the new breed of sleek n sexy rptv's and plasmas, decided that my beautiful but bulky panny was in need of updating, after seeing the photos in the plasma thread - 'show us yours', decided that an hang on the wall tv was the way to go.
    I checked out quite a few showrooms demoing these sets and have to say that on the whole, was impressed with what I saw, I also checked out the latest rear projectors from sony, sagem and one or two others and again, was impressed with what I saw.
    On getting home, I had actually made up my mind as to which one I was going to buy but decided to check out a couple of opinions from this forum for both formats - thank god! It seems that whilst retail salesmen are enthusiastically extolling the virtues of each system, theres a lot that they DON'T tell you - most impotantly, that both these systems have a 'limited' life - with plasma's, the image degrades over a period of years and with rptv's the bulbs have to be replaced at great expense - because my tv is hooked up to a console, computer,cable, video, dvd and laserdisc, it gets well used and using either format would mean a much shorter shelf life.
    I took a step back and had a look at my 5 year old panny and suddenly realised that what I had was the best possible compromise - a large screen tv with no life issues, great sound, flat screen and superb pic which is the same today as it was when I bought it so apart from the fact that its a bit on the porky side, I have no issues so I've finally made my mind up - I'm staying in crt city! In a few years time when the other formats have improved and matured, I may well cast my eyes to a new box but buying either technology now would only be a short term compromise.

2. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to see it.
    I upgraded to a TX-36PB50 (£850 in a Panasonic staff sale a few months back - couldn't resist), my TX-36PF10 is now gracing a table in the bedroom until I build my mirror-door wardrobe with a nice big shelf for it.

Plasma = tempting, but not tempting enough.
    Rear projection = how do people put up with the awful picture?

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma, I'd agree - it's the short lifetime that really puts me off. Poor value.

Rear Projection - My 51WH is fantastic and I wouldn't swap it for anything. But yes, it does have foibles like the sweet spot and some do require regular convergence adjustment - mine requires a small tweak every month or so.

But the thrust of the original post I'd wholeheartedly agree with. I will not swap this out until the flat panel technology becomes sufficiently good enough to warrant the extra layout. I am waiting eagerly for SED (Toshiba/Canon) due apparently in 2006. I can see a nice Christmas present to myself if it looks as good as the critics allege it is.

4. ScootermanRoger

ScootermanRoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A CRT for me any time! The plasmas and LCD screens are simply too slow to get the visual information onto the screen. The effect is that the sound gets to you first, then you see the lips move. Very unco-ordinated. However when comparing a Panasonic and a Sony plasma side by side, (37", or was it 42"?), although the Panasonic had the better picture, the Sony's sound seemed to be delayed to match the delay of video information, so the overall effect was OK on the Sony. Playing the two TVs side by side with volumes on similar settings produced a very distinct echo on the sound. Now if Panasonic were to build a sound delay into their Vieira, it would be top-notch, but without it, to me it is disturbingly un-synched, as are virtually all plasma and LCD displays. Nothing beats a good old-fashioned Cathode Ray Tube for speed of display, as long as it is set at 50Hz frame, and not processed!

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

I have to disagree with you about the sound sync issues .
    I have a Panasonic Viera plasma and have never had any such lip sync issues at all. I have even tested it with the sound and image test on the digital video essentials dvd and it is spot on. I did think I had a problem once with the aliens disc in the quadriladgey box set set, but it turns out to be just a problem with that particualr scene on that particualr disc.

6. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You guys need to see a DLP rear projection TV. These (in my opinon) blow away the majority of plasma screen - in fact ALL plasma screeen I have seen do not have as good a picture as one of these.

I do agree though that a CRT is still the best picture for standard definition images as even decent 50 inch DLP rear pro TV will set you back £2000

7. eXOBeX

eXOBeX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget OLED (Organic LED) too - more info here.