1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I want the best Sky quality should I buy a CRT instead of plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Jul 4, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have been looking for a new TV for a while now. I have been considering either a 36" CRT (such as the Panasonic PD30 or the new Philips Pixel Plus 2) or a smaller plasma i.e. 32-37".

Larger plasmas do not interest me as I am one of those people who does not feel that larger screens are better. Also I don't watch many DVDs so I am not interested in a home cinema experience. I just want my regular TV with the best quality picture.

I am very tempted by plasma (Hitachi 32PD3000, Sony 32TS2, Philips 32PF9965, Panny 37pw5) but have yet to see any plasma that provides Sky/digital broadcast picture quality that is as good as a good CRT. (I am very impressed with DVD quality on these plasmas but this is not very improtant to me.)

I have seen other posts that state that Sky on plasma looks poor because the plasma image is so large and the faults in the broadcast are being magnified. However, given that I am comparing CRTs and plasmas of similar size I cannot believe this is the case. Is there something inherent about plasma that is giving this result I am seeing e.g. having to stretch a 4:3 broadcast image at the same time as scaling it to fit the pannel resolution?

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I would say that on my 42" Toshiba Plasma (Panasonic Series 5) Sky looks better than it ever did on my 36" CRTs (Panasonic, Sony and Philips)

I don't understand the negative talk about Sky and Plasmas.. I have never found it to be a problem.

The only device which looks REALLY poor is my VCR connected by Composite.. Its not the VCR which is to blame, but the Composite input, as Sky though this input looks poor too.

As I have said before and so have others.. If you have the funds and are even slightly interested in a plasma.. DO IT.. You will never look back!

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    The thing that is fundamentally different about any flat panel vs. a regular CRT is that the image HAS to be processed digitally in order to map it on to the pixels in the screen.

Whilst some CRTs have similar processing, it isn't intrinsic to CRTs.

The problem, then, is that, depending on how well it is done, the digital mapping can 'interfere' with the other digital artefacts that arise from the compression used in digital TV. Together, they amplify one another and you get a more 'processed' looking image.

It all depends on how well the mapping is done in the TV. You can't increase the 'quality' of the sky (or freeview) signal.

BUT......this is only one aspect of picture 'quality'. And the extent to which, if you see it, it bothers you may be more or less than the next man. On the other hand, there are many ways in which flat screen technologies are intrinsically 'better' than CRTs - perfect geometry, stability and convergence, and reduced refresh flicker for example.

Really, this is going to be one of those 'only you can make the choice' answers. Use others' opinions to get a feel for what to watch out for - but only you can decide what imprefections will bother you most - for me, I can cope with a small amount of digital artefact - but I detest bent straight lines, tilted pictures, bouncing logos flickering and colour fringes.

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sky looks great on my Hitachi as long as you stick to the "major" channels - looks really bad on Bravo & Living but they're not channels I watch anyway - Cricket looks great & so did the Rugby on Tuesday

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I suppose that my issue is that I am sensitive to anything that I would refer to as digital effects/artifacts in the picture.
    On the other hand I'm not so sensitive to many common CRT defects such as flicker and poor geometry.

I am itching to buy a plasma but keep getting disappointed at each demo and wandering back to CRT.

I know that the Sky feed itself has many digital artifacts due to compression - most notabe when quickly fading from one scene to another or fast moving scenes such as the start of Futurama.

Unfortunately every set I have seen (CRT or Plasma) seems to introduce a further "digitisation" effect when stretching a 4:3 image to 16:9. (It is enough to make me think that I should watch everything in 4:3.) To methe effect seems to be worse on plasma.

6. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i dont no what to do myself but the Panasonic PD30 is amazing i saw it today better than any tv ive ever seen.also seen new sony plasma .very good i would say they have the edge on the hitachi plasmas even though i think they use the same glass.the 32inch can be had for £2500 so i would say these 2 at the moment are the best.i am very paticular on what i buy it has to be near perfect and i do all the checks with top quality leads and dvd players and my eyesite is very good.so these two models should fit your bill

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    In that case, a cheap(ish) 'bog-standard' CRT TV is probably what you need. No 100hz, no pixel plus no other 'clever' stuff.

On a widescreen 'basic' CRT TV, the picture size is changed, not by any digital processing, but just by changing the CRT's scanning properties. This is a wholly analog process and won't introduce anything new into the picture.

Any remaining digital artefacts are there because $ky is digitally compressed, too much.

8. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I brought a Panny 37pw5 about 4 months ago and had exactly the same doubts as you did. Actually it was my girlfriend who had the main doubts....Everywhere we went for demos we walked away with the same gripes - dvd great, sky crap. The thing you have to remember though is most plasmas you'll see displayed in shops are set up poorly (daisy chained sky, cheap cables, factory contrast settings etc). Eventually though (due to this forum!) we took the leap of faith. Ditched the tuner option and got a JS VGA converter. Result? 90% of channels look stunning. The odd low bandwidth cheap channel such as Reality TV look very average but most blow away anything i've seen on my friends 36"/32" tosh/sony sets. As far as digital artefacts go i can honestly say that I don't notice it all. Used to have tosh36" and it was very noticeable. Infact last week I watched tv on my mates widescreen 28" and i couldn't believe how awful it looked - made me glad i spent all that money!

I don't think you'll regret getting a plasma!

9. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never had any problems with the quality of Sky on my Panny, looks okay to me.

No digital artifacts that I can see

10. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    It's not that the quality of Sky is reduced by plasma per se, but that plasmas are big screens and good displays so one can really see what Sky is like.

The exception being plasma screens with 480 lines of veritical resolution, where you would lose 20% of Sky's picture information.

StooMonster

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    gary

Your asking the wrong bunch here* - most of us are plasma converts and whilst our displays are not perfect and they magnify any signal deficiencies they do provide a certain something that no CRT ever managed in my set up.

I watched (most) of the Charles Angels movie on SKY last night (dont have a clue what channel it was on I was 'surfing when I came across it) and the quality of the image never once got in the way of my 'enjoyment' of the movie.

And I'd certainly advise you to 'go large' as you'll never look back once you have!

Best regards

Joe

* Though maybe not as I'd bet most on the forum have had a big CRT set at some time.

12. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    If there's a poor broadcast from a sky channel the plasma will pick it up easily. It does look awful sometimes.