if I quit sky+ what do I get for free?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by spook, May 15, 2005.

1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just coming up to 12 months since my sky+ installation (can't wait to disconnect that phone line)
    I have found that I tend to watch/record mostly the channels that are now available on freeview, apart from the odd sky1 program (which tend to eventually turn up on channel 4 or channel 5 anyway)

anyways my question is: If I quit my sky subscription, are any channels still available and will I still be able to record?

I know I can buy a freeview recorder (topfield, panny etc) I would probably buy one of these anyway, but the extra free sky channels would also be useful.

has anyone actually done this?

spook

2. jbsc00

jbsc00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did this a while ago, and you cannot record without a sky plus subscription.
    Your existing card will become a "freeview" card when your subscription is deactivated.

Channels you will get; all BBC, all ITV, Channel 4 & Five, most of the rubbish from 201-299
    A few music channels, all the shopping channels, a few radio stations and that's about it. There are a few others dotted about, but there isn't much.

I would suggest you ebay your sky plus box, and buy a freeview pvr with the money. At least then you will be able to record !!

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    Just done this myself, couldn't justify the £40 expense of Sky so I've cancelled my subscription and got an aerial put up (even though the freeview website says I can't get freeview!). Got a Topfield 5800PVR 160GB HD freeview box , excellent signal strength/quality and haven't looked back. I'll probably keep the Sky+ box as a back up but I've also cancelled the Sky+ subscription so I can't use it as a PVR (despite the fact I paid £300 for it in the first place + about £500 in subscription fees while I've owned it!). With E4 moving to freeview and the option of TUTV at £7.99 a month it's a much better option financially, just depends if you would miss the movies/sports/Sky One programmes really.

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, I think I'll spring for a Toppy and cancel my sky sub,
    probably keep the sky box for the extra channels, just can't justify £420 a year for the odd sky1 show,
    I used to watch quite a few sky movies, but it's been really sucky for the last 6 months, I mean what the heck is Mystery Science Theater 3000 and frickin Columbo doing on sky movies? :confused: , pretty crappy service if you ask me.

spook

5. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been thinking about ditching my sky+ for a freeview with a hard-drive.

However, I currently have my sky+ box output connected to a distribution amp and set-up with magic eyes in other rooms in the house so the sky box can be controlled/viewed from there. Does anybody know if there are any freeview boxes that offer an equivelent?

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    Well the digisender for example can send the signal from a freeview box to another tv in the house and can be used as a remote control IR sender so you can control it also. So yes it is possible to do that

Andy

7. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Andy.

I was actually wondering if there are freeboxes that will take a DC remote signal into the RF out connector to contol the box as the sky boxes do.

8. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Try an SLX Omni link or omni link PLus it allows freeview video and dvd control