If I have Sky+ why would I need a HDD recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tejstar, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    As the title really, I was just wondering are there any advantages in having a HDD recorder over a normal DVD recorder if you have Sky+.

I imagine that any recordings made on Sky+ can be archived through the DVD recorder and at least Sky+ has a twin tuner so you can record one satellite channel whilst watching another.

With the ability to, unofficially, upgrade the Sky+ hard disk to 250gb I'm finding it difficult to justify the extra cost of a hdd recorder.

Am I missing something? :confused:

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It depends what you use it for and how often. The HDD means you can edit the recordings before dubbing on to DVD. This means that you can get better PQ or more programming at the same PQ (no adverts) on the one DVD. If like me you don't archive that often and don't mind fast forwarding through adverts then a DVDR with no HDD is adequate. If you archive a lot then having a HDD can save money (because of using fewer DVDs for the same PQ) but since DVD-Rs cost 30-40p you have to archive a lot to justify a HDD on cost.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Most users on here have Sky+ and a HDD/DVDR combo. The main advantage of having a DVD recorder with a HDD even when you have Sky+ is that it allows you to make editted recordings, at the highest possible quality and then dub them to DVD-R which will play on almost all DVD players.

The problem if you get a standalone DVDR then you can either edit or make recordings that play on other DVD players - you can't do both - hence the reason these units are so popular. You also have less control over bitrate settings.

Very good results can be achieved by pairing a standalone DVD recorder with a PC burner (see my Guide on the subject) but it is still isn't quite as slick as a HDD/DVDR combo.

Let me give you an example of the difference between the two setups (I'll use Toshiba as an example):

Example...
    You record a film from TV - it is a 2hr 30min hour recording (2hr 10min programming, 20mins adverts).

Situation On A Standalone (Toshiba DR3)
    On a standalone DVDR you need to either change the disk half way through or record at the 2hr 30min rate and then edit. You end recording is either going to be split in two or a lower quality as you have need to use a lower bitrate. If you have opted to edit then your recording will be incompatible with virtually all DVD players.

Situation On A HDD/DVDR (Toshiba RDXS32)
    You record using the 2 hour 10min rate onto the HDD (it will go on recording beyond the this point - until you stop it in fact) and record the whole film. You then edit and can do a lossless dub to DVD-R. You recording is now at the highest bitrate and will play on virtually other DVD players.

...and note that in the example above the recording quality between the two would be noticeably different as the HDD/DVDR would produce a high resolution recording whereas the standalone would produce a low resolution one.

In conclusion the all-round best solution is to have both Sky+ and as a timeshifter and the HDD/DVDR for editting and dubbing to DVD-R. Of course if you don't do much archiving you must ask yourself if it is worth it - but only you can decide that!

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    One thing to ad to this...

I picked up a cheap and cheerful (I hope) Pioneer 220S today so that I can archive off my recordings as we have a problem with the RF in our sky+ box(2nd time!). The first time we lost a load of recordings so this time around I figured that I'll back them up to a dvd-rw before it goes. Did a couple of disks today and I am impressed.

So when your sky goes POP you'll be glad you had something.

Tone

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Cheers for your replies guys - I have a Panny e85 on order and just needed a bit of reassurance :thumbsup:

6. davidcotton

davidcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just out of curiosity, where did you order the Panny from? Thinking about getting either this or the tosh.

7. WarPig843

WarPig843

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    davidcotton, I ordered my multi region DMRE85 from www.digital-point.co.uk for £418 (including next day delivery). I phoned the order through in the morning and received delivery at 1pm the following day which I thought was fantastic.

I could have got it slightly cheaper from www.digitaldirectuk.com, but I would have had to wait up to 7 days for delivery. The region 2 models are even cheaper.

The downside with only having HDD/DVR is that you have to ensure that the sky box is left on the required channel prior to any timed recording. This can be annoying when the girlfriend doesnt realise ive set the E85 to record, and changes the sky channel.

For this reason, Im considering getting SKY+. Hopefully I will then be able to guarantee making the recording I want from sky, transfer it to E85 HDD, edit adverts, and transfer to dvd if needed.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I'm getting mine as part of a package with the Panny Viera plasma.

The deal came with the e55 recorder free but I'm paying extra for the e85 - just wanted to make sure it was the right choice :D