If I have a BT line and a suitable exchange is ADSL guaranteed to work.

dan1979

Prominent Member
I have an inactive BT line in my property (no idea how long it's been out of use for), I connected a phone and dialled 17070 which gave me the phone number allocated to it, tried a few broadband availability checkers some said it's available some said it isn't.

Is this because they can check the line is active whilst others can't or could there be another issue?

The one that has me a little concerned it this one from the BT wholesale checker:

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

However, despite an engineer's visit to your premises it has been proved not possible for your telephone line to support broadband service. Please accept our apologies. We are continuing to look for alternative technology solutions and this site will be updated with developments as they happen.

Any ideas from those in the know, thanks

sbowler

Prominent Member
Sounds strange to me, go back to BT and ask for there broadband package, you may find it can suddenly be provided for you.

dan1979

Prominent Member
I reached back into my memory of 1999 when I got a BT line installed from my Dreamcast.

Using that number I get the same responses which has to be a good thing.

I will phone BT and ask them if I can have their broadband service on it (which I don't want).

When I phoned them the other day they told me there was no record of my property. They didn't suggest plugging a phone into the socket and doing a test :rolleyes:

sbowler

Prominent Member
Try calling on the neighbours and asking if they have broadband. Surely if they do they are getting it through the same local exchange, so why shouldnt you.

dan1979

Prominent Member
Everyone I know round here has Virgin (as I do at the moment) and I'm not about to go knocking on the doors of strangers.

J80FAB

Established Member
Mmmmm......

I've just posted in your initial thread but what you have posted here is interesting.

Apparently the BT checker isn't always correct or updated regularly, therefore it can provide false information.

The fact that it tells you that the phoneline will not support broadband could be simply due to the fact that the telephone line is not active, therefore you can't have broadband !

Once the line becomes active the BT broadband checker will probably change and tell you otherwise.

Rygar

Prominent Member
I have an inactive BT line in my property (no idea how long it's been out of use for), I connected a phone and dialled 17070 which gave me the phone number allocated to it, tried a few broadband availability checkers some said it's available some said it isn't.

Is this because they can check the line is active whilst others can't or could there be another issue?

The one that has me a little concerned it this one from the BT wholesale checker:

Any ideas from those in the know, thanks
What's your full post code?

dan1979

Prominent Member
The exchange wasn't a problem, I used to live a mile away and use the same one on an ADSL service.

My phoneline is now about to be activated and will be getting my new ISP soon.

BT said I had a 'gold line' whatever that means.

Rygar

Prominent Member
The reason for asking for the post code was simply to see how far you are from the exchange, which you can do easily for yourself here.
If you are very far away then there could indeed be a problem. If not then it should be OK.

The BT wholesale checker is simply a data base and is not always accurate or up to date. Despite the language they use there is no actual live test performed on the line to determine availabilty or likely speed (but I think there is a simple live test carried out to determine if a broadband service already exists on the line or not). Most of the ISPs checkers are based on it and they are not always up to date either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom