if i had to buy a beatles album...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by reevesy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    always been more of a stones man meself but after hearing a few of the lesser played tracks on the radio lately i'm thinking i really should get a least one of their albums.....did'nt fancy forking out for the anthology set.

.......thing is, if you had to have one album in your collection,which one?

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    The White Album :thumbsup:

3. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I am not a huge Beatles fan and haven't heard all their albums.
    However, I do own the following 4 :-

Rubber Soul,
    Revolver,
    Sgt. Pepper......
    The Beatles (White album).

I'm going to be very predictable and say my favourite is Revolver.
    Sgt Pepper is very good indeed.
    I will get flamed for this :rolleyes: but I think the White album contains a higher proportion of filler than the others (it is a double after all), but it also contains some real classics (Blackbird, While my guitar gently weeps, helter skelter etc)
    I haven't listened to Rubber Soul a great deal.

Yep, Revolver for me; but there will be something to interest you in the White Album, it has more of the 'lesser played tracks'.
    If you are a fan of the Jam, you may recognise Taxman, the first track off Revolver

4. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Huwg - filler :eek: consider yourself flambed :devil:

5. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    :hiya:
    ok, maybe filler was the wrong word; I suppose 'less known to a non Bealtes fan' would be a better term.

I'm still sticking with Revolver. But lets face it, you can't go wrong with either of them. :smashin:

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Huwg

Reveolver is superb too :thumbsup:

HAve you heard them in the DTS 5.1 mixes that are doing the rounds?

7. jeiti

jeiti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Revolver - Listen to how modern music was born
    Rubber Soul - Some of the best poptunes ever
    Sgt. Pepper - Greatness evolves
    White album - Creative fireworks
    Abbey Road - Splendid finale

These 5 stand skyhigh above the rest. I reckon they are among the 50 best albums ever. Funny thing is that none of these have Rain, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane or Help on them. Just goes to show the genious songwriting of The Fab Four.

Cheers.

8. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    if you had to have only one, then the white album being not only a double, but about 50 mins per side instead of 40 mins on other albums, is probably a good start

however, revolver is probably the best beatles album. rubber soul was the start of the prime beatles period, but egged on by pet sounds, they evolved to create revolver. brian wilson competed with smile, but took so much drugs the album was never released (the rerecorded version recently doesn't count). the beatles then slipped in sgt pepper, and the stones reacted with satanic majesty. they continued to dabble with psychedilia with magical mystery tour and yellow submarine, before getting all hippyish with the double album simply entitled "the beatles", known to all as the white album. after this they tried to get back to basics, and filmed rehearsals for the let it be movie and album that was released after the beatles split up, however before splitting they created a fine studio album in abbey road

so in order, white album, revolver, abbey road, sgt pepper, rubber soul, if you wanted to buy the albums i would say. not necessarily an order of what was best, but what would draw you in the most. the pre rubber soul albums are more what you would call "mop head" beatles pop albums, but from rubber soul onwards the sound is very mature

9. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    no. i presume these are fan created mixes? DTS cd?

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Unique

The DTS mixes I would imagine were created by using a combination of mono, stereo and alternate mixes and OOPS and running them thru' a DTS encoder. Could be wrong though....

Your description of their albums is nearly right.

To dismiss the pre-Rubber Soul albums is to do them an injustice as they have some very fine moments and great tracks on the five albums, numerous singles and EP only tracks like Long Tall Sally.

Rubber Soul is what Brian Wilson has stated made him do Pet Sounds and is a superb album as is the single We Can Work It Out / Day Tripper which wasn't included among the 14 album tracks.

Revolver is a milestone in music and again the single Paperback Writer / Rain is a gem. To think Tomorrow Never Knows was recorded 40 years ago :eek:

Yellow Submarine has four "original tracks" of which Only A Northern Song, It's All Too Much and All Together Now were recorded during the Sgt.Pepper sessions, as were Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane which began it all, between December 1966 and May 1967. Hey Bulldog was recorded during the Lady Madonna sessions during February / March 1968.

Again no single was taken from Sgt.Pepper!

Magical Mystery Tour was issued as a double EP in the UK at the same time as the Hello Goodbye single to tie in with the film being shown on BBC at Christmas 1967. In the US they decided to add the EP tracks with the singles from 1967 to create an LP.

Thw White Album emerged from their trip to India where around 40-50 songs were written either during or after the trip. Hey Jude / Revolution single also emerged from these sessions.

Let It Be started off late January 1969 in Twickenham film studios and at Apple at 3 Saville Row. George Martin recorded and mixed the album as Get Back which was shelved, then Glyn Johns had a go and it was shelved again.

Before they sarted on Abbey Road a few months later John & Paul recoreded the Ballad of John & Yoko and they 4 got back together a few weeks later to record Georg'es Old Brown Shoe. Get Back was issued as a single shortly followed by the BoJ&Y. The LIB...Naked album is a good reflection of what might have been although it has been polished up. The numerous Get Back bootlegs out there are closer to what might have been.

Abbey Road was the last time the four got together as a band.

George, Paul & Ringo got together early 1970 to record I Me Mine as it was going to be featured in the Let it be Film. Only a performance from Twickenham was recorded.

Phil Spector then got his hands on LIB and actually spliced I Me Mine to make it longer than the short version recorded by G, P &R. The Let it Be single however is the George Martin mix was the Leslie'd guitar taking the lead instead of George's straight Telecaster on the album.

The Yellow Submarine Songtrack album have recent mixes and tracks like Nowhere Man sound like they were recorded yesterday (excuse the pun) compared to the original stereo mix with the vocals on one channel and the instruments on the other.

11. jeiti

jeiti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yepp, it's a timeless classic. Listened to it yesterday in fact. Shows what a genius John was.

Cheers.

12. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,028
    Abbey Road has always moved me, a great final album

13. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Not just John! Macca helped with writting the music and was mainly responsible for the tape loops (the seagulls etc). Don't forget George's guitar and Ringo's fantastic drum beat

14. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i'm not dismissing the earlier stuff, i'm a massive beatles fan. it's just that they grew up hugely from rubber soul and progressed in big steps from each album onwards, in the space of 3/4 years. i've also got a large amount of unnoficial releases. again with the beach boys i've got a stack of stuff, but the pet sounds/smile era is the best by far. again i've got a ton of unnoficial stuff from that period, pretty amazing documents of what went on (would bore the pants of most tho)

i'm not such a fan of sgt pepper tho. that and pet sounds would make fantastic 5.1 mixes (official ones i mean). i prefer the magical myster tour/yellow submarine tracks, eps myself

and i've only listened to the new LIB a few times, altho i've listened to the unnoficial versions far more (i've got hours and hours and hours of that stuff)

the white album is a bit patchy at times, but overall it's a good album. abbey road is a very accomplished and mature album tho. debatably one of thier best, altho i think most fans will always choose revolver

15. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'd go for Abbey Road as well. It is definitely the one that holds together best as an actual album imho. Always thought Sgt Pepper and to a lesser extent Reveolver are a bit overrated. I can appreciate they are very innovative for their time and pushed things along technically. I think there are some great tracks on them but also some so so ones. My second choice would be Rubber Soul.

16. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    My fav tracks from the Beatles summer of 67 are Blue Jay and Baby, You're A Rich Man :thumbsup:

I have loads of Beach Boys stuff too and you're right it goes on and on :eek: Have you got the Pet Sounds Sessions Boxed Set?

Also worth getting are the Stones Satanic Sessions :smashin:

17. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i have the official pet sounds box, and i thought i had a set of sessions of pet sounds i think 6 discs, and i just found 3 disc of smile sessions (plus i have a few other smile discs), i have most of the alt beatles albums, a few stones ones, but not the satanic sessions. i only came across that once and it was someone elses. at the time i didn't know that album, i was more into the 70s stuff (still am). i have tons of stuff but my cds haven't been in any order since moving, so it's hard to find stuff

18. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    must admit revolver has cropped up in as a maybe a few times.....as the white album except thats got oblee do oblee dah or whatever it's called on (whats all that about?)
    regarding the anthology set..is that made up of different sperate double cds or is just the one box set?.
    been a bit lazy and not looked it up yet.

19. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    They are three separate double cds. My personal favourite is the second one. The third one is good as well whilst the first one is more for the die hard fan as a lot of it is live recordings or tapes from before they got a deal. With the other two you really get a sense of how some of their songs started life and how they built them up in the studio.

20. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    herbal cigarettes :D

21. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,178
    yeah figures:rolleyes:

22. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da is about a market trader called Desmond who falls for a club singer called Molly. They buy a ring, get married and have kids. Desmond then gets into Cross Dressing and Molly has to run the market stall.

So if you want some fun, take Ob-La-Di-Blah-Da

23. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    When I was in my teens I went and bought all 13 Beatles albums (about 25 years ago now :eek: ). Most of them I got from small, independant record shops in my area and was lucky enough to find eight original releases (second hand but in good nick). At the time, my favourites were the White album followed by Rubber Soul. I haven't played any of the records for about 15 years now due to the fact that I haven't had a turntable in that time :suicide: .
    I might get myself a turntable just to see if my opinions have changed over the past few years.

24. GETanner

GETanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Don't overlook the two double albums

1962-1966 & 1967-1970, better known as the "Red" & "Blue" Albums.

May be a compilation and therefore not strictly a studio album but they are a good introduction to The Beatles.

G

25. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yep, my Dad bought me the Red and Blue albums when I was a little 'un and I rebought them later when they were released on CD. As you say a good introduction. I may have to follow some of these recommendations in this thread and dip more of my toe into the Beatle's music.

26. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My personal favourite is Magical Mystery Tour, especially side 2 imagine getting one of these classic songs on an album but 4 or 5 of these are just awesome.

1. Magical Mystery Tour
    2. Fool On The Hill
    3. Flying
    4. Blue Jay Way
    5. Your Mother Should Know
    6. I Am The Walrus
    7. Hello Goodbye
    8. Strawberry Fields Forever
    9. Penny Lane
    10. Baby You're A Rich Man
    11. All You Need Is Love

Would also recommend the white album, as for the revolver album some herbal cigarettes would be well in order :eek:

Regards

Gary

27. amgard

amgard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I too listened to 'Tomorrow Never Knows' yesterday, though I'm saving 'Yesterday' for tomorrow :suicide:

Having all of the albums I would have to agree that Revolver is the peak of the writing and recording talents, but that is not to dismiss the others.

One recording I've not heard is the mono version of Sgt Pepper, which according to the engineers of the album is the definitive version:
    (from 'The complete Beatles recording sessions' by Mark Lewisohn)

5.1 !!! ... Ah how times have changed !

28. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I'm not young and not really a fan (I can hear the screams already) but I do have The White Album and Revolver, the latter because when I was around 12ish my Dad had an 8 track in the car and only 3 tapes, Revolver used to be on endlessly, so much so that even he can't remember what the other two were.

Maybe if he had had more I would be a bigger fan instead of the huge Zeppelin fan I became (blame my mates elder brothers)

29. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Reevesy,
    Did you buy an album in the end; if so which one?

30. geoffcb

geoffcb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, a lot of fans don't realise it was the final album, as Let It Be came out later. They might not realise it uses a Moog synthesiser as well.
    So I'd recommend this and LIB Naked.

I actually inserted Her Majesty (sounds rude) back into the medley, where it was cut out between Mean Mr Mustard and Polythene Pam. It fits! :)