1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If i get the PV500 will i need a new dvd player

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dapex, Jun 8, 2005.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,
    I am seriously looking into getting the PV500 but I have read a few reportes that state the picture is nothing special with a bog standard dvd player. I had planned on buying the PV500 with the free dvd recorder, will this give a good enough picture or do i need something better? If something better is needed, what should I be looking for?? Is it a case of a better dvd player, or just one with better connections.

Most my viewing is done via Sky+ which will be fed VIA RGB scart, does that sound OK? and xbox via hd-def, and xbox via RGB scart for xbox live...

2. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the best possible picture, by all means get a DVDPlayer that can output 720P.

Without scaling to 720P, the picture looks OK but not really great.

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I play back my dvds using the Panny E95 on component and the picture quality is fantastic. Even sky on the new JVC scart leads is starting to look very good.

4. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wow, quick reply, Can you reccomend any suitable dvd players? Does it matter what the connection is as long as it can output at 720p? Are there any DVD recorders that output at 720P???

Cheers

5. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Greyhorse, you say its starting to look very good on sky, is this just becasue you are getitng used to it? Becasue of work I cant seem to get time to drive to any shops that have the PV500 on show (dont know any in Nottingham) but I currently have a 42" RPTV, am i correct in hoping that the PV500 picture cant be any worse than an old RPTV???

Cheers

6. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you have an output of 720P (or 1080i) you´ll automatically have a DVDplayer that has HDMI.

Check out the Denon Players (1910, 2910....) they have 720P/1080i output and cost about 250€. The Panasonic S97 also has an internal scaler that outputs 720P.

It really makes a difference... almost looks like HD.

7. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have fitted new leads for sky pox, changed some settings, advice from senior member and the quality is much better than when I was using poor quality leads, with the wrong settings. The more I play the more IM finding out.

8. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting confused a bit here - surly the plasma screen does the upscaling for you?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Why???
    Theplasma will scale the input to native anyway, so this is only a benefit if the DVD player scales better than the plasma!!!

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I will be selling the ES10 and I have bought a Harmon Kardon DVD 25 for £105 of the classified here, should be a very good picture throught component.

I don't think you need to woory about a DVD player with HDMI or a scaler, just a decent one with component out - the plasma will scale it for you.

Should be getting the plasma next Wed, will let you know what the pic quality is like through component.

I will also be connecting the PC to the plasma, so I will play a DVD through that and see how it compares.

11. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my testing, the internal scaler of the PV500 doesn´t do a good job with component DVD input. (I´ve tried 2 different Sony DVD Players) - the DVD image was average.

Using external scaling through the DVDPlayer was MUCH better.

So, I guess the internal scaler isn´t that good...

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Which DVD player and connections?

13. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone confirm this? I have been told by several people that I will not need a DVD player that outputs 720p, as the Panasonic scales very good. I have a Pioneer DV575a, and I hope I don't need to buy a new player as I am really satisfied with the one I have.

14. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine was a Sony 730P with Component (YUV). It used to give me a brilliant picture with my CRT... but with the Panny, it was very grainy.

The other was a Sony, too but I don´t remember which one.. it was component/YUV, too.

15. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In advance of the delivery of my 42PV500 I invested in a new DVD player. My first choice was the Denon 1910 but they seem hard to come by now, dunno why, they were just out when I started looking in January. In the end I went for the Panasonic S97, just based on feedback on here and reading a few magazine reviews. Picked it up for £170 from Richer Sounds (can be had for £150 off the web).

The reason I upgraded is simply that my old Pioneer 444 only has RGB Scart out, I wanted at least component, but the S97 has HDMI so I have also invested in a HDMI->HDMI cable (although you do get one with the DVD player).

I will post my thoughts when its all setup, I am not an expert at all though.

My view was, I've spent over £2k on the screen, I don't want to be disappointed with the picture, particularly on DVD...

16. Moncs

Moncs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will be getting my PV500 next week, looking for a decent DVD player, I was thinking of getting the Panasonic DVDR Home Cinema System, SC-HT1500.

What are peoples comments on this system to use on this TV. I would obviously prefer to get another system which will give me better results.

Also, could someone tell me if that system is multi region?

17. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Hoping my old Tosh SD220E will still do me proud when I finally take the HD PDP plunge! At least until Blu-Ray comes out and into my price range for an upgrade!