Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

if I end alg.exe, does firewall end too?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey everyone,

whenever i start my pc, alg.exe is there. i can easily end it without any problems (i think). if i do, is the firewall still on? or is the crappy os causing me more trouble? (xp home)

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    Is ALG.exe causing problems? or do you just mean you can see it there in task manager?

It's one of the core components of windows, it handles connection sharing/firewall.. so will always be there normally... stopping alg.exe will disable the XP firewall, most certainly.

I don't know of anything that hijacks alg.exe, so you shouldn't be having any problems from it?

unless anybody knows any better?

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i meant with 'problems' that it is so easy to accidently stop the firewall. i wouldve thought that windows will not let you stop a process that runs something as important as a firewall without a warning, or not at all.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,601
    I suppose it's because it's (the FW) only in real terms an optional component, and not actually a core part of the system.
    I'm not 100% sure if alg.exe handles anything else, but i've not heard of any other dependant services..

If you try shutting down any running processes which are critical, it won't let you.
    Manually terminating running services isn't something that can really be done by accident, unless you're already looking around in task manager..?

The service name isn't exactly helpful though, 'aplication layer gateway' means so little to most people (me included), on that basis you're right, it should be either protected, or the firewall service should run as it's own seperate service.exe with a more meaningful name..

To be honest, the XP firewall is not that clever anyway. It's the first thing I get rid of, (after Messenger and Internet Explorer!). The 3rd party products out there offer much better program control, and for inbound attacks a NAT/Spi HW firewall such as on routers can't really be beaten.