If I cancel Sky will I still get BBC1/2/ITV?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by zAndy1, Nov 27, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    Hi,
    If I cancel my Sky subscription will I still be able to receive BBC1/2, ITV1/2, anything else on my Sky+ box?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    Further to this... just realised Sky have Freesat available now. If I cancel Sky do I still need to buy the £20 freesat card or will my current card work with all the freesat channels? Also would I be able to use my Sky+ box with Freesat as long as I pay the Sky+ subscription (assume I will)

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes an ex-subscription smartcard will still decode the FTV channels and of course the FTA channels don't need a card anyway. I read that ITV2 was now FTV but this may just be down to the ending of the current ITV contract and until such time that a new one is negotiated or not as the case may be.
    SKY+ can be used fully with a FTV card by payign the £10 a month sub, many CS reps are unaware of this option so you might have to ring a few times or talk to a supervisor who knows what he/she is doing.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    So it would seem that it's a better option than going down the freeview route and getting a PVR box for that really. Ok I'll be paying £10 pm for Sky+ but I'll have to fork out for a new aerial (haven't got one at the moment) and a PVR freeview box and Sky+ is very good at what it does at the end of the day...

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,042
    Well, just rang them to cancel and just keep my Sky+ subscription and they offered me the package I'm on now (Sky world) for £20.50 per month for the next 3 months (i.e. half price). Considering I was going to pay £10 anyway I figured what the hell, might as well take em up on that, will cancel at the end of the 3 months anyway!

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Still £30+ in their pockets and not yours!

Having just cancelled I can confirm your card/box will still work for the non-sub channels. I too was offered the reduced subscription for 3 months - when I asked the rep what the point was, as I was cancelling because we just weren't watching the channels - she sort of just shrugged (in a telephone type way of course!).

I then went and spent a years subscription on a new surround amp :)

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The offer has to be made, for those cancelling due to money being a little tight a half price offer is good for them and for SKY. For those cancelling for lack of worthwhile content (and are being honest about it) then it costs nothing to make the offer and lets face it once a CS rep has learnt the script better not let things deviate too much:)

The £20.50 SKY world deal also includes the SKY+ sub so consider it as £10 a month for a package costing £41, consider TUTV would cost him only a couple of quid less than the deal is a bargin:)

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The offer was not put on the table for myself, i even gave them an oppertunity to tempt me to stay by offering it and was told that it was not an option (even though friends and family were offered this).

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    ''ITV today (19/11) said that an announcement relating to its presence on Sky Digital has been delayed. ITV's £17m annually contract with Sky to run its main channel ITV1 and sister station ITV2 expires this Sunday, however an extension of two months has been agreed by BSkyB. At stake is whether ITV continues to pay for the place on BSkyB's satellite and its encryption service, which stops viewers outside the UK picking up ITV channels, or joins the BBC by broadcasting "in the clear". "We've signed a two-month extension, so there'll be no news on Sunday. During that time, we'll carry on negotiating," said ITV's managing director, Mick Desmond. "ITV and Sky have reached a temporary extension over conditional access arrangements relating to digital satellite distribution of ITV1 and ITV2," he said. "As a result ITV1 and ITV2 will remain encrypted for the time being. Further discussion will take place in due course," the spokesman added. ITV is unlikely to pay as much as the £17m a year it has paid for encryption - or "conditional access" - but it is also considering the more radical option of broadcasting in the clear. If it went "in the clear", following a lead set by the BBC last year when it abandoned its encryption deal with BSkyB, that could have major implications for the satellite TV business''.