If I buy a Sky+ box without subscribing...

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RedRose, Apr 25, 2005.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ...what happens? As I understand it, the Sky+ box is basically a HD recorder with 2 Sky tuners. If I buy one and put in my existing Sky viewer card will both tuners operate, and if so what is it I get for the extra £10 per month? I love the way their web site says Sky+ subscription is FREE! (and then in tiny letter - "if you currently have 2 or more premier channels") gits! If it's such a bargain why hide the cost in such small writing?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you don't subscribe then the Sky+ box will operate as an ordinary digibox. The DD5.1 from the optical output will work (on the channels that support it) but you won't be able to make use of the recording/live pause features.

John

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Can you explain that further please? Does it mean that record will not work at all i.e. record the same channel you are watching?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    If you don't subscribe to Sky+ then none of the recording facilities will work.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    That's right, the recording facility will not work at all unless you subscribe.

John

6. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks guys, just embarking on the journey to Sky with Sky+ after a 4 year stint with Telewest, the service move was brought on by a house move. The information available on this forum is really helpful......now where's that plasma forum? ... got the house sorted, got the Sky sorted..... now just need to sort a decent telly.

Thanks again

7. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What a pile of Poo! I can't think of any other appliance or device where a major feature doesn't work (at all) without "renting" that functionality from a company.
    Apart from ADSL modems or POTS modems but even then the devices are not actually crippled, they just have nothing to connect to. With Sky+ your box is actually crippled if you don't subscribe. Outrageous. I think I'll look for a hack just because I hate this kind of thing.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    And what makes you think you should get it free when the rest of us pay for it (either via the additional £10 or by paying for the extra channels). It's not like there's any secret that you have to pay, it's like any other service that you pay for - if you don't want to pay, don't have it.

Sorry but it really annoys me when people want to get stuff free just because they don't agree with having to pay for it :mad:

John

9. dangerouseddy

dangerouseddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the £10 is to pay towards the advertising revenue lost, as to be honest does anybody with sky+ watch them?

10. robwil

robwil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello a question I hope some more expierenced people can answer please, I have multi room ( sky + in one room and a ordinary pace in the other) how difficult is it for me if I buy another sky + and plug it in instead of the ordinary receiver. ie will work with same card and will i need to make any changes to the lnb and anyone know best place to buy.

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you want to use the dual tuners and recording features you'd need to replace the existing single cable with a twin cable the same as will currently go to your existing Sky+ box. I beleive that you can get some form of signal splitter that allows you use a single cable but I don't know how good they are.

You'd then need to call Sky to get them to 'marry' your existing card to your new box.

HTH

John

12. robwil

robwil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx john I was hoping to buy it off Sky but they were quoting £249 seems cheaper elsewere.

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    If you subscribe to Sports or to Movies it is free, there used to be an extra subscription charge on top of this, so it's far cheaper these days. If you also take into account that you are getting an incredibly flexible hard disk recorder with twin tuners for very little money, then I think it's well worth it.

14. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I guess the reason that $ky get away with ripping people off £10 a month for letting people use the box that THEY (the people) own is because there are people out there who say "aaw just pay up and don't be a misery". How very English. If everyone refused to pay you'd soon see the price drop. Remember the Poll Tax? (that was the Scots who refused to take it up the **** BTW). If you watch football and movies you don't get charged, so why the hell should I be penalised just because I don't want to spend my entire life in front of the box being advertised at. I know I know I don't have to. Five minutes of ads every 15 minutes and all for the bargain price of at least £20 per month. No way.
    In terms of the "lack of secrets" I would contest this. Just where exactly in the info does it say "if you don't subsribe your box will not function as a recorder" or words to that effect? Yes, it says you need to subscribe but it doesn't explain the consequnces of not doing. Just my 2p worth. I'm off to buy a Freeview PVR. :)

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    This is a quote from the Sky+ T&C's on their website:

"Sky+/Sky+160: Only compatible with digital satellite. Sky digital subscription required for Sky digital programming. Sky+ subscription required to use the Personal Video Recorder features of Sky+/Sky+160. Sky+ subscription is free if you subscribe to two or more of Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Movies 1 and Sky Movies 2 (otherwise £10/ €15 a month). Minimum Sky+ subscription 12 months. Professional installation and fixed telephone line connection for 12 months required. Standard installation costs [£60/€75] for existing Sky digital subscribers. Existing Sky+ customer 160 offer : Sky+ 160 is available to existing Sky+ customers for a reduced price of £299 (normally £399) until 30 April 2005 . Sky+ customers who would like to take up this offer must call 08708 500 245. "

I think it makes it VERY clear that you only get the recording facilities if you take out the subscription...

John

16. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Out of interest, what's the cheapest Sky+ option? To go for one of the premium channels, or to choose a cheaper package and pay the £10-per-month sub?

I currently have the film channels, but changed circumstances mean that I rarely watch (or even record for later watching) movies at the moment.

Thanks,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    :rotfl: What, you mean like TIVO ? Outrageous ! :rotfl:

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The cheapest option is to choose your preferred channel package then add on the £10 a month. If you do not want the movies or the sports then even paying an extra few quid a month is wasted if you don't watch them.
    The cheapest is just to have to SKY+ sub at a tenner a month.

SKY removed the full channel package lineup and prices quite a while ago but you'll find an upto date list here.

I upgraded from Family pack plus SKY+ sub (£29.50) to SKY Sports World (£33) which includes the SKY+ subscription, I look at it at getting the sports channels for an additional £3.50 a month which is what the bods at SKY marketing would have been hoping for:)

19. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Starburst,

Thanks for that link to the package details; very useful, if a trifle difficult to follow. Sorry about the delay in replying.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

20. dazzer123

dazzer123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have Sky+ and find it really useful I have the sky movie world package so that I can record but I don’t really want it never watch sky movies and after paying £199.99 for my box I think this is a complete rip off.

What I would really like is sky family pack and still be able to record on my hardware, the only reason I have sky+ function at the moment is because they are doing movie world at half price for 3 months because I cancelled my subscription, after 3 months I am afraid they can turn it off again.

When they reconnected me on the special offer the guy on the phone said there was talk of enabling sky+ function on the family pack very soon and that if I took the 3 month offer there was every chance that family pack recording could become reality at the end of it, I am sure he told me this just to get me to resubscribe but as I say after 3 months if I can not record on family pack then I revert to recording on my Thompson dhd4000 and will cancel sky.

Also in my opinion sky multiroom another great feature of sky but another rip off £10 a month extra for channels you have already paid for shish I guess they must be sending the transmission to my dish twice hence the extra fee lol.