If I bought an Onkyo 609

zippo4

Standard Member
I'm thinking of buying an Onkyo 609.If I did could I use it with my NAD stereo amplifier? I am thinking I could use the Onkyo to connect to the NAD for stereo playback using my Dali Lektor 2s but then revert back to the Onkyo for 5.1 playback

Would that work?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can by treating the NAD as though it were a power amp and by utilising the Onkyo's front stereo pre outs, but this is tricky and fraught with danger of you accidentally overloading the stereo integrated amp.

It is probably better to employ the use of a dedicated amp switch/audio router:
TC-7220 AUDIO ROUTER

This would allow you to have both amps connected to the speakers and let you switch between the two without having to rewire them.

dante01

Distinguished Member
UPDATE

I've just remembered that the Onkyo TXNR609 lacks pre outs so it would not be possible to use your NAD as a power amp with it.

zippo4

Standard Member
Oh. That's a shame. And it seemed perfect in every other way top. I assume that the Onkyo on its own wouldn't be on par with a Nad C326bee for stereo reproduction?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Oh. That's a shame. And it seemed perfect in every other way top. I assume that the Onkyo on its own wouldn't be on par with a Nad C326bee for stereo reproduction?

Not really, no AV amp at this level will be. You'd need to spend £800 plus to get that kind of stereo audio quality from an AV amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom