If I already have a Sky+ box, is a dvd recorder with a HDD necessary?

epic

Standard Member
Hi all

I have a Sky+ which, like most people I imagine, is almost full. My question is whether I should buy a dvd recorder with or without a HDD?

I am torn between, for instance, a Sony RDR-GX350B dvd recorder, which i can get from amazon for around £95 or a Sony RDR-XD890 which includes a 160GB HDD for around £170.

The two schools of thought, from what I can see, are:

1. The Sky+ box is already a HDD so it's unnecessary to spend more money on a dvd recorder with a HDD.

and

2. Buying a dvd recorder with a HDD allows you to edit far easier and also allow you to record and watch another program at the same time.

Is this basically correct? And when people say it's far easier to edit out ads and whatnot, this mean that one can do it directly using the recorder itself (i.e. I don't need to use a PC etc)? How does one go about this - and is it possible using the recorder I mentioned above?

So essentially the primary benefit in paying the extra is to have dvd recordings that are without ads? Or are there additional benefits?

Thanks for your help!

ramjet

Banned
a dvd recorder has its own tuner and can record from a different source than the sky box

the 890 can do this from either a digital freeview tuner or its analogue tuner , or from the sky box , and can do this to its hdd or to a dvd , so the tuner is useful and is also independent of the sky box , so should you want to record and preserve a film from bbc1 for instance , its simpler to tell the recorder to do the task and not have to record on sky plus , and then transfer afterwards in real time from sky to the recorder , so cutting out that part of the process , making it only necessary if you have recorded from a sky channel onto the plus box hdd

ad dvd recorder with a hdd cannot record one channel and record another , it can only do the one task from any source , so can only record from its internal tuner or an external source , but only one at once

ads can be deleted using an editing function called a to b editing , so you mark the start and delete points and it cuts out anything in between , then you can transfer to dvd

it can record and allow you to play back a previous recording , or play a dvd instead

and the 890 can play back divx from a disk too

the 350 is analogue and not digital ( a single analogue tuner )

the 890 is both analogue and digital ( two tuners )

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi all

I have a Sky+ which, like most people I imagine, is almost full. My question is whether I should buy a dvd recorder with or without a HDD?

I am torn between, for instance, a Sony RDR-GX350B dvd recorder, which i can get from amazon for around £95 or a Sony RDR-XD890 which includes a 160GB HDD for around £170.

1. The Sky+ box is already a HDD so it's unnecessary to spend more money on a dvd recorder with a HDD.

and

2. Buying a dvd recorder with a HDD allows you to edit far easier and also allow you to record and watch another program at the same time.

Is this basically correct? And when people say it's far easier to edit out ads and whatnot, this mean that one can do it directly using the recorder itself (i.e. I don't need to use a PC etc)? How does one go about this - and is it possible using the recorder I mentioned above?

So essentially the primary benefit in paying the extra is to have dvd recordings that are without ads? Or are there additional benefits?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the forum.

Yes - your understanding is correct.

Irrespective of the apparent 'lack of need', I very strongly recommend the purchase of a DVD recorder with a HDD... in ALL circumstances.

The improvement in usability and convenience justifies it alone.... It is the one thing that all experienced users agree about....and yes, you can do all the editing necessary on the unit itself.

If you happen to have a conventional aerial, the unit would provide an alternative recording and archiving device.

Be prepared to consider the Panasonic EX78 also as this has marginally wider scope of editing facilities...albeit the Sony 890 is very good too.

Boon72

i bought a dvd with freeveiw & hdd, to originally help record stuff fot the times when 3 shows were on at the same time :D funnily enough it doesnt happen much lol, but i do use it for offloading films / tv series off my sky hdd to it to free it up :thumbsup:

lotsatoys

A dvd recorder with a HDD,is the way to go,IMO,you have much more flexibility.For example you can offload programmes to the hdd,to free up space on the Sky+ even if you have no intention to archive to dvd, and as you say you can also use it to record from the Freeview channels to reduce the inevitable programme clashes on the Sky+ box. You will need to record from the rgb tv output scart though, to achieve quality recordings.:)

lotsatoys

There were no replies to this query,when I started to type my answer to this post! Damn I must be slow!:D

epic

Standard Member
Sounds like the 890 is the way to go (the panasonic looks good, Gavtech, but my TV is Sony and would prefer to keep them uniform - my anal retentive side coming through I think!)

My other question is in regards to HDMI cables and the current SCART. If I want to connect up my HD TV, Sky+ and Dvd recorder, how do I go about this? I am told I should buy a HDMI cable, but do these replace the SCARTS? And do I need two separate HDMI cables for recorder to Sky+ and then Sky+ to TV?

ramjet

Banned
tv scart output socket on the sky box goes to the line 1 input on the 890

then its either a scart from the 890 line 3 to the tv , OR a hdmi from the 890 to the tv

so two 21 pin scarts , or 1 21 pin scart and 1 hdmi cable

the sky box vcr socket can be used to go to the tv for alternative sky box viweing , as long as you get no interference when trying it , otherwise you leave it out

sky plus does not have a hdmi , either in or out

colin se62

Standard Member
sky plus does not have a hdmi , either in or out

So this means we can't record HI DEF from sky, do we need a Hi Def recorder for this and are they available??

ramjet

Banned
sky plus HD does not give high def from its normal outputs , just displays it over hdmi to your tv

and no there are no high def recorders at the moment in the uk , so you cannot record sky HD to anything apart from its own internal hdd in high def

epic

Standard Member
question:

if i was to purchase DVD+R blank discs for this recorder, it is still possible to burn multiple tv shows from my DVD Recorder HDD onto one disc? Or do you need DVD+RW discs for this? (because it is not all in 'one go' so to speak, but a culmination of different shows/burns).

Thanks for your help.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi all

There is an alternative and cheaper option...replace your Sky box HDD with a larger size.

R

RosemaryP

question:

if i was to purchase DVD+R blank discs for this recorder, it is still possible to burn multiple tv shows from my DVD Recorder HDD onto one disc? Or do you need DVD+RW discs for this? (because it is not all in 'one go' so to speak, but a culmination of different shows/burns).

Thanks for your help.
You can record as many as will fit on the disk. Panasonic and Sony prefer DVD-R rather than +. RW disks can be reformatted to use again when you have watched what is on them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom