If anyone wants advice on gas/central heating/boilers. feel free to ask

reevesy

Distinguished Member
House built in the 90's with a back boiler? Are you sure?

well estate agent said back boiler behind the front room gas fire...in the rest of the house i could only see a hot water tank and room thermostat ..rightmove states built in 95

house was full of stuff as the old guy has just had a stroke...only had a quick initial look round... had potential....think they're going to empty it next week so i said i'd go back for a second more detail look.

sep8001

Hi

Looking for a very slim radiator to fit a 330mm wide and 1000mm hight space. Any suggestions on what to look for and where?

The only ones I have been able to find online is type and make:

Not sure on the quality.

Thank you

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Can someone advise how a: Ideal logic max 30kw with a 10 year warranty compares to a: Viessmann 050w 29kw with a 10 year warranty?
Thanks

reevesy

Distinguished Member
It’s not impossible but it’s highly unlikely...
Thanks

Well personally I've only experience of normal boilers...since my first house I've only had combi's

As mentioned couldn't see any sign of a boiler anywhere...only a hot water tank and a room thermostat down stairs ...and a gas fire

Bit of advice needed mate .What should I look for when I go back ?

Cheers

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Here's an odd question, and maybe this a question for the sparks not the plumbers.

Is there a way to limit the power to the immersion? I just got solar panels installed and I'm often generating more than I can use.

I could of course fit a hot water diverter, but they're fairly expensive and the payback time is way too long.

I do have a wifi switch on the immersion so I can turn it on remotely provided the solar production is good. But since the immersion is such a high power item, it demands too much power all at once and I end up drawing from the grid.

So is there a way to slow it down? So it heats longer and slower rather than full pelt?

We don't currently have a feed in tariff for excess power so anything I don't find a home for is lost.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Thanks

Well personally I've only experience of normal boilers...since my first house I've only had combi's

As mentioned couldn't see any sign of a boiler anywhere...only a hot water tank and a room thermostat down stairs ...and a gas fire

Bit of advice needed mate .What should I look for when I go back ?

Cheers
I’ve seen backboilers that we’re fitted in the 90’s and even early 2000’s so it’s not that unlikely that you have a back boiler. They even released a condensing back boiler when standard efficiency boilers were no longer allowed.
I’m not sure there are many of them in the country through ao you probably don’t have a condensing one.

When you go back you could always ask to “test” the heating, then go and stand in the living room or wherever you think the back boiler is and you’ll no doubt hear it roaring away. Another big give away will be a huge air vent in the living room, usually somewhere on the outside wall.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Can someone advise how a: Ideal logic max 30kw with a 10 year warranty compares to a: Viessmann 050w 29kw with a 10 year warranty?
Thanks
Much of a muchness id say. This might not apply to where you live but you don’t see many veissmanns down my way. Logics are everywhere so parts and finding an engineer to work on it won’t be a problem.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
not a heating question but was hoping a plumber could help me out with an electric shower part/problem

my parents gainsborough princess ii shower constantly drips when off from the hose...long story short i had a look and eventually think its the thermstatic control spindle thingy that the control turny thing connects to...theres a rubber washer on the end of it which looks a bit rough round the edges.

trouble is i cant seem to to suss out how its removed to be replaced?
...at the monent as its an old shower at least it can still be used so dont want to knacker t trying to remove it improperly...i've attached a photo of it

thumbnail_IMG_20200805_153320.jpg

its the black rubber washer behind the red plastic bit...the red bit is free to turn round pretty freely...but unless you've got to be a bit brutal with it and prise it off i cant see how it can be removed in order to prise the washer off??

unless the circlip thingy has to be removed the other end....then the body bit unscrewed...then get to the washer that way..which to me seems a bit unlikely?

anyway any help would be most appreciated

reevesy

Distinguished Member
oh ...pretty sure the washer is the problem as i wrapped some ptfe tape round it to check..and the dripping stopped

....but soon as you start using the control and turning it...obviously the tape just gets trashed

brunation

I do have a wifi switch on the immersion so I can turn it on remotely provided the solar production is good. But since the immersion is such a high power item, it demands too much power all at once and I end up drawing from the grid.

So is there a way to slow it down? So it heats longer and slower rather than full pelt?
A crude solution and I think you'ld want a normally closed switch too (since you have a wifi switch).

Ideally, you have a device that can sense excess supply and use that for PWM to provide current to the heating element.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
A crude solution and I think you'ld want a normally closed switch too (since you have a wifi switch).

Ideally, you have a device that can sense excess supply and use that for PWM to provide current to the heating element.
Thanks, I've since coughed up the case for a proper water diverter. Still not a financially sound decision as the payback time is too long, but you can't put a price on the pain of watching excess power go to the grid...

ufo550

Here's an odd question, and maybe this a question for the sparks not the plumbers.

Is there a way to limit the power to the immersion? I just got solar panels installed and I'm often generating more than I can use.

I could of course fit a hot water diverter, but they're fairly expensive and the payback time is way too long.

We don't currently have a feed in tariff for excess power so anything I don't find a home for is lost.
Your not Dave Edwards from Scotland :)