If anyone wants advice on gas/central heating/boilers. feel free to ask

Thanks, I hoped the heating might eliminate various issues.

This is what we have in the airing cupboard, the green one is above the Drayton. View attachment 959453View attachment 959454
So by the looks of it you have a s-plan so there will be 2 of those white Drayton boxes. One doing the heating and one doing the hot water. Can you see the white Drayton box that will be attached to the pipe work going into the hw tank?

Is this it?
20171231_172214.jpg

The Drayton has 3 pipes going in the back, ill see if there is another box I've missed

We have this about 20 cm above the Drayton.

Right now the heating is on and there is a light noise in the airing cupboard of water moving about the pipes.
1514741540921.jpg

The Drayton has 3 pipes going in the back, ill see if there is another box I've missed
Justgoogled it, a Drayton za5 is a 2-port zone valve so you must have two za5’s in your airing cupboard

There is a regulator aswell
20171231_173457.jpg

Following the arrow it goes above and across the tank then into the ground

I've searched high and low and can't see another Drayton. Not sure if it's relevant but I think we only ever got hot water if the heating was on at the same time.

I've searched high and low and can't see another Drayton. Not sure if it's relevant but I think we only ever got hot water if the heating was on at the same time.
It’s hard to say exactly but from what I’ve seen you should be able to run independent heating and hot water. You should have a hot water zone valve somewhere which will fire the pump and boiler during hw demand. You would want to check that is opening when having hw issues. It’s a good place to start anyway

Nice one thanks for taking the time to look it over

Happy New Year

@Fergal82

Just had a quick question about the balancing again, I think I've done it now which is a massive relief but I wanted to ask about the rad we have in our passage that's connected to the thermostat. Do I balance that the same way as the others or does that need doing a different way? Also it seems like the rads that are closets to the boiler heat up first regardless of whether they're upstairs or downstairs, so I may have the rad located directly above the boiler on the first floor and then the one in the room adjacent to the boiler heating up first and then the two furthest which are the upstairs bedroom and downstairs sitting room heating up last does that make sense to you?

I was under the impression that the upstairs rads would heat up first then the downstairs ones in some logical order but it doesn't seem to be that way with my heating system, just wanted to see whether this was something you had come across?

Thanks again and Happy New Year :)

@Fergal82

Just had a quick question about the balancing again, I think I've done it now which is a massive relief but I wanted to ask about the rad we have in our passage that's connected to the thermostat. Do I balance that the same way as the others or does that need doing a different way? Also it seems like the rads that are closets to the boiler heat up first regardless of whether they're upstairs or downstairs, so I may have the rad located directly above the boiler on the first floor and then the one in the room adjacent to the boiler heating up first and then the two furthest which are the upstairs bedroom and downstairs sitting room heating up last does that make sense to you?

I was under the impression that the upstairs rads would heat up first then the downstairs ones in some logical order but it doesn't seem to be that way with my heating system, just wanted to see whether this was something you had come across?

The thing with heating systems are they’re hardly ever logical. Obviously there’s a textbook way it should work but that’s not always the case in the real world. Some rads will heat quicker than others and it’s nothing to worry about in my eyes. As long as all the rads heat up within an acceptable time frame then you’re on the right path I reckon.

The rad in the passage can be balanced the same as the rest but that’s one you want on par with the rest of the system as it’ll be essentially regulating the roomstat.

@Fergal82

Thanks mate much appreciated. When you say I need the one in the passage on par with the rest of the system can you explain exactly what you mean please? Is it that I need that rad to heat up the same as the others as in if it heats up too quickly the other rads won't reach temp properly so it need to heat up the same as the others?

Thanks again

Thanks mate much appreciated. When you say I need the one in the passage on par with the rest of the system can you explain exactly what you mean please? Is it that I need that rad to heat up the same as the others as in if it heats up too quickly the other rads won't reach temp properly so it need to heat up the same as the others?

Thanks again
Yep exactly

Hi All,

Can you kind folks provide some advice? I’m going to bleed all the rads, and I’ve read I may have to re pressurise the boiler. I’ve checked the pressure and I think it’s a bit low (under 1). The boiler is a Worcester heatslave 20/25.

Can you let me know what I need to do to re-pressurise (think it’s something to do with silver braided cable)?

Thanks in advance.

2AF53FFE-2D1B-438E-B684-6D432D6A29EC.jpeg
22DBAD65-1828-4761-BE2C-41DD124E5508.jpeg
4A6A0221-2B0B-4877-BBFF-BD480664139D.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All,

Can you kind folks provide some advice? I’m going to bleed all the rads, and I’ve read I may have to re pressurise the boiler. I’ve checked the pressure and I think it’s a bit low (under 1). The boiler is a Worcester heatslave 20/25.

Can you let me know what I need to do to re-pressurise (think it’s something to do with silver braided cable)?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 959935 View attachment 959936 View attachment 959937

That silver braided cable is your filling loop and yes you're right you re pressurise through that. It looks like you open both black valves to let the water through, keep an eye on the gauge, when its to the required pressure just close the valves, one word of warning though, the pressure does tend to go up fairly rapidly so be quick to close the vales.

cheers

Saf

Moved into our new place last may, has an unvented system which we have never had before. Do they naturally lose a bit of pressure over time or do I have a small leak somewhere?

Dropped this much in about 3 months.

IMG_9290.jpg

That silver braided cable is your filling loop and yes you're right you re pressurise through that. It looks like you open both black valves to let the water through, keep an eye on the gauge, when its to the required pressure just close the valves, one word of warning though, the pressure does tend to go up fairly rapidly so be quick to close the vales.

cheers

Saf

@safcalibur thanks for confirming.

I opened both valves and have repressurised.

When I opened the valve to let the water through, it was pouring out of the side of the thread (had to cover with towel to re-pressurise). To fix this, is it just a case of turning the water off and refitting the braided cable (possibly using ptfe?)to ensure there is a good fit and no leaks?

When I opened the valve to let the water through, it was pouring out of the side of the thread (had to cover with towel to re-pressurise). To fix this, is it just a case of turning the water off and refitting the braided cable (possibly using ptfe?)to ensure there is a good fit and no leaks?

sorry bud i'm no expert on this but from what I know using ptfe tape should be ok. Again, from what I know the braided cable (filling loop) shouldnt be connected all the time anyway, you should have little end caps that screw onto the pipes when you take the filling loop off, pretty sure I can see one in you photo, its hanging down past the black valve. Not sure what harm there is if you leave it on, if none them I assume using ptfe tape should be fine. I;m sure one of the experts here can confirm, I'll tag a couple in to alert them

@Fergal82 @liamthefirst @Cocksure :)

sorry bud i'm no expert on this but from what I know using ptfe tape should be ok. Again, from what I know the braided cable (filling loop) shouldnt be connected all the time anyway, you should have little end caps that screw onto the pipes when you take the filling loop off, pretty sure I can see one in you photo, its hanging down past the black valve. Not sure what harm there is if you leave it on, if none them I assume using ptfe tape should be fine. I;m sure one of the experts here can confirm, I'll tag a couple in to alert them

@Fergal82 @liamthefirst @Cocksure :)
Spot on advice. Yes just turn both valves off and you can remove the Loop. Might just be loose if not bit of ptfe is quick and easy

The part about disconnecting the loop keeps changing. It was for years ok to leave connected then they said it has to be disconnected and now its fine to leave connected again.

Liam

Thanks all for great advice (as usual).

Really appreciated.

If it was the flexi side of the pipework then you just need to hand tighten the connection as it has a rubber seal in them (pretty normal for the connection to come loose). If it's the copper side then you will need to undo the nut, remove the fitting and wrap PTFE around the olive so as you get a seal when pushed up to the fitting.

Hi, I'm wondering if any of you fine helpful people can help. We have an ideal c30 combo and it drops pressure on central heating loop slowly (over weeks rather than days) which stops it firing up.

When I was topping it up earlier, I noticed a drip from the base of the boiler. It is coming from a the small blank piece next to the condensate drain (see picture, which if you look closely you can see a drip forming), which I think is part of the condensate trap/syphon. If this is leaking could it cause the central heating loop pressure to drop? Or could it be from a leak within the boiler (e.g. heat exchanger or expansion vessel) which is finding its way to the said blank piece.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

20180102_164931.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom