If a TV series is cancelled after season 1, will you watch it?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 26, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, I'll give it a go

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Yes but only if the storyline is resolved at the end

25 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. No, I won't bother

27 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,807
    If a TV series is axed after the first season, will start watching it?

2. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,285
    Yes I will give it a go if I have heard good things about it.
    Quite a few series I have watched that have only been 1 series and they have been great.

Awake
    Persons Unknown
    Chicago Code
    Last Resort
    Daybreak
    The Gates
    Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
    Rubicon
    Firefly
    My Own Worst Enemy
    No Ordinary Family

Just a sample of some I can remember watching knowing it was cancelled but still really enjoyed them.

3. ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Voted no, but I have watched a few of those in Tones list. However, at the time, I didn't know they would be decommissioned.

• Persons Unknown (This was pony, I didn't finish watching it coz I read it was dead).
    • Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip (Great show would recommend it)
    • No Ordinary Family (Enjoyable)
    • Firefly (Over rated)
    • Chicago Code (Really enjoyed it)

Some others such as Awake I had to watch but didn't bother, just erased them.

4. GloopyJon

GloopyJon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    I voted Yes, as I've done it on occasion. The obvious example was Firefly, which was actually cancelled half way through the first season and which managed some great episodes once it got into its stride. It's rare, though. Others that spring to mind are more often 1.5 or 2 seasons, such as Tru Calling (1.5 seasons), Dark Angel (2 seasons but I've only watched the first), Dollhouse (2 seasons) or Pushing Daisies (2 seasons, got rather boring towards the end).

5. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,272
    Yes, as long as it not left hanging.

Too many shows are made without proper structure (the basic start-middle-end) and bank on a second season, leaving with a cliff hanger ending.

It would help if the networks didn't announced that a show had a second season by the time the credits roll from a shows first episode. The other problem is that people judge a show, especially US shows, on their ability to get a second season. Its backwards.

6. Jakks

Jakks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'd more likely watch it if I knew it had a proper ending rather then a cliffhanger

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,524
    Definite no for me. Which is a shame, but if I know the series has been cancelled I won't even start watching it, if it's cancelled during me watching it then I will just stop watching it. Can't be bothered to invest time with a show that is going nowhere!

8. Wildkarrde

Wildkarrde
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,508
    A no for me. I'm with Greg, why waste time watching a series that has been axed??!

9. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If you didn't watch the six episodes of 'Smith' because of this, then you've missed out on some fine TV. Or Heist. That was a good few episodes too.

I've not watched Oz, The Shield or The Wire for the opposite reasons. I know exactly how many episodes I have to devote some serious watching time to.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    On occasion I have watched a series that I knew had been cancelled due to good recommendations (e.g. Firefly, Profit) or was part of a larger story (e.g. Caprica). However, on the vast majority of occasions, I won't start watching something that was 'cut off' ahead of time. Been bitten far too many times by watching a new series that had legs to go much further only to be abruptly ended or cancelled on a cliff-hanger. Life is too short and there are too many other great (and complete) stories out there to worry about could have beens.

11. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,711
    no, i found out after watching the first 5 episodes of alcatraz that it had been canned so i deleted the rest.

unless a series is done to it's completion i don't see the point.

12. KungFuPro

KungFuPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    If it's a good series like Firefly then definitely, I'm glad they made it into a film to bring it to a conclusion, but even if they hadn't I enjoyed watching the series anyway.

I bought Carnivale seasons 1 & 2 after knowing it had been cancelled, great show, the story was never resolved but I still like watching what episodes they did make.

I think some TV shows outstay their welcome; Scrubs, Lost, Heroes, House, CSI's... I stopped watching all of those after a few seasons. Boardwalk Empire is another, started off well but got a bit tiresome near the end of the last season.

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I will if I like the idea behind the show.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Not if there is a cliffhanger now. I am still annoyed the way the Lone Gunmen ended and the Jump the Shark X Files episode is certainly no way to end it. A couple of days, I finished Alphas S2 and now annoyed with that.

The reason I felt Firefly was cancelled was because Fox showed the episodes out of order and started the series with episode 2 to have an episode with action in it. No one could follow it properly until the DVD was out. It was later put against American Football at some late time too towards the end.

I did enjoy American Gothic and Space Above and Beyond.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. DrapedInDarkness

DrapedInDarkness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,762
    Huge portions of my collection are one season wonders, I always like to watch them and then get maudlin and depressed when they turn out to be good ;)

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    I voted yes, if the stories good Ill enjoy it for the ride but if average that I would normally watch if it was resolved at the end and I knew it wasn't I would not bother.
    I started watching The Event which after the first few episodes went down hill and when it came back after the mid season break I gave it an other go and found the pace had really picked up and was sad to see it end on a cliffhanger. I enjoyed the second half so much I picked the series up on Blu albeit at a bargain price.
    I must say I really hate series that end with unresolved issues, and think the producers are scared their product needs people to come back to see how its resolved as they don't have confidence in it.

17. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,972
    I watch series with only one season but always feel cheated at the end.

It's disappointing when a show isn't picked up for a second series and is left without an ending.

Flash forward, V, Alcatraz and Last Resort are all ones I enjoyed but were not continued.

Last Resort I've not got around to watching the last 4 episodes and I think it's because I know there's no second season.

Some shows can go on for too long, Prison Break is an example of this as the final few seasons dragged and were disappointing. I would prefer a decent ending if there's only one season but more often than not we are left hanging :(.

I'm currently watching The Following and although they've said it's only one season ill continue to watch hoping they'll end it properly.

18. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    There should be a rule that there is never a cliffhanger/unresolved storylines for the first season or if the series is in risk of cancellation. If someone is a fan, they don't need a cliffhanger to come back. Anyone who hates a series won't come back.

19. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    I usually watch them all to the unsatisfying conclusion, then find out is been cancelled

20. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    I put yes as I've done it with a few series (firefly, tales of the gold monkey, brisco county jr, etc) and even watched a few that got canned while midway through a season (alcatraz for example).

It depends on the series if it draws me in with a couple of episodes, if it doesn't sell it to me at the start then I wouldn't bother. Walking dead for example actually started to annoy me after the first couple of episodes so never watched it after 2nd or 3rd one.

21. Riyazi

Riyazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I said Yes. As already mentioned Firefly and Awake are 2 good examples of excellent shows being axed. Also The Newsroom and Unforgettable, both were going to be cancelled when I was watching them but have since been picked up for a 2nd season.

22. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,094
    I voted yes, but with limitations.

A few like Flash Forward and The Event, IMO, were worth watching for being decent enough story lines. Even though they ended on annoying cliffhangers, I enjoyed them.

Others like Alcatraz and Last Resort which were cancelled mid season, I stopped watching as I thought they were not very good anyway and couldn't care less. Some I will even go back to at some point, like Awake.

23. blaster9999

blaster9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would watch the last four of the Last resort, since they knew around episode 6 they would only have 13 episodes they do try to wrap the main plot lines

24. blaster9999

blaster9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    As watching single season shows, well depends, yes cancellation can leave a sour taste and be frustrating ( I looking at you Fox :nono: ), If i refused I would of missed some great TV. But it can be knowing a shows been cancelled can be disincentive.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  25. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,272
    The way UK shows are made have got it right. All shows are created as one season shows, so the story is wrapped up properly. If it's sucessful, it may return. Simple!

The opposite also applies to one season show, i rarley watch long standing multiple season shows, where the general feeling is that it doesn't end well or has a poor ending. All that effort for little satisifaction at the end. (Now i know how the wife feels...:rolleyes:)

26. dazzer68

dazzer68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Got stung watching the remake of 'v' . Very disappointed and felt a bit cheated, when i found out there wasnt a series two.also agree the opposite might happen, i read some where 'the following' has been commisioned for the next seven (years?) seasons!

27. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,272
    You mean Season 3, as there was 2 seasons? If you've missed it, there's 10 episodes to view! :smashin:

28. Stevilinho

Stevilinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I download all my us shows to avoid disapointment, download if it gets canned aftet 1 season, click goes the delete button

Im not willing to watch a show if theres no conclusion there just seems no point in it

Its sad that the networks only rely on the nielson ratings(i believe thats what its called) to determine if a show is successful, theres itunes revenue, ps3 i think(dont own 1 do not sure if the tv shows), xbox live, dvds and blurays and possibly even more im not sure of, also torrents but they cant make money from them lol

29. vader100

vader100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    If it has been given good reviews and concluded properly I will start watching it. Others like The Sarah Conner Chronicles, ran for 2 seasons, so-so reviews and I don't know how it was concluded, I'm not going to bother.

As Caprica was concluded, I believe, I'd like to watch the second season but it's only available in France.:rolleyes:

30. Geege

Geege

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430