1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IF 5700 and Sky decoder - help please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJnewbie, Apr 5, 2004.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an InFocus SP 5700 which I want to connect to a Grundig Sky decoder.

Looking at the PJ, it appears I can only connect with S-Video or composite, but I also have a Component D5 socket, which the manual says supports RGG SCART with an adaptor.

In the box there is also a very small cable with a SCART plug at one end - is this said adaptor?

Basically, is S-Video by best bet, or can I use RGB SCART and if so, how exactly? And is it just a standard S-Video lead I need if I go down that route?

One more question: for audio, I presume I need simple twin phono leads to run from my decoder to my Denon 2802 amp? Then presumably I can switch the amp to Pro Logic?

Thanks all.

2. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just use a RGB to Component adaptor for JS Technologies for example?

Do all Sky digiboxes output RGB SCART as opposed to non RGB SCART?

Cheers all.

3. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its probably likely that you have RCA scart as opposed to RGB scart.

You could probably check this information by searching for the model of your decoder on the web.

If its RCA scart you will be limited on the quality of the picture.
    You won't be able to upgrade the picture as such as the RCA analogue signal is a basic signal that has been stripped of various parts of the signal. You could probably get a scart adaptor and use S-Video although there won't be a noticeable difference if its an RCA signal.

If you're decoder is RGB enabled you can use a scart to component conector which will give a superior picture, these leads are fairly easy to come by. (It sounds as if you have this 'scart feeding 3 leads red green blue')

You right with regards to sound. If you have a toslink this could also be an option.

With regards to prologic not all sky channels support this!

4. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.

So if my decoder is RCA Scart only, would spending £145 on a Scart to Component converter be a waste of money?

Cheers.

5. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same projector and amp as me!

Dont bother with the component converter unless you want to route your video signals through your amp. You can use a scart cable with the adapter to connect to the D5 socket. Mine's connected this way and the picture looks much better than s-video.

For sound I just use the output from Sky into the amp. Then use the amp in prologic II mode.

6. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    venkman,

Is that the little lead included in the 5700 box, with short SCART on one end jobbie?

Cheers!

7. markwww673

markwww673

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Yep that be the cable to use.

Marcus

8. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Does this lead give a comparable picture to one of the £145 converters then?

Thanks.

9. JAK

JAK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I often wondered what these converters did that a cable does not do.
    Keene Electronics do an RGB Scart to S-Video converter (KNE-RGB2S) which they say is ideal for making high resolution connections from Sky Digital to Amps/S-VHS recorders/Plasma screens etc
    Anyone know what benefit this actually offers over a cable?

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a cable cant convert RGBs to S-Video. A Converter can!

11. JAK

JAK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apologies for asking what may be obvious to you, but what does a SCART to S-Video cable do

12. venkman

venkman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to confirm, yes it is the short lead. Just plug it into the D5 connector, plug a scart into the adapter and plug the other end of the scart into the sky box. Make sure you use the RGB capable output on the sky box and also make sure it is set to output RGB in the setup menu.

In theory the picture will be better than a converter as the signal hasn't been through an additional stage of processing, which depending on the quality of the converter may degrade the signal slightly. The converter just changes the signal to a different format - it can't add extra detail.

Jak, a scart to s-video cable would be used for transmitting s-video - it does not do any conversion. E.g. Some TV's accept s-video input on one of their scart inputs.