1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

If 100Hz tv's are flawed why not stick with 50hz ? (28inch)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gvh, May 16, 2002.

1. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    first post. After a lot of reading round here and the inevitable trips to the shops I want to finish my home cinema with a 28 inch tv. I don't want to spend thousands so my choice is looking like the Sony KV28LS35.

The reason being that there are so many unsatisfied people out there with 100hz ones and that the set will be no bigger vertically than my 21 inch sony which still looks amazing after 6 years.
    Oh, and it looks good.

I am willing to spend more if the benefits are there. EG sony LS60 or something else, doesn't have to be sony. Not sure I want an FQ75 funnily enough.

cheers

Gareth Hughes

2. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is a matter of personal opinion, as it is with most things we purchase nowadays (look at cars - who would really be a Fiat Multipla!!!).

I have decided to go 50Hz because I think a decent TV will hardly show any flicker at all anyway. As someone has already posted before, it will probably be best to wait awhile until technology has improved until you start spending a ****load of cash on a tv that isn't either rear projection or plasma. Even with those I would wait.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try having a look at the Sony LS60s.

They're 100Hz but they don't have all the extra digital processing that you get with typical 100Hz TVs. You therefore would be hard pushed to notice that the LS60 is a 100Hz TV - I certainly didn't notice! The only problem was fast scrolling horizontal text which was blurred. Everything else looked great IMO.

Am close to purchasing the 28" model myself :D and this comes from someone who used to be very much against 100Hz sets. Having seen the LS60 in action though, I definitely wouldn't want a 50Hz now!! The picture was so clear and bright as well - particularly off RGB!!!! And I didn't notice any scrolling bars either BTW!

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on my second 100hz set and i wouldn't be a 50hz set again. No more flicker or whining and i don't get headaches when watching tv any more.

Some of the processing faults could be seen on my first 100hz set but not on my current one. 100hz technology has moved on quite a lot over the last couple of years. Some base their comments on out of date television sets. Some prefer 50hz as much as i prefer 100hz. Some don't set their televisions up correctly and make 100hz appear worse than it actually is. Some blame 100hz for compression artefacts when it is the digital tv source that should be blamed and not the tv.

5. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds familiar.

MY dad in UK has a 28" SONY widescreen analog and it's definitely sharper than my 32" Philips digital

Look at the pop up blue Nav bar (the white lettering) on Sky digital or the corners of the BBC news 24 logo. It's sharp and square. On my Philips it's rounded and fuzzy.

The only thing - is that you'll still get all the jagged edges around moving objects due to the interlacing / line structure.
    Watch the edge of the shoulder of the news readers on News 24 or Woody's hat rim in Toy Story (or the roof rails of the car as it pulls out of the drive in Toy Story 2)
    with a pure Progressive Scan signal & no digital processing, all of that is gone... but if you've read my Loewe posts recently even that's not without a problem or two (and not a cheap option).

I also noticed more of an improvement from the QED SCART I bought, on my dad's SONY TV than on my Philips.
    (It removed the ghosting from down the right side of all edges)

Good luck

I'm starting to look at CRT projectors now..

Steve

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    No problems with my 100Hz Tosh 40WF08b.

Like DD, I could NEVER go back to 50Hz. Some models are just UNBEARABLE to watch, like my bro's 28" WS JVC TV...Innstant headache!

7. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    fair enough then.
    100Hz is worth it :)
    I am persuaded to go a bit further and get an LS60, the greater number of scarts is a big factor but I have a feeling this tv will be with me for quite some time so I'm willing to spend a bit more. This has been the way I've built the sound system so I can justify it to my wife !

I think I'll go John Lewis as its close by and the price of anyone internet-based comes to the same by the time you buy a 5 year warranty.

cheers
    ga