IEM's in day to day use? How do people find them?

toiletduckuk

Standard Member
Hi all -

I really fancy some Shure E530's - the big concern I have is that I find my CX-300's irritating for slipping out if I'm on the move or even over time, with any of the earbud sizes (and I'm reasonably used to wearing earplugs so I don't think it's user error). I know an accurate earbud is half the battle - but how do the IEM/canalphones compare to earbud type in ear phones?

Other thing is, day to day use is a bit of a pain, as the buds get dirty in pockets, waxy from insertion/removal to talk to people, etc. Has anyone got a reasonably hassle free solution?

Bit stuck really, I'd like some high quality headphones but for half of my general use (walking to work, round town) they're a bit of a pain. The other half (travel) is reasonably suitable for full sized over the ears cans but not as portable...

B3anstar

A bit hard to answer as it depends on the individual. All i can give you is my experiences.

I have the Shure se530's and where them almost day. I have never had them slipping either round the office or the 45 min walk home (don't do it often). They are pretty comfortable but i am looking at custom moulds as after a couple of hours i think i get a bit fatigued.

I don't put them in my pockets, always in the provided case, they do get a little waxy from time to time but they're easy to clean, and insertion becomes pretty quick after practice (say 8 seconds an ear).

Hope this helps.

Drubbing

Novice Member
Strictly speaking, the CX300 and the shures are both canals - ear buds sit next to the ear, without going into the canal; think free apple buds.

But some canals fit better than others. I hated the CX300, they always fell out on me too, and they sounded crap to boot.

I've now got some different ones (they're not sold in the UK, before you ask), but the tips are exactly the same size and material as the C300, but they fit (and sound) way better. :confused: I think probably because the driver they sit on is a tad bigger.

That's the deal with canals; no one will let you try them out, so it's a suck it and see...

Steven

Senior Moderator
I prefer my AT ESW9 these days, but I can tell you I am fine with using my Westone UM2 but will find the Shure Olive tips starting to irritate around the 6 hour mark. That's enough listening by then anyway :p

That's the thing as you cannot test unless you know someone because some people do not get on with their tips inside their ears. The closest analogy you will get is ear plugs for sleeping or swimming, but even then tips are made from different materials and come in different sizes, so...

[email protected]

Novice Member
Hi all -

I really fancy some Shure E530's - the big concern I have is that I find my CX-300's irritating for slipping out if I'm on the move or even over time, with any of the earbud sizes (and I'm reasonably used to wearing earplugs so I don't think it's user error). I know an accurate earbud is half the battle - but how do the IEM/canalphones compare to earbud type in ear phones?

Other thing is, day to day use is a bit of a pain, as the buds get dirty in pockets, waxy from insertion/removal to talk to people, etc. Has anyone got a reasonably hassle free solution?

Bit stuck really, I'd like some high quality headphones but for half of my general use (walking to work, round town) they're a bit of a pain. The other half (travel) is reasonably suitable for full sized over the ears cans but not as portable...
I'd suggest sticking with the CX-300s for a while and try some alternative tips, bi-flange, triple flange or foams (tho' foams will make them sound pretty hoorid imo).

At least you'll get an idea of what kind of fit and isolation you'll get for every day use.

Bear in mind, as you purchase higher quality earphones, the difference in sound quality can be quite subtle, but often the price hike is brutal.

In noisy, busy environments, I find I can't fully appreciate the difference between my cheap earphones and 'high end' ones.

There are times when comfort and practicality rule.

toiletduckuk

Standard Member
There are times when comfort and practicality rule.

This kinds of sums up what I'm looking for along alongside sounding good... I really like the idea of custom sleeves, but it feels like at £100~ for the sleeves, it's stupid not to buy at least a reasonably high end IEM. I like the idea of customs as I get the impression they're reasonably easy to insert/remove, and "dissapear" being worn.

However, trying different tips on my CX300s would be a good place to start - I had a search around and could only find Comply T400 tips to buy. Foam tips that need to expand sound like a bit of a pain to insert/remove to talk to people etc (or play poker in - a lot of my use is blocking table noise). Any recommendations on easy in/out tips and where to buy them? Anything must be better than the default Sennheiser option as that seems to slowly work it's way out of my ear whatever I do.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom