• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IE8 possibly hijacked, MS instructions don't work?

shalimar

Standard Member
Dear all.
I have Win XPsp3 using IE8 and also Google.co.uk as my browser or home page?; In Internet options I get "Google.co.uk "which works.
Instead of Internet Explorer 8 as default,I have in dropdown as my default.
Http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=9634754 .
I used to be able to swop from one to other by going from current to default. But I'am no expert and I begin to start to think I don't what I used to do.
I went to MS and followed these instructions
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.
Click IEXPLORE.EXE, and then click the End Process button.
This closes all instances of Internet Explorer. Then you can re-open the program to continue browsing as usual. To help prevent future attacks, you should also have a pop-up blocker turned on.
To turn on the pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer 8 click the Tools button (the gear icon), point to Pop-up Blocker, and then click Turn On Pop-Up Blocker.
When I tried to do this exactly; no iexplore.exe. tried again when the google browser open and there is iexplore.exe 36,876k mem use
But also another iexplore.exe saying 16,328k mem use. ie 2 iexplore.exe.
I do not understand
could someone explain simply
1] why didn't MS's instructions work?
2] why do 2 iexplore .exe appear when its open.?
Any simple info would be apprciated
regards shalimar

shalimar

Standard Member
thanks for the help. appreciated I did try.
But then I took back to shop that built the PC and had more Ram and a clean install.

Regards Shalimar

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom