1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDTV's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by paulfoley, Jun 15, 2005.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    We all know that connection type can determine picture quality e.g. RF is worse than composite which is worse than SVHS which is worse than RGB, etc, etc.

Does anybody know which method an integrated freeview box inside an LCD TV will use ? For info I am awaiting delivery of a Samsung LE32R41D.

Cheers Guys !

:smashin:

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Would it not be all all digital as its not going external ? As the freeview decodes to a digital signal, the LCD panel is digital and unlikely they waste money getting to any form of analog signal as the componets add cost to the price of the TV.

So even better than RGB... just my 2 cents worth.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i-DTV decoders normally connect via RGB. Nice idea about a digital connection but its normally all analogue.

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    ianh64, so inside the LE32R41D it decodes the digital freeview signal to RGB analog then reconverts to RGB digital for the TFT side of the panel ? On a idtv crt that makes sense as its a analog rgb drive tube but for a idtv TFT seems silly.

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Display panels are normally 1366x768 which is silly too. I guess it keeps prices down reusing bits that have already been designed and tested. The format of d-TV is not the same so it needs to be converted into some form, digital or analogue. I suspect it also means that the output from the internal DTV tuner hits the display chain before so it can take advantage of user adjustable tweaks and other inbuilt processing functions such as Pixel Plus/Wega or whatever the manufacturer has implemented. Quite often, digital inputs have little in the way of user adjustable functions and signal processing and a low quality input such as DTV would suffer if it could not be cleaned up.

-Ian

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    oic...ta