1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDTV's and recording

Discussion in 'TVs' started by guires, Jan 9, 2004.

1. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A silly question?

Am I right in thinking that to record a terrestrial digital channel (from the integrated digital receiver) from an iDTV (Sony 32DX50 is the model I'm thinking of buying) the TV would have to be switched on?

Currently with my Set Top Box I can record a 'freeview channel' on a Scart-connected VCR by selecting the particular channel on the STB and recording from there - having to leave the STB switched on!!

If I buy an iDTV I can also (as I understand it) connect it to a VCR (or DVD-R for that matter) and record a digital channel in the same manner as before - whilst watching an analogue channel if I so wish.

What happens though if I wish to record something overnight or when I'm out? Rather than having to leave just the STB on with the VCR on standby timer as I currently do will I have to leave the TV on also? Even if the TV has a Timer-ON function (which some do I beleive - although I'm not sure if the DX50 is one if them) this seems to be a downside of iDtv's.

Am I missing something or am I being stupid?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't mess - keep the box for the vcr

3. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin

Then what am I gaining by purchasing an IDTV as opposed to a set without a digital receiver? (save maybe a slightly 'better' picture because the signal goes direct to the TV and not via my Freeview box?)

4. Phil_S

Phil_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you are gaining is the ability to watch and record digital TV at the same time.

But I suspect the Sony is the same as my Panasonic iDTV, in which case the TV can be set for timer recording and left in standby. The timer just wakes up the digital tuner (not the whole TV) and sends the signal to a dedicated Scart output, in my case AV2, which is also Q-Link/Smartlink compatible. That means that you don't have to bother about setting a timer on the VCR/DVDR seperately, as the TV will also wake it up and start recording.

The only downside to all this is that sometimes my Panasonic seems to ignore the timer setting - a software glitch I suspect. But I have a Humax PVR which seems to work faultlessly, so I normally use that for timer recording, and watch another channel through the TV if I want to. Occasionally I have also recorded one program via PVR, another from the TV to VCR, and watched a third via analogue, but it's not often that there's that much on of interest all at the same time!

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Record and watch in digital.

I have an IDTV AND a Pace Twin so I digital all the time

6. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Phil.

Can anyone (Martin?) confirm that Sony IDTV's (specifically the DX50) have a similar Timer facility as the Panasonic model Phil described above, i.e. that the integrated digital tuner has a timed standby mode which can be programmed to initiate a recording on a Smartlink compatible recording device via a SCART connection?

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes they do have timers - you leave the TV on standby and the tuner remains powered up.

Clunky but works - if you have a Scart in VCR!!!!

8. guires

guires

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info lads.

Something else to check out in the shops this weekend!