iDTV vs external freeview box

scott666

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having the integrated digital boxes vs external freeview boxes. My postcode doesn't appear to get a signal according to freeview.co.uk although I know people nearby with an external box that can pick up some of the free channels. So can some external boxes boost the signal more than others? Also do some of the iDTVs work better (ie better signal/channel switching/EPG etc) than others from different manufacturers?
Maybe this should be posted in the Freeview/Sky section, so apologies...just thought I might get a better response here :blush:

IDTVs are easier to use generally better quality and easier for wiring

But STB's are better when an upgrade is required.

So, as with most things, you pay your money...

From my own experience - I live in an official fringe area for Freeview reception. We've had an original Philips OnDigital box for some time now and most of the time it was ok - for some of the time it was 'duff' and we reverted to the analogue alternative to watch instead on those occasions. When we recently decided to upgrade to a widescreen tv we decided to keep our 'digital' receiver options 'open' to future development so we opted to buy a conventional analogue tv with a seperate DTT receiver (in fact we bought a digifusion DVR) We find the pictures from the DTT receivers in the DVR to be superb, exceptional quality with no loss of service so it just goes to show how far receiver design has advanced. With our option at least we can justify to ourselves chucking it away if something better comes out (although as I say I think that's unlikely now) whereas if you buy a tv with an integrated DTT tuner then you are not likely to throw away a complete tv just because of improvements in DTT design. Although manufacturers can upgrade the software in their DTT boxes (integrated or not) they cannot change the hardware - you might be tempted to replace a DTT receiver that only cost £50 for something better in the future but would you throw away a £Big tv? something to think about if you're in a fringe reception area. regards, yt.

Just to muddy the water somewhat, I suppose you could buy an IDTV for all the advantages stated above, and then feed it with an STB if a new development comes out.

Bet you're really confused now, Scott!

Took delivery of a Sony KD32DX200 a couple of days ago and the freeview pic is excellent despite the freeview site saying my postcode could not receive a signal.What Red has said is right, but so is TG, because if the built in receiver becomes outdated then there is nothing to stop you plugging in an external one. For the time being I'm chuffed to have another quality source (I have Sky)
without yet another box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom