1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDTV or not?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PeterL, Aug 20, 2003.

1. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still considering what TV to buy to replace our aging 21" 4:3 Ferguson (recently had its 12th birthday).

We already have a "paid for" Sky Digibox so receive digital tv via that, but in terms of buying a new TV should I now be buying an IDTV set in terms of future-proofing rather than a conventional TV with just an analogue tuner?

Of course I know that come the big switch off of the terrestrial transmitters my Sky box would suffice in that respect, but is it better to buy an IDTV set now anyway? I know that with an analogue only set I still have the option to add a separate FreeView box later, but of course this wouldn't be integrated and would be another thing to plug in with more trailing leads.

I have compared a few TV's, but most like the look of the Panasonic TX28DT30 which retails at around £750 on the high street but can be bought online for around £550. It's more than I originally intended spending but this set had a brilliant review in one of this month's AV mags and having seen one today in Comet it is very stylish too.

That said, the £150-200 extra spent on this model may not be worth it in respect of the IDTV it provides as compared to other flat screen analogue-only 28" sets getting good reviews around the £350-400 mark, so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I guess before long all new TV's will be IDTV as all will be 16:9, but for now should I just stick with an analogue only setup in the knowledge that my digibox is effectivelly my FreeView box should I unsubscribe from Sky?

TIA

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I have an IDTV and a Pace Twin

I have seen Sky and a few other devices.

DTTV seems to have a better picture than DSTV, and IDTV appears better than seperate boxes/

I find that a good IDTV is stunning, however read the tests carefully - they get marked down for poor analogue:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: - mine is terrible in analogue.

Also if you drop pay TV you will now also lose ITV, C4 and C5, also you could record DSTV and watch DTTV.

Basically if the difference isn't too much get one!

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Personally as I record a lot of TV while I'm out I'd rather have a separate box. A VCR/DVD recorder/Tivo cannot make use of the digital tuner in a tv when the TV is not turned on.

Also the technology in the DTB boxes seems to be moving on quite quickly both in terms of picture quality (as cheap MPEG decoders improve), speed and functionality e.g. in a couple of years I assume that they will all have in-built hard disks. My second DTB box (a year after my first) had better reception and was much faster.

I would rather replace a sub-£100 box every few years than replace the whole TV.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Please note I recommend a digital tuner for each recording device or display device, not just ONE TUNER.

Hence the suggestion record ITV2 while watching BBC3!

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Pace's Freeview and Sky+ boxes allow you to do this with only one box anyway.

I had a Tivo and now Sky+ so the concept of watching live TV is a strange idea to me. :) How can you watch BBC3/ITV2 without being able to fast forward through the adverts/starting blurb and credits?

I suppose I am used to using my TV (Panny 36PD30) as a monitor only. I now live in an area (Sevenoaks) where I cannot get good analogue or any digital terrestrial. I don't even have an arial plugged into anything.