1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idt

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jammods, Feb 18, 2003.

1. jammods

jammods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please tell me.......What are the merits/drawbacks of buying a digital TV?

Thanks Steve

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same remote works all functions.
    It's all in one box so more likely to fail due to heat build up.
    If the built-in decoder fails, you lose the TV set to the repair shop as well.

Make sure the manufacturer guarantees software updates for the next 5 years. Digital TV is changing and many sets don't yet have features like timer or MHEG text included in the software.

Make sure software updates are "over the air" and automatic.

You may not be able to pipe the digital output round the house as you can with a separate Digital receiver.

You may be able to record *only* the program that you are watching.

My own preference is for separates.

3. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony IDTV and overall i am very happy with the performance, it has all the features and over the air up grades.

However, as Fernsehman says, i am unable to tape digital and watch other things:mad:

I personally bought an IDTV because i was buying a TV anyway and probably wouldnt have bought a separate STB.

So if you are thinking of buying a new TV, they are worth considering. Overall though, i would probably say get a seperate STB, even if it is just so you can record digital without watching.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IDTV generally have a better picture than a seperate box, also when was the last time a PAL tuner conked on you?