1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDS Falcon questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by void, Mar 15, 2002.

1. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to invest in some new toys for my PC. I currently have the following:

MSI 6167 with Athlon 750
    128 mb RAM
    Sonic Fury -> digital out -> Sony DD/DTS amp
    AIW 128 Pro -> Tosh MT3 Projector
    IBM 45 gig HD
    WinXP and PowerDVD

I am considering a Radeon (poss 7200) combined with an IDS Falcon to replace the rather tired AIW. As well as the usual DVD and TV watching, I wish to record programmes to the HD. I will probably use a standard codec like Divx, Mpeg4 MJPeg etc through Showshifter. At some point in the future I will upgrade the M/Board and CPU to an Intel solution.

I have no doubt that the Falcon produces a great svideo image from the many posts here and on AVSForum, but havent seen many using it for PVR type role. Does anyone have any experience of recording using the Falcon card?

Also, can anyone suggest a cost effective and reliable retailer of these cards, they seem to be few and far between?

As usual, any helpful comments on my intended setup would be welcome.

Thanks,
    Gav. ;)

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm not a big fan of PC based PVR solutions, one issue with using a Falcon in such a setup is its lack of sound support (it doesn't have any). I don't know if the likes of showshifter can get around this by using the sound card.

3. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff,
    Yes, you are right about the lack of sound support, which is one of the reasons why I wanted some info from other Falcon users.
    Anyone out there using the Falcon for recording?
    Thanks
    Gav.