IDS Falcon compatible with dscaler?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Cam, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked at the IDS German website and downloaded the product data sheet and manual but it does not mention if the Falcon card uses the BT8X8 chipset. I read in another post that its considered to have the cleanest Svideo input supposedly even better that the Zoltrix modded by KBK (don't fancy the 3 month wait for one of these!). Has anyone used a Falcon card with dscaler?
    If its not compatible would I be better of with something like a Pinnacle PCTV Rage as there doesn't seem to be any problems reported with this card and dscaler.
    This is the last component I have to buy to get my HTPC up and running (crashing? hehe).
    Thanks
    Cam

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I upgraded from a £35 Pinnacle PCTV Rage to an IDS Falcon £200.

Generally a reasonable improvement in reduced noise shown in dScaler, however perhaps a little rolling mains hum occasionally appears which I don't think I noticed with the PCTV Rage. This is on a seven foot picture off a BarcoData 808s.

Was it anything in particular you wanted to improve?

I was hoping to use it with my domestic Sony 725 DVD player to avoid HTPC DVD, but the picture is ever-so slightly softer using Sony725/Falcon/dScaler than directly off TheaterTek.

It's now used with occasional Laserdiscs (Pioneer 925, S-Video) and a Playstation2 (S-Video cable).

Generally, I'd say save you money and give Lindy Dubb's Adaptive noise filter a try (it's a pre release from dScaler 4). That was as big an improvement again as the Falcon over PCTV Rage. Makes Star Wars Laserdisc and Gran Tourismo and Metal Gear Solid 2 look great so far!

If it's for digital terrestrial TV, I did read about Hauppage PCI digital dvb card which would give sdi quality no-analog noise TV into the HTPC for £100 for free-to-air digital terrestrial channels.

In fairness I bet a few people wouldn't notice if I played a film back from the Playstation2/Falson/dScaler/Adaptive noise filter. Hmm, I must try that to see what it looks like.

regards,
    Rob.

3. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob,
    I am just building my first HTPC and the reason I was wanting to use the Falcon was purely because I have read that it had a particularly clean Svideo input.I am wanting the best possible picture from a laserdisc source (Pioneer 925 source) to feed to my newly acquired Barco BG801s projecting on to a 92'' diag 16/9 screen.Games and Sky TV are relegated to the Toshiba 61'' RPTV. I am ordering a PCTV Rage for starters as I am sure that getting my HTPC to run smoothly will take some tweaking and at least they are more of a known quantity when it comes to troubleshooting.
    Again thanks....you have saved me £150 :)