1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Neil69, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    When I first read that Sky where to be broadcasting in widescreen, I e-mailed them to confirm if it was true. They emailed me stating that they have absolutley no plans whatsoever to convert any movie channels, PPV or otherwise, to widescreen, eventhough it was stated on CH999 that they were. Are Sky just plain stupid or is it all just dis-information to get all our hopes up?
    Cheers, Neil.
    :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

2. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in their free mag that was delivered yesterday!

Described diffeence between ws, pan scan etc.....

Can't remember when it said it was starting.

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I said this last week when it was revealed that Sky were doing this that I bet they would still tell you that they are not going widescreen. I guarantee you that the majority of the customers will know about Widescreen before their customer service people.

How can you expect decent service if the people calling are more educated about the product than the people fielding the questions? Their customer service is a sick joke.

4. dave richardson

dave richardson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I find it happens a lot though - particularly in shops.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It happens at call centres all opver the country, in shops, anywhere, where well informed consumers are trying to gain information or advice!
    On a similare note a mate got his ntl bill with £20 worth of extra charges for the "adult" channels, rang up and gave them a right earful, They were all at weird times of day(night) and on on some days he wasn't even there. They agreed to credit the money back to his account :clap: :clap: :clap:
    Then finds out that a mate who visited for a couple of weekends that month and slept in the lounge had been watchin them while in bed!!!!!!
    Now should he ring back and explain the blunder?
    Call the police and report his very embarassed mate for theft of pay TV?
    Not say a word?

6. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    according to their latest mag all the box office channels are going widescreen - from next month i think, and the regular movie channels will start showing more widescreen films from june.
    sky one and sky one mix are to show more widescreen material from june also.

7. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose there's any chance of them dropping the bug/logo/dog.

Thought not

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But steev, how on earth would you know what you were watching without them :rolleyes:

9. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    joboy,

I suppose so, because I always ignore the dirty great pink banner that NTL show me when I switch channels and I can't remember all those pesky channel numbers:confused:

Seriously though, why can't the set-top boxes (or set-under box in our case) show the channel description instead of a puny 3 digit number?

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How are people supposed to remember what channel they switched over to once the OSG disappears though?

And how on earth can people be expected to look at the TV and a box above or below it?

Come on steev, you're just being silly now.

11. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For my sins I write software that controls TV playout systems (not Sky's). It would be very tempting to make it not display the bugs, but I think that it might harm my career.

Last week I was at the London Playout Centre and saw where Channel 5 and other channels get played out. I reckon each suite has about a million squids worth of gear, including a box that just displays the bug. Their VCRs (Sony digi-beta) cost about £20K each and there's several in each suite.

I just feel sorry for those poor people who have to sit and monitor a channel all day. That includes the shopping channels.