Idiots not wearing masks enabling other idiots not to wear masks

Security staff can't do nothing, they have no powers.

I used to manage a pawnbroking shop and had security down nearly every day for something, all they would do is try and talk to the person causing trouble, if it kicks off then police are called.
I'm sure I've seen security staff chase down and frog match shoplifters in to a back room, kept them contained whilst waiting for the police.
Even the presence of someone in a uniform at the door giving verbal advice will act as a deterrent to all but the most determined anti masker.

Even the presence of someone in a uniform at the door giving verbal advice will act as a deterrent to all but the most determined anti masker.

Yeah, I agree, it's the presence factor, not saying shops shouldn't have security staff

But they can't actually do anything more then me or you.

Tempting as it is, I wouldn't confront a mask avoider in a shop. I can understand how a shop worker wouldn't put themselves in that position.
Too risky. There will likely be a heated rant about how they are medically exempt. more often often than not, faked. I'm sceptical at the volume of people with medical issues that prevent mask wearing.
Its surprising how a uniform will illicit reverence even if the security guard has no powers of arrest.
That's what security firms rely on.

That's the thing, even if you do say something, all someone has to reply with is they are medically exempt, cannot be disproven and it doesn't have to be proven by the person, either.

So it's a bit pointless risking it with the issues that could arise, too.

I can fully understand why staff don't confront people, I worked in retails for 15 years and have seen how quickly people can become aggressive. I confronted a shoplifter once and quick as a flash I'd been stabbed. The lad was no older than about 14.

I'm medically exempt from wearing a mask although I do try to wear one if I can. It depends on how my health is at that particular time. I know that me not wearing a mask is an issue for others though and witchhunting non-mask wearers in stores round here is a current popular sport. I've never been questioned on it by store or security staff, but I've had numerous snide comments from other shoppers.
As a result I do whatever I can to avoid going to the shops for my own sake as much as other people's. I do a big monthly online shop to fill the freezer and cupboards then top up the fresh stuff as needed. I get bread and milk delivered and my neighbours often pick stuff up for me if they're going shopping.
If I do have to go to get anything I'll grab stuff for my neighbours too if they need it so they don't have to make their own trip, I'll keep my distance from everyone and I'll run round the store as fast as I can. I wash my hands before I go, put alcohol gel on them at the store entrance and only touch what I'm going to buy. So I do what I can to minimise the risks.
I see too many people though with a holier than thou attitude about mask wearing who then don't follow the other guidelines themselves so they're actually not much better. I do think that masks give people a false sense of security so they don't think about the other measures we need to be taking. Many people also don't really have a clue what two metres looks like, it's actually further than a lot of people realise.

Wow, being stabbed just for not wanting to be robbed.
To everyone who fakes medical exemption, they are undermining genuine people.
Its sad how this happens so often.
There's a lot of broken morality around.
Is there something deficient in the brain development of someone who will carry a knife, rob or break rules at the expense of others?
Is it actually a form of mental disability?
Should it be treated as such?
Or is it just plain old personality disfunction?

Costco have changed their policy so if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons you must use a plastic face shield instead, without one or the other you are not allowed in.

Costco have changed their policy so if you cannot wear a mask for medical reasons you must use a plastic face shield instead, without one or the other you are not allowed in.

They do not enforce it though, I was in the Leeds Costco the other day and there were people walking round with no masks or face shields.

They do not enforce it though, I was in the Leeds Costco the other day and there were people walking round with no masks or face shields.

Was it after the 23rd?

Wunderbar, suppose it is the same as the other shops with staff being at risk of having to engage with said individual and probably suffering verbal abuse with lots of spit from a short distance ... :(

The trouble is, the list of medical exemptions is a long one. We see loads of people on the trains without masks, the staff have been told not to challenge them as it’s not our job but some guards still do. One excuse from a young lady was that her anxiety meant she couldn’t wear a mask that didn’t match her dress, and she’d only got a blue one with her. (Tbh that actually sounds genuine, but it shows the breadth of reasons as to why people don’t wear them).

The trouble is, the list of medical exemptions is a long one. We see loads of people on the trains without masks, the staff have been told not to challenge them as it’s not our job but some guards still do. One excuse from a young lady was that her anxiety meant she couldn’t wear a mask that didn’t match her dress, and she’d only got a blue one with her. (Tbh that actually sounds genuine, but it shows the breadth of reasons as to why people don’t wear them).

See I would believe that one as who actually would make such a pathetic excuse up, when you could just say I have severe asthma for example.

Sound more like fashion co-ordinating accessory matching syndrome than anxiety...;)

But presumably she could get on a train which didn't match her dress, and sit on a seat which didn't match her dress and perhaps use a phone which also didn't match her dress plus sit amongst others who didn't match her dress. She has the option of choosing her clothing to match her anxiety, not expecting the world to fit in with it.

My anxiety would be not to potentially fatally infect someone else with covid (wear a mask), her 'anxiety' appears to be not looking good while doing so....:(

Despair, pity her anxiety doesn't extend to, she might be passing on an lethal virus :( :mad:

Last edited:
Sound more like fashion co-ordinating accessory matching syndrome than anxiety...;)

But presumably she could get on a train which didn't match her dress, and sit on a seat which didn't match her dress and perhaps use a phone which also didn't match her dress plus sit amongst others who didn't match her dress. She has the option of choosing her clothing to match her anxiety, not expecting the world to fit in with it.

My anxiety would be not to potentially fatally infect someone else with covid (wear a mask), her 'anxiety' appears to be not looking good while doing so....:(

We may laugh but if you have ever lived with someone severe anxiety it can be mindboggling what they get worked up about. Took me a long time to stop saying/thinking *** man up that's stupid. Still don't understand it, but I am a bit more open minded rather than the default "that's BS nobody can worry about that".

Edit, just saw this as I was browsing.

I have medium level asthma, was medium to severe when I was younger, and have no trouble wearing a mask. I've spent several periods of my life in hospital on oxygen or nebulisers, the last was 10 years ago now and was a deeply unpleasant experience.

Wearing a mask does not reduce your oxygen level, nor does it causer a build-up of carbon dioxide.

I don't think that even having a genuine respiratory condition like asthma should automatically exempt you from wearing a mask. I think there are some people using light or medium level asthma as an excuse not to wear one. If I can wear one safely then so can they. Though I do appreciate that not everyone's situation is the same.

One excuse from a young lady was that her anxiety meant she couldn’t wear a mask that didn’t match her dress, and she’d only got a blue one with her.
Simples, take the dress off and turn off the heating in the carriage.

(and yes I'm being flippant).

Seriously though, if her anxiety is that bad surely she'd double or triple check she had a matching mask, shoes, handbag and other accessories before even leaving the house?

Seriously though, if her anxiety is that bad surely she'd double or triple check she had a matching mask, shoes, handbag and other accessories before even leaving the house?
Or be like Nicola who finds a tartan mask matches all dresses...:smashin:
Coming soon, a new advertising campaign sponsored by the Scottish Government.
Tartan: the mask material for all occasions and all locations. So light to wear you won't even remember you are wearing it....;)

Last edited:
Or be like Nicola who finds a tartan mask matches all dresses...:smashin:
Coming soon, a new advertising campaign sponsored by the Scottish Government.
Tartan: the mask material for all occasions and all locations. So light to wear you won't even remember you are wearing it....;)

TBF they look good especially as you only get half of Jimmy Kranky. Wonder if they are specially made for her?

If only she remembered to wear the thing :laugh:

A few days ago I was in Tesco and there were five women together. That in it self was bad enough given that we're encouraged to shop on our own where possible. One of them didn't have a mask on and two of them had their mask pulled down and they didn't make even the slightest attempt to socially distance. I went to the checkout and they were immediately behind me. They started putting their intended purchases out just behind me. The woman on the till told them to back off. The looks on their faces said wtf? They eventually backed off but clearly weren't happy. There are way too many people who aren't taking this seriously. A mate of mine has had two work colleagues die of Covid 19 and he is now very ill with it himself.

Bri

A few days ago I was in Tesco and there were five women together. That in it self was bad enough given that we're encouraged to shop on our own where possible. One of them didn't have a mask on and two of them had their mask pulled down and they didn't make even the slightest attempt to socially distance. I went to the checkout and they were immediately behind me. They started putting their intended purchases out just behind me. The woman on the till told them to back off. The looks on their faces said wtf? They eventually backed off but clearly weren't happy. There are way too many people who aren't taking this seriously. A mate of mine has had two work colleagues die of Covid 19 and he is now very ill with it himself.

Bri

Apparently, Covid19 doesn’t even exist and this whole carry on for the last 12 months is just a massive conspiracy (by the whole world it would seem) to control us (and destroy the western economy!).

I was out shopping later than usual last night and Tesco was full of "nosers".

Seriously, it's been nearly a year, you could toilet train a toddler in this time and you're still wearing your mask under your nose or chin thinking it's helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom