Idiots not wearing masks enabling other idiots not to wear masks

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
I was on a long drive yesterday and while my car was charging, I went to the nearest pub, The White Bear for a coffee and the loo.
I was wearing my mask and carrying hand sanitiser.
I was the only person of about 15 in the pub wearing a mask. The man and woman running it there weren't, either.
In fact, the woman said to me that they were ok with people not wearing a mask. I said that I wasn't.
Basically she was letting me know that I didn't have to wear it.
And they didn't take my number for contact tracing. (Or contract tasting as our idiot prime minister puts it).
It's as if in this beautiful, old town, the idiots think that this pandemic isn't going to touch them.

It is not mandatory to wear a mask in pubs and restaurants although they should be asking for contact details

As above.

Which is quite frankly ridiculous tho. You have to wear them in a shop but not in a pub... 🤷‍♂️

How do you drink coffee through a mask?

Anyway this sums up the situation in England:

ED0E16E0-4770-4976-9CDA-32A66C73834A.jpeg

Which is quite frankly ridiculous tho. You have to wear them in a shop but not in a pub... 🤷‍♂️

You can't drink a pint wearing a mask, but you can buy Boots Staydry Mens Pants wearing one... apparently :)

Stating the obvious, but you can walk through a pub, order at the bar, get your order and go to a table away from people and then take the mask off, remembering to desanitise your hands (and your coffee cup handle in my case).

If you were aware prior to entering the pub that customers aren’t required to wear masks, you can hardly be surprised or upset when you make the decision to go into a pub and no-one else is wearing a mask.

Pubs are a no go area for me. On my walks I've gone past a few with outdoor drinking areas. They can get pretty crowded and the staff are serving without any ppe. I dread to think what it's like inside.

Bri

If you were aware prior to entering the pub that customers aren’t required to wear masks, you can hardly be surprised or upset when you make the decision to go into a pub and no-one else is wearing a mask.
Obviously I wasn't, I needed a coffee and was desperate for a comfort break, so I stuck to the rules. Just surprised that there is anywhere that isn't being responsible.

so I stuck to the rules.

So were the people in the pub who weren’t wearing masks (that’s not to say that the rules make sense).

I hardly think it fair to be ignorant of the rules yourself and then moan about other people who (while not taking the same level of precaution) are aware of the rules (if not the risk attached) and are abiding by them.

I'm surprised pubs are open at all. As someone who I'm sure has enjoyed a drink or two in his life, the Prime minister must be aware that alcohol consumption can and often does compromise decision making.

I do not know how it makes any sense to tell people to respect social distancing, wear masks in certain situations, wash their hands frequently and then open pubs so people can get wasted and ignore all that.

P.s. I may be wrong, but I thought pubs had to enforce social distancing as part of their conditions for reopening. The ones I see in London, don't seem to be doing that, in their outside areas at least.

I stuck to the rules
So were the people in the pub who weren’t wearing masks (that’s not to say that the rules make sense).

I hardly think it fair to be ignorant of the rules yourself and then moan about other people who (while not taking the same level of precaution) are aware of the rules (if not the risk attached) and are abiding by them.
Ok rather than say that I stuck to the rules, more accurately, I exercised common sense, life saving precautions.

Obviously I wasn't, I needed a coffee and was desperate for a comfort break, so I stuck to the rules. Just surprised that there is anywhere that isn't being responsible.

There is a local burger chain who are pretty good. All the staff wear visors / masks and you have to sanitise before you go in. My daughter went in the other day (a college friend is off to Texas on a football scholarship, so there was a bit of a get together) and she was really impressed. She said "You should go Dad, you'll feel safe in there".

Now shielding is lifted I popped out with the Mrs yesterday. I'd say mask wearing was 50/50. But the mask wearers seem to think the two metre rule (if possible) doesn't apply now. I stepped back in a supermarket and nearly fell over someone who had tucked in right behind me to get a pack of bread buns. I wished I had one in the chamber!

Mrs wanted a coffee but they were all rammed and none of the staff were wearing masks (which I still don't understand) so I refused to go in anywhere. Hey, if you don't want to protect your customers you deserve to go tits up IMO.

One of the only places I've seen who appear to be doing things right is McDonalds. Everyone is masked up and gloves on. You even get free masks with your nuggets! :) I know there have been cases of flare-ups in McDonalds but they appear to be taking no chances now.

Ok rather than say that I stuck to the rules, more accurately, I exercised common sense, life saving precautions.
I don’t disagree.

But the fact remains that you entered a place of business that does not currently require people to wear masks (while ignorant to the fact that they weren’t required), were dismayed that you were the only one wearing a mask, and, according to your OP proceeded to let them know that you weren’t ok with people not wearing masks.

You’ve then started a thread calling them all idiots when at least they were aware of the current requirements when frequenting pubs.

Have to say that at this point, unless people are strictly observing social distancing, then it’s idiotic not to wear a mask.

Have to say that at this point, unless people are strictly observing social distancing, then it’s idiotic not to wear a mask.
I would say it’s idiotic to be ignorant of the current regulations around pubs not requiring people to wear masks when it’s been covered in the news numerous times and to then moan about it after going into one.

I would say it, but I won’t as I don’t fancy a ban.

Opening pubs during a pandemic and not properly ensuring there is social distancing in place or some other precaution being taken is idiotic. The scenes of people packed outside pubs without distancing at all is frankly disgraceful.

No idea if the masks work or not, it simply an indicator to how sensible some is. For me being outdoors and at least 2m seams the only safe solution. Everything else is a compromise and false sense of safety.

The night life in Coventry was absolutely abysmal from a health and safety and COVID point of view which I witnessed yesterday. I was so surprised and disgusted as in Birmingham City Centre, the places are fairly strict and organised with masks, table service, adequete social distancing of tables, only being able to be in contact with those you've come into; with some common sense concessions given you're drunk.

Sadly I think trying to employ strict social distancing rules, alcohol and the British population is just not something which is possible. There is a cultural issue of compliance with anything related to good weather and alcohol, which seems to supercede other priorities.

I'm personally less concerned with masks and more concerned with cleanliness, social distancing etc.

As nice as masks are for a safety blanket, they have thier own host of problems. e.g. you wear your mask, touch a table or dirty coffee table which hasn't been cleaned and had COVID on it, slip of your mask to take a sip of coffee (now your mask is infected) then you put your mask back on in direct contract with your face and mouth for 20 minutes or so drive home. Masks are a layer of protection to protect people from you and your droplets but most masks, especially the surgical ones, are not good for anything but stopping splashes of fluid (aka blood which is what they were designed for) for getting on your face.

At least with the table, you were only in direct contact with it for a short period of time and its not in contact with any mucous membranes but just your skin (which you can clean with sanitisers or soap).

I was on a long drive yesterday and while my car was charging, I went to the nearest pub, The White Bear for a coffee and the loo.
I was wearing my mask and carrying hand sanitiser.
I was the only person of about 15 in the pub wearing a mask. The man and woman running it there weren't, either.
In fact, the woman said to me that they were ok with people not wearing a mask. I said that I wasn't.
Basically she was letting me know that I didn't have to wear it.
And they didn't take my number for contact tracing. (Or contract tasting as our idiot prime minister puts it).
It's as if in this beautiful, old town, the idiots think that this pandemic isn't going to touch them.

Thats the problem,with a lot of people,they dont think its going to touch them,till it does,and i bet when it does,their the likely to moan the most,and demand why were not warned.

:(

Even after government rules that shoppers must wear masks in supermarkets, there is always the small minority who walk around without one (and will probably say it causes them distress or whatever if questioned). The idea is that if everyone wears them, it will limit the potential spread, so we are helping each other out. Most can’t seem to get that into their head (or too selfish). It’s a conformity/conspiracy issue - “we are not doing it because you say we have to.” “Govt. are controlling us through fear.” Etc. Etc. What I don‘t get is the amount (around various different supermarkets) of staff who don’t wear any PPE whilst on duty? How can you expect shoppers to abide when the staff are not doing it? I’ve not been to a supermarket since the new 08/08 update to the rules to see if that has made any difference.

Just going to say that my local has a great system. Staff have PPE, take details and follow table-service guidelines and there's hand sanitiser all over the place. Customers can wear a mask and some do, but then there's the obvious issue of drinking or eating and I'm of the opinion it's better not to wear one while you're doing that rather than constantly fiddling with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom