Idiots not wearing masks enabling other idiots not to wear masks

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Even after government rules that shoppers must wear masks in supermarkets, there is always the small minority who walk around without one (and will probably say it causes them distress or whatever if questioned). The idea is that if everyone wears them, it will limit the potential spread, so we are helping each other out. Most can’t seem to get that into their head (or too selfish). It’s a conformity/conspiracy issue - “we are not doing it because you say we have to.” “Govt. are controlling us through fear.” Etc. Etc. What I don‘t get is the amount (around various different supermarkets) of staff who don’t wear any PPE whilst on duty? How can you expect shoppers to abide when the staff are not doing it? I’ve not been to a supermarket since the new 08/08 update to the rules to see if that has made any difference.

I'll never understand why shop staff don't have to wear PPE either. Perhaps it is because they would have to wear it for 8 - 10 hours straight. The places that do wear PPE I'll happily shop there. At least they are making an effort to protect their customers.

I went shopping the other day and I kept my mask on for the duration. In shops, in shopping centres and outside on the street. One I have it on and I'm comfortable I'd rather just keep it on.

I popped down my Dad's the other day. Mrs rang me and asked me to pick something up from the shop on the way back. I couldn't because I didn't take my mask (it is a pretty quiet village).

Miss Mandy

I'm seeing masks are just another thing for people to judge others over both in the real world and on social media.
I'm sure the vast majority of the population had no issue popping to the supermarket at the height of the pandemic when nobody needed wear them, but now suddenly those same members of staff they were served by are putting people at risk. Most of these people chose not to wear masks from the onset of this pandemic, yet now it's a requirement they're the best thing since sliced bread.
There also seems to be an increasing number of people deciding that those not wearing them are just selfish idiots rather than people with genuine medical reasons.

Why can't we just ignore what others are or aren't doing and get on with their own lives?

Chocci

Anyways, that’s the newest figures, the case numbers go up.

View attachment 1345987
Quelle surpise! New case count increase has matched the recent increase in testing (7 day average has gone from 138,000 a day to 175,000 per day over the last 10 days

hospital admissions continue to fall so it appears most deaths recently are from people testing positive up to 5 months ago and dying from unrelated illness

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 11.06 AM.JPG

Iain42

You would think from reading here that they were following the regulations in every other country.

I've seen pictures from my BIL's recent holiday in France, no distancing or masks in restaurants.

Italian friend told me that in Rome, in the bars, they have someone on the door who takes your name and address. Inside it is business as normal, no social distancing, unless the authorities come to inspect. At that point, everyone gets the warning from the person manning the door..... :).

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
I'm seeing masks are just another thing for people to judge others over both in the real world and on social media.
I'm sure the vast majority of the population had no issue popping to the supermarket at the height of the pandemic when nobody needed wear them, but now suddenly those same members of staff they were served by are putting people at risk. Most of these people chose not to wear masks from the onset of this pandemic, yet now it's a requirement they're the best thing since sliced bread.
There also seems to be an increasing number of people deciding that those not wearing them are just selfish idiots rather than people with genuine medical reasons.

Why can't we just ignore what others are or aren't doing and get on with their own lives?

Love that zinger at the end of a pretty judgemental post :)

The way I see it is that it was running rampant back then. Now we all should be doing our bit to keep it in check.

Skyfall74

Most of these people chose not to wear masks from the onset of this pandemic, yet now it's a requirement they're the best thing since sliced bread.

At the start, mask wearing wasn't compulsory because the scientists didn't know what they know now.

I'd expect mask wearing to become increasingly compulsory in more environments and with bigger fines for not wearing.

This virus isn't going away any time soon.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I think this is down to people bending government rules that aren’t 100% explicit.

Unfortunately, we need to have the government treat the public as children spelling out everything they need to do.

My feeling is there are some that simply aren’t aware of the rules or don’t understand them but many are just bending them.

Seeing the same with cinemas where the instruction is that you must where masks but can remove them while eating. Many are bending the rules by interpreting them as if I have food or drink on the table, on my lap or in my cupholder I don’t need to where a mask whether I’m actually eating it or not. For example on a certain cinema Facebook there are bright sparks advising people to “take a drink in and make it last the whole film that way you don’t need to wear a mask at all”.

Cheers,

Nigel

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Hopefully this might help the uneducated.

1597048900089.png

aVdub

Distinguished Member
It seems to be a mix of I'm a princes and spend days shovelling this sh*t onto my pig ugly face and will not let a mask hide this man mad beauty - Hey, why are you not wearing a mask... I'VE GOT ASTHMA AND I'M ONLY HOLDING THIS B&H FOR A FRIEND.

Then you have

I only use the mask as a get in the store card.
I wear the mask around my neck just in case.
It hangs from my right ear to allow me to hear coughing at a distance and slip the mask back on.
It hangs under my nose because I want to smell death.

Stores seem powerless to stop whole families doing this in supermarkets and one family we see when visiting an open day recently.

password1

Employers have a legal duty to make sure their staff are safe. Maybe its the cost of ppe, etc.

Sipermarket staff could be in close proximity to hundreds of strangers everyday, If any worker catches the virus they could be spreading and killing their elderly relatives or elders if they live together or to other co workers and shoppers. Totally inconsiderate.

psikey

Distinguished Member
Maybe there's big differences across the country? Everywhere I go (not pubs) 99% are wearing masks with just odd one now and again I assume have medical issue.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
What we need is someone to be charged with endangering life but it'll probably never happen.

You hear of people being charged for deliberately having unprotected sex and keeping hidden that they have HIV. So if you knowingly infect someone then it could be possible. Highly unlikely though.

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
Monday nights Panorama covered the sad case of Belly Mujinga who was coughed and spat on at Victoria Station then subsequently died, despite huge media coverage and investigations they have still struggled to make a case to prosecute someone

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published