idiots guide to Xbox Hi Def (please)

Right I'm going for this as well now :eek:

Could someone please confirm the following

1) What version of Splinter Cell does it have to be?

2) I'm going to have to buy another Xbox for this will it work on a new one?

3) Absolutely no problems with XBL?

Re: last post Kila - Could well be your cable, that's very cheap for component.

:thumbsup:
-Spike- said:
Right I'm going for this as well now :eek:

Could someone please confirm the following.

1) What version of Splinter Cell does it have to be?
Original one, not the re-release

2) I'm going to have to buy another Xbox for this will it work on a new one?
:eek: Is it really worth it with 360 out in a matter of months, have heard somewhere new ones are not soft moddable, that is rumour rather than fact though.

3) Absolutely no problems with XBL?
None at all for me so far.

Re: last post Kila - Could well be your cable, that's very cheap for component
I agree :thumbsup:

Matt

Yeah it is the cable read a review a user posted on Lik Sang about how the cheap components cant cut it and buying the offical high def pack solved the problem. Well find out for sure when it arrives from Lik. So any others users attempting this dont buy cheap cables from game and other stores well least xbox components cus my ps2 one works a treat.

Thanks for the reply Matt :)
Is it really worth it with 360 out in a matter of months

This is what I've been thinking. I'll try and pick one up cheap, try it without the soft mod to begin with and see how it goes.

Have done the soft-mod to my xbox (thanks chic) and all games work OK ... most look better on the plasma *apart* from links which looks very blocky with harsh edges ... only my opinion but looks much smoother at lower/interlaced res

Jon

Had a nightmare trying to get the Action Replay so picked up Game's Xploder thinking this would work, it doesn't as it does not recognise the files :rolleyes:
Will have to order the AR online now.

Does it need to be a particular make of usb stick ... I know the directory layout is important but surely you can replicate this ?

J

I have a modded xbox and a pw7 now if i buy a component board and hi def leads will the £100 be worth the cost.

I have my xbox going through to my vga slot so will the PQ be so much better for the money. ??

Cheers.

Jont, I think it's because the zip files that you use have actual Action Replay codes and files within them. Unfortunately I didn't find this out until after I had purchased the Xploder.
I did try and rename the files but it still didn't work and knowing my luck if it had I probably would have messed the Xbox up.
Going to play it safe and go for the AR.

Is there anyone in Central Scotland willing to do this for me for cash as i'm afraid it's way too complicated for me to even attempt :lease:

Adrenochrome.

Adrenochrome ... you have PM

Jon

-Spike- said:
Had a nightmare trying to get the Action Replay so picked up Game's Xploder thinking this would work, it doesn't as it does not recognise the files :rolleyes:
Will have to order the AR online now.

No No hang on u can do it as I have the Xploder

Matt

I need a bit more info Matt :)

Hi Spike here you go LFC helped me with this post and it works.

Matt

LFCRules said:
Hi, you don't have to buy an action replay. I had the same problem. What you need to do is uninstall the xploder software, and uninstall the hardware drivers. So essentially you are starting from scratch. Then download the Action Replay software free off the net. This will download a new driver with it that can be used to replace the Xploder driver. So when you have the AR software, and everything to do with Xploder removed, plug the Xploder USB back in, and it will ask for your driver location, point it at the AR driver, and away you go. You'll be able to drag and drop the files into the AR software. Its a pain, but it can be done.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks for the quick response mate!
I'll give it a go, think I've found the software and drivers. :)

-Spike- said:
Thanks for the quick response mate!
I'll give it a go, think I've found the software and drivers. :)

Well nobby, have you sorted it mate. :thumbsup:

Matt

Well, thanks to one very helpful member of this forum (cheers John!), I now have my Xbox soft-modded for HiDef and it does indeed look gorgeous on my Panasonic plasma!!

Well nobby
You can't get 'round me that easily :laugh:

Well I think it's sorted. :)
Managed to get the files on the hd which was probably the most difficult part and today the hi-def kit arrived.
Did the rest and enabled everything but I seem to have a problem on one source on my projector.

Component 15Khz = superb picture but only when 480p is disabled :confused:

Component 32Khz = average picture, dark and grainy

Using 15Khz with 480p enabled divides the picture into 2 but this only happens once a game is loaded, the Xbox menu is fine. Doesn't matter what game it is either.
So I disabled 480p and have been using the 15Khz source.
The picture is nothing short of stunning, very very sharp, clear and colourful.

I have tried various settings using 32Khz including 480p on and off but nothing seems to make a difference.

As it stands I'm extremely happy with the results and thanks to all those that have contributed here. It was a little bit of hassle but definitely worth it

anyone that can softmod or chiop my xbox in coventry?

krismc said:
anyone that can softmod or chiop my xbox in coventry?
Have you got the official HiDef AV lead? If so, I'm not far from you (Kenilworth), so I could probably pop over to Coventry (if you'd pay for my petrol) and do the softmod for you.

tobyjuggler said:
Have you got the official HiDef AV lead? If so, I'm not far from you (Kenilworth), so I could probably pop over to Coventry (if you'd pay for my petrol) and do the softmod for you.

hi toby, yeah i already have the componant kit,albeit not the official one, it has optical out svideo out componant out composite out, is currently connected to my plasma via componant, just want to activate the high def
i can come over to u or you can come to me ill give u a quick tenner??

what will i notice with regards to dash etc?
what new options are there? did u notice a big difference?

ps tried pm'ing you but uv exceeded your quota lol

Any ideas if there is a box age on which the mod will work ??

Had Adrenochrome around tonight to mod his 2002 xbox and the Splinter Cell wouldn't take/see the linux save ... but when we put the same 'old' SC disc in my box it does see the save ...

Either that or the mod file on codejunkies is corrupt ...

Any thoughts folks ?

Cheers

Jon

Any ideas if there is a box age on which the mod will work ??
I have read somewhere that it might not work on newer xboxes but the one I did last week was purchased in December 2003, unless it had been sitting in the shop for a year or so....
Maybe try the files that are linked to at the start of this thread?

Sorry Jon, not a great deal of help.

I think there is no definitive answer to this. The only way you’ll know is by trying it. I’m doing mine soon, although mine is from early 2003 (I think!)

Been trying this but getting an error 21 message when I load up the linux file. Bit lost now, anbody any pointers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom