idiots guide to upgrading motherboard and pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jagdeepp, Jan 20, 2008.

1. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Guys, looking to upgrade my pc. I've got a pentium 4 in an icute atx case from maplin. Looking to upgrade all components asap for a pc dedicated to hd video editing.

Have got the Asus p5b delux in mind. Noted that the psu connector required for this mobo is the 24 pin. My current one is a 380w max 20 pin. I guess i'll have to change power supply?

Can anyone refer me to any pages or sites which provide useful pics for an idiots guide to each step? Cant find anything on here. Sure this could assist others in my position too. Anyone taken pics of actual install process?

I'll take pics of my progress throughout and upload.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    It sounds like you are talking about building a new machine from scratch, perhaps harvesting a few parts from the old machine (but not many).

I would probably be inclined to start from scratch and buy a new case, and all the necessary parts. There are plenty of websites that will give you instructions on how to build your own PC, but the hardest part, I think, is choosing and ordering all the correct parts, rather than the assembly itself.

The PC assembly is very straight forward, and is just a case of sticking the components in the slot's or connectors that fit. All components will come with instructions - or instructions can be easily found on the net. If you have ever manually inserted memory or a PCI card into a PC, you already have the necessary skills to build a PC. It really is that simple.