Idiots guide to PS3 reqd ....

bones`

Just a few questions that either were unclear or I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ...:rolleyes:

1. Does upgrading the HDD invalidate the warranty?
2. I want to connect to my TV using HDMi, what options are there for connecting to a stereo amp with phono inputs?
3. Whats the sound quality like as I like to watch music dvd's in stereo and I guess the PS3 would replace my current DVD player?
4. Does the PS3 upscale SD DVD's?
5. Does it really matter which model I buy? Are all new models similar with the exception of HDD size? I was thinking of trying to source a new 40gb as cheap as possible and throwing a large HDD in there...

Thanks for any help.......:smashin:

thedandandandan

Novice Member
I've answerd as best I can...

1. It doesn't Void the warranty, there are instructions on how to do it in the manual.

2. Not sure about this one, I know the ps3 has optical out for audio - if thats helpful.

3. I'd imagine its just as good if not better than most dvd players.

4. Yes, to 1080p.

5. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 80gb and 40gb are identical except for hdd size.

KnightWolf

Novice Member
1. No
2. you can use HDMI and the multi out "same as PS2" for audio
3. sound quality is as good as any CD player
4. yes but only over HDMI
5. i think so

hope that helps.:thumbsup:

y2k

Novice Member
5/ Yes

Wingsurfer

2. I want to connect to my TV using HDMi, what options are there for connecting to a stereo amp with phono inputs?

I got a similar amp - that only has red & white phono inputs. I do it by using a cable that has a normal headphone jack one end with red & whites the other end. Plug this into the headphones socket on my tv & then connect to amp

kendoll

Novice Member
I got a similar amp - that only has red & white phono inputs. I do it by using a cable that has a normal headphone jack one end with red & whites the other end. Plug this into the headphones socket on my tv & then connect to amp

Have you tried using the standard AV cable that comes with the PS3 to connect it directly to your amp for sound only (using only the phono plugs of the AV cable)?

Wingsurfer

Have you tried using the standard AV cable that comes with the PS3 to connect it directly to your amp for sound only (using only the phono plugs of the AV cable)?

:rotfl::rotfl: DOH!! Didn't think about that. TBH though I think i'll stick with my current setup, this way I can have the sound through both my TV & stereo at the same time.

Thanks anyway though Kendoll

cols

Novice Member
2)

Just connect up your tv's audio out to your stereo amp with a phono cable. This way anything on the tv is sent to the amp, and you don't have to reconfigure your ps3's sound settings if switching between amp and tv audio.

Alternatively you could connect the av multi cable to the ps3 and connect the red (right) and white (left) plugs to your stereo amp, and configure your ps3 sound settings to output over av multi. If you want audio from the tv you'll need to go back to ps3 sound settings and reconfigure to output audio over hdmi to the tv. :smashin:

bones`

So lets say I want to watch a DVD via HDMI but with the sound output through my stereo amp via phonos, do I have to configure the PS3 sound every time I want to do this? My current DVD player outputs over both HDMI and phono out at the same time so when I watch a music DVD etc I just have to turn the amp on and turn the TV sound down ?

cols

Novice Member
Ps3 can output audio over hdmi, optical, or av multi - but only one at a time.
That's why, if you have a stereo amp, my recommendation is to connect your tv's audio out to your amp, rather than using the av multi cable.
Less hassle - you don't have to keep changing your ps3's sound settings when switching between amp audio and tv audio. If you want amp audio, just switch your amp on. :smashin:

of course, that'll all change when you get yourself a 5.1ch system - to switch between amp and tv audio you'll have to change the ps3 sound settings, whether it's connected to amp with hdmi or optical.

But it's a small price to pay for proper surround sound! :smashin:

bubs999

For number 5, there can also be a big difference in noise between the two. My brother in law has a 40Gb and its very noisey, where as mine and my friends 80Gb are extremely quiet, to the point I sometimes forget its on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom