Idiots guide required...

John

Reaction score
Hi all (again :D )

I know there is loads of info on xboxscene and other forums/sites , but I cant seem to find an idiots guide on what to do once you have your chip fitted.
You know the sort of thing
1 - fit chip
2 - flash bios onto bank 1 (do I leave bank 2 unflashed)
3 - ??

thats about as far as I've got , boot up with chip enabled , I get the xbox logo with EXECUTOR2 underneath (thats ok , right ?) , then it reverts to the MS dash , so I guess I need to change that ? evoX is it ?

I seem to have aquired loads of files from various sites , but what do I do with them next

any help gratefully recieved
JS

I assume (since you can boot up to the Xbox dash) that you managed to flash the bios all ok - well done :) Always try and leave bank 2 unflashed - that way you can select bank 2 and boot up to the Cromwell Flash Utility to "re-flash" should you ever need to :)

As for dashboards, EvoX and Avalaunch (my preference) tend to be the two most popular alternatives. Have a think about which you'd prefer (plenty of info at xbos-scene), and obtain a copy.

How to install? Briefly:-

1. Configure the network settings in the .xml file so that they match those specified here (*important* - failure to do this correctly will prevent you from being able to access your xbox via FTP - make sure you get it right ;))

2. Next step is to create an iso disc (which your Xbox can hopefully boot - you may need to try a few different media types if you have trouble). See here for details and essential info. Once you're done, pop it into your xbox and (hopefully!) you should boot to your chosen dash.

3. Next step is to use a programme like FlashFXP or CuteFTP to access your xbox - see the network settings thread above for details on how to do this. Once you're in, copy your dash (all relevant files - this will vary depending on what dash you've chosen) across to the C drive of the xbox.

4. Shutdown, and reboot your xbox - voila! :) (Once again, hopefully :p).

The alternative to all the above, is to obtain a copy of Slayers auto installer which will enable you to install a dash directly from CD (i.e. no need to use FTP) - certainly easier for a beginner, but FTP is an essential tool/skill if you want to do much more with your xbox. The choice is yours but I would highly recommend at least trying the FTP option :)

A very brief explanation (my apologies), so if there's anything you're unsure of don't hesitate to report back. Do try and make sure that you're well up to speed on the procedure before you make a start though - there's masses of info around that will help you understand what it is you're doing in more detail, and make matters proceed more smoothly! :)

Good luck,

Kelvin.

Hi Kelvin

Here replies the idiot :clown: :D

I assume I can just connect the Xbox to my pc via simple network cable ? (I have an unused socket) . does the xbox need connection to tv whilst doing it , if so I'm gonna need a longer cable :laugh: they are about 4 meters apart

I configure the network settings in the .xml file that i "find" to match whatever dash it is from the link

iso disc ? will the files for that come with the dashboard ?

I have FlashFXP already ;) so I'll have to have a little play

The cheapo media I have seemed to work the first time hopefully it will work again

ta muchly
JS

Yes, a simple network cable is all (although do note that there are two types of cable - crossover and regular - you need one of the crossover variety) - nothing's ever that simple is it!? :rolleyes:

You shouldn't need to connect a TV for it to work - you may find that you need to leave the lead plugged in at the Xbox end though to stop it auto-detecting the fact that there isn't a TV attached.

Just unplug it from the TV end :)

You're right on the second point - just open the .xml in notepad (or similar) and find the right section for Network settings - copy whatever is relevant in your case from the networking tutorial :) The xml files are pretty smal so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

With regards to creating the iso - you will need to get a utility to do this for you (IIRC there are a couple suggested in the second link I provided above). I've always used Qwix (download from Avalaunch's homepage). Most dashboards consist of 3-5 files - be sure that whatever you've "found" isn't already in iso format.

Hope this is of some help...

K.

any easy way I can tell what one I have , it was supplied to go between my NTL bb modem and pc (i used usb instead)

On second thoughts ,leaving the av cable plugged in isn't really an option (see plasmas out thread :cool: ) and crossover cables are only a few quid on ebay ,I might just buy one :suicide: .
All I have to do now is find the right file in the right place , so bloody many .Think i've reached my limit for today tho and I have not got anything that looks remotely like what I need , this might have to wait until I get back from my hols :(
You been a mod n all , don't suppose you can tell me the name of the file I should be looking for , can you ;)

ta v much
JS

Well , I would guess I've hit the 30 file limit :eek: and still no sign of a .xml file :mad: , they don't make it easy do they .If only they would name a file
"all you need" or "everything is in here" . Gonna have to wait til I'm back from my hols now
atb
JS

If you've downloaded that much i'm surprised you haven't yet found the correct items...

You will more than likely find that any files you download from "the usual places" appear on your HD as compressed files (either .zip or .rar). You will need to extract any downloaded files before the individual directories/file names are visible to you.

Do you have Winzip or Winrar installed on your machine?

K.

Yep , I've got RAR installed :smashin:
I Have an RAR file entitled "EvolutionX Build 3935" ( feel free to edit it out if you have to )
In which I have an xbe file and an ini file . Can't seem to find any reference to a xml file , also have a few MSinfo files , but everyone seems to be corrupted (probably me ,as its all of them :D ) .
not to desperate to get them sorted as I'm off to sunnier parts (currently 27c :cool: ) but once I'm back :smashin: .
also got mt X-over cable today (good old maplins) so I'll be all set for when I get back , 'cept for those files
thanks
John

:blush: :censored:

I should have said that in the case of EvoX, the file is ".ini" and not ".xml" - my sincerest apologies. I'm so used to configuring Avalaunch it didn't even cross my mind :suicide:

If you right click on the file, and open using Notepad you be able to read/edit the configuration file.

K.

Bloody Mods :D ;) (joke honest) :rotfl:

cheers mate

john

I guess I should have done a bit more research for myself :lesson::blush:

johnscarlet said:
Bloody Mods :D ;) (joke honest) :rotfl:
Well, that's the last time I attempt to help you out :nono: ;) :rotfl:

Hope it all works out for you from here on in - let this be a lesson to you - Avalaunch is where it's at :D

K.

I've got a hooge file on that as well :thumbsup: , I've not ruled it out
atb
john :smashin:

Well , what a nightmare. Seemed to have dislodged the chip from the board whist fiddleing to connect the network cable. No problem I thought, take it all apart and screw it a little more down :mad: .Only a "little more down" quickly became too b:censored:y much :mad: . Any one else had any experience of rescueing such a problem . Going to have a look at how small a plug I have , to see if I can super glue it into position to give the screw something ne to Bite on

All advice welcome

JS

Panic over :clap: .
Chip nice and firmly in place now.
back to kelvins instuctions :thumbsup:
atb
john

Just been through this process myself, try the link http://www.copying-xbox-games.com lots of useful advice and guidance.

Apologies if we are not supposed to provide links such as this, their guide for copying xbox games does not appear to be avaliable at present.

Help !

I have gotten the dash to boot up from the CD-RW . I have had a quick look in settings ,only to discover that the changes I made and saved in the .ini file are not applied.However ,it would seem that I am able to configure them on the Xbox by scrolling down so maybe all is not lost :blush:

when I boot up and go to settings it looks like this

Type DHCP
IP 192.168.010 (some times this reads 0.0.0.0 :confused: )
Line Status 100/full duplex
Ethernet MAC address 00:50:F2:D3:55:03
Set up network No (changeable)
Use Static IP No (changeable)
IP 192.168.0.2 (changeable)
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway 192.168.0.1
DNS 0.0.0.0
DNS 0.0.0.0
Setup delay 0

networking is enabled

Anyone able to comment if they look correct

When I go to FTP , I can get a connection with the Xbox (Flashftp) but it disconnects after a few seconds. I connect direct from the network socket on the pc to the xbox using a crossover network cable ( bb internet is through usb modem). I have tried disabled the firewalls but no luck so far.

I appreciate there is loads of info an Xbox-scene , but is seem to take forever for me to browse their forums and to search them at the moment .

Any and all help appreciated

John

Set up network No (changeable)
Use Static IP No (changeable)

I think these need to be set to yes, they are on my xbox anyway !!

Also, ensure the IP adress is using the same first set of three digits, with only the last changed.

i.e Xbox
IP 192.168.0.100 (changeable)
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

PC
IP 192.168.0.10 (changeable)
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Ensure you have definately saved your ini file and burned it, to be honest I'm not sure why your Xbox wouldn't display the settings you have set, upon booting the CDRW

Hope this helps.

Hi bobbets .
.ini file is defo saved with "yes" , I'm looking at it now

Will try the numbers out in the morning when I get in from work , I'm on lunch at the mo and wife'ette is watching Casualty at the moment , if only X-s would load a bit quicker

Cheers
john

Well , I'm just about ready to give up :suicide: .No matter what I do or how I've saved it , I cant get the boot disk to boot the network settings correctly , looks like I'm going to have to go the wat of the auto install , if I can work out how to get it :blush: . have tried to use avalaunch this morning but I'm not having any joy there either . Have even asked over at xbox scene , and only got one response :thumbsdow .Has anyone here got any clue

Missed this...

In order for any changes you make to take effect, your Xbox will require a reboot. Doing so will result in a revert to the saved settings on the disc :suicide:

I had a similar problem the first time I modded a box - didn't alter my settings correctly and tried (about 50 times!) to alter them when it booted up (to no avail!).

You need to burn a new boot CD with the correct IP settings saved in the .ini file - there's no other way around it i'm afraid :)

K.

Well , I'm still getting nowhere . The settings in the .ini file match exactly as stated in one of the first links you posted Kelvin. I created ISO , burned to CD-RW with no problems , booted to xbox with no problems . Settings on screen just dont match. Turn off xbox , take out CD-RW ,put back in pc .Extract ISO from disc , look in .ini file .Settings are as I left them. :confused:

So go the way of slayer.
Downloaded and burned all ok , boots up fine .instuctions still say I need to ftp to do a back up . Extract the slayer ISO , change the .ini file to match the correct settings , recreate ISO . reburn image .CD-RW back into xbox ,reboot and .......

bloody disc not recognised this time ARGHHHHHHHHHHH .

I can feel an NFI break coming up :D

The 6 bottles of grolsch are looking very attractive , I can tell you

Think I'm gonna give up for tonight and start again tomorrow :suicide:

I have copied this from a forum on team xecuter, link below, see if this helps. Although I believe it is pretty much what you have at the top. This is what I followed when having trouble.

1:set your computer to a static ip say 192.169.0.10
2:set your compuer subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
3: set you computers gateway to 192.169.0.1
4:set you xbox to a static ip of say 192.169.0.100
5:set you xbox's subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
6:set you xbox's gateway to 192.169.0.1
now to ftp to your xbox
reboot your xbox
A:run flashxp, go to quick connect and fill out the info ass fallows
server/url=192.169.0.100
user=xbox (the user name is defined according to you dash)
password=xbox (the user name is defined according to you dash)

http://www.teamxecuter.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19341

Just checking, you are using a crossover cable?

Just checking, you are using a crossover cable?
thats what it said on the tin ;) but I,m now begining to wonder .

Although if I cant get the settings onto the xbox , I don't think I'm going to get anywhere :rolleyes:

Back again :blush:
Bit the bullet tonight and just ran the slayer auto set up without been able to ftp :nono:

However , it all went well :smashin: no error codes , it all went exactly as I hoped.

Having been able to change the IP settings and save them now , I still can't bloody ftp :confused: , but thats a problem for another day now .I'm guessing that it may well be a problem with my firewall settings , will start to look over Xbox scene again to see if anyone else has the problem

thanks for your help and advice chaps :thumbsup:
John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom