1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiots guide required: Want to compress part of a vid clip

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by RSV_Ecosse, Jul 24, 2005.

1. RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty PC "savvy", but this is my first venture into vid editing etc. I'm getting a bit stuck.

I have 2x17 min segments of a bike ride, both last @3.5Gb in avi format, transferred straight from my MiniDV to PC via Firewire.

I wish to not only compress these down to a much smaller size, but also want to "clip" certain segments from the footage in order that I can upload them to my webspace and post them on a few bike related internet forums for others to view/download.

I've got Pinnacle Studio 9 here, just downloaded VirtualDub and have a trial version of BlazeMedia 6. I've been stumbling around them all to no avail.

Has anyone got an idiots guide to converting huge clips into much smaller clips, cropping them etc? I realise it may be a lot to ask someone to sit and type out, but if there were even any tutorial type websites that anyone can think of, I would appreciate the links. I'm a total noob to all this as I say!!

All I want to do, is upload a few minutes footage to the web from my original footage taken with the camcorder.

Thanks from a complete idiot, in advance..... :hiya:

2. RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

Are these forums that slow? :rolleyes:

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can cut out extraneous parts of your film quite easily in Pinnacle using the razor and dustbin icons.

Once you have your clips you can 'make movie' at various compressions, select 'streaming' then either wmv or real, within each you have various quality settings, some which favour motion, some which favour detail.

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Pinnacle 9 and compress to mpeg, that reduces the file size to approx 20% of avi's and you can make them DVD compatible too so will play as a data disc in most DVD players and also in windows media player.