Idiots guide please re forgotten password for Siemens Gigaset SE587

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by STFC, Jan 29, 2009.

1. STFC

STFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

To cut a long story short, my brother in laws PC that was connected to the router broke and he now has bought a laptop. Previously he just had his ps3 connecting wirelessly. He has now brought his new laptop home and tried to connect to net but his router is asking for a password, and he can't remember it!!

Could somebody talk us through what we need to do please? If you can keep it at a fairly basic level, it would be much appreciated.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    You have not made it very clear exactly what your problem is.

I assume you are trying to connect the laptop wirelessly?

If so...

You say that the router is asking for a password. You are already connected to the internet if you get that far!
    Do you actually mean that the laptop wireless connection is asking for a passkey? Not a password?

Please explain in a little more detail. i.e. Are you trying to connect wirelessly? Are you being asked for a password or a passkey? What are you doing to get the message up? What is the exact wording of the message?

(I'm guessing you don't have either the router password or WEP/WPA passkey but I cannot tell from your question)

If you answer the questions above then I'm sure someone will be able to help.

3. STFC

STFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry, Yes from the conversation I have had with my brother in law, he is trying to connect wirelessly, it picks up the router and asks for security key or passphrase. it states "use at least 8 characters, this is auto procedure to connect online. It is this password/Passkey that he doesn't know.

So any advice would be welcome

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. STFC

STFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Anybody, please?!

5. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Connect to the router with Ethernet. Open a Command Prompt, type ipconfig /all. The IP address of the Default Gateway will be the IP address of the router. Now key that IP address into browser. That will take you to the router's Home Page. Now find Wireless Settings, specifically security settings. The security key will be found somewhere there.

While you are there you can check that he is trying to connect to the correct network by making a note of the SSID.

6. STFC

STFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Have just got to the routers home page where I was expecting to enter 'admin' as user name and password but no joy. I get the message 'The device closed remote access function, you are forbiddened now'

Any thoughts?

7. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    OK, he must have known the wireless passkey when he set up the PS3 - did he write it down?

The username and password for your router should both be admin I believe so he may have changed that as well.

If he really has locked himself out by forgetting the passkey AND the password then you may have to reset the router to factory defaults BUT he would need to enter his Tiscali username and password again. Does he know them?