1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idiots guide on connecting paradigm pdr8 to a 3802 please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mick23, Jun 18, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just purchased paradigm pdr8 from rs, i am not sure how to connect to denon 3802 do i just use single phono from amp to the (low level input) or do i have to run cable from red and black binding posts to sub, as you can tell i am new to anything to do with subs, also can anyone tell me the frequency response range of this sub there is nothing in the manual and pdr8 tech info seems to be 50hz-150 but i am proberbly not looking at the correct figure thank you

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Single phono cable from sub outlet on amp to low level input on sub. If there are two low inputs on sub, any one will do.

Frequency range of about 50Hz to 150Hz sounds about right for the usually exaggerated manufacturers specs.

You don't say what front speakers you are using but assuming that they are not hugely expensive floorstanders, set the speakers to small in the amp and the crossover to maximum on the subwoofer.

As the Denon has a variable crossover set it and 100Hz and have a listen and reduce to 80Hz and have another listen.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    my front speakers are b+w cdm1nt fr/response 60-20hz lcr60 center,600s3 surrounds ,there is only 1 low level input on sub, one knob called subwoofer level, another subwoofer cut off level 50-150hz i just noticed that, can you suggest where to purchse a single phono lead for sub to amp, i saw a thread for the paradigm ps1000 this is rated 50-150hz as well someone in the past said the ps100 went very to a very low level ,i might have read topic inncorrectly thank you again

4. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Cambridge audio 10m sub lead from RS,to a PDR10

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use an Ixos lead for my subwoofer which is available from Currys or many places on the internet.

Your speakers are better than I expected you to say but even so a subwoofer should be able to handle to 50Hz to 100Hz better than full range speakers.

THX recommend a crossover of 80Hz so set the sub filter to maximum and the amp crossover to 80Hz and have a good listen. Then move the crossover on the amp up to 100Hz and see which you prefer.