idiot of a postman!!

dj_padd

Just got home to find the postman had left a parcel that was too big for the letter box out side on the floor. It also happened to be a rather rainy day today, so I have now got a soaking wet ruined Christmas present for some one.

I thought if no one is home then they leave a card if its too big for the letter box?

Jenn

Novice Member
Just complain to the retailer you bought from, it's up to them to complain to Royal Mail.

Trew

I had a courier guy leave my parcel in the alleyway (semi-detached house so no 'roof' over the alleyway) and it was also raining. Good thing my goods were inside a plastic bag and not a cardboard box.

Phil57

Just got home to find the postman had left a parcel that was too big for the letter box out side on the floor. It also happened to be a rather rainy day today, so I have now got a soaking wet ruined Christmas present for some one.

I thought if no one is home then they leave a card if its too big for the letter box?

Less sexism please, it might have been a postwoman!!;):D

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Phil57 said:
Less sexism please, it might have been a postwoman!!;):D

Good point, would a Mod please change the title to 'Idiot of a postal-person' :p

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Wii mote from amazon was left leaned against the unused back door, in the heavy snow of 2009. Fortunately it didn't snow that morning and the remote was fine, but not great for warm-ups ;)

Also once wife's order from next was left inside the paper recycling bin. A good choice.

Only in the latter case did I get a card through the door.

But to be honest, that is nowhere near as much hassle as going to the depot or waiting till the next day. But it's a shame that he/she didnt leave it in a sheltered place.

Last edited:

AVF Jay

Banned
Forget the weather for a minute, the thing that concerns me is the fact parcels are casually being left outside peoples front doors....

dc8900

Distinguished Member
the thing that concerns me is the fact parcels are casually being left outside peoples front doors....

+1,

it appears to be an increasing trend even with signed services such as Yodel, I wouldn't be happy if something that I paid for had simply been left outside for any chancer walking past to give themselves a free gift :thumbsdow

pandemic

Our previous postwomen used to leave them round the corner of the house behind the bins or between. This was quite useful for us as the collection place was miles away.

I find complaints about posties quite funny sometimes; some people complain about leaving post at the neighbours or why wasn't it left with a neighbour and the other various contradictions that come up. Best ones are I ordered this on 22nd of Dec, it's been a week and it hasn't arrived :)

I think I've been pretty 'lucky', most our posties have possessed common sense. Only one occasion I can think of where it was not so, the letter in big red letters said 'Do not fold or bend' and it was folded and posted through the letterbox.

The delivery guy from City Link came to me twice today to deliver one parcel.

He said he knew we were in and he knew we couldn't possibly hear him knocking and ringing the doorbell because the gardener bloke next door was so noisily mowing the lawn. So he went to do some other deliveries and then popped back to us about 30 mins later with his parcel.

11/10 for City Link, eh?

Phil57

The delivery guy from City Link came to me twice today to deliver one parcel.

He said he knew we were in and he knew we couldn't possibly hear him knocking and ringing the doorbell because the gardener bloke next door was so noisily mowing the lawn. So he went to do some other deliveries and then popped back to us about 30 mins later with his parcel.

11/10 for City Link, eh?

It's the middle of December......................mowing the lawns?:rotfl:

heathen666

Distinguished Member
Just had fun and games with Home Delivery Network, 2 parcels from Amazon thrown over a 6ft fence onto a patio. The first sat in a puddle after it'd been raining all day and the second contained a camera. Both items had to be sent back as they were damaged by the numb skull.

The annoying thing was that we were in both times but they didn't even bother to ring the door bell!!

baldrick

Novice Member
Over here virtually everything gets left on the front step/porch etc... I once got home to find about $2000 worth of goods stacked up outside my front door from 3 different retailers!

My understanding though is that the retailer takes the risk of not paying for a 'signed for' service?

GAZBEROTTEN

What you could do is get 6 long peices of wood about 1.5 metres each and make a mail box out of them. You could then build a decently sized hole for deliverys for the post man to put your mail threw and have a base at the bottom of it to store the delivery. That way no one can just put there hand inside it and try to take mail since the mail slot is at the top and the mail will be all the way at the bottom.

Also having a small lock on it will be a good idea. Personally id attach a diagonal peice of wood which would slide the mail to the bottom so anyone trying to put there hand threw to steal mail would be wasting there time since the post box i made would be to deep for them to reach any mail

smallclanger

We've complained recently, because a postie came to our house, didn't ring the bell and left a camcorder on the front step.

jassco

Distinguished Member
What you could do is get 6 long peices of wood about 1.5 metres each and make a mail box out of them. You could then build a decently sized hole for deliverys for the post man to put your mail threw and have a base at the bottom of it to store the delivery. That way no one can just put there hand inside it and try to take mail since the mail slot is at the top and the mail will be all the way at the bottom.

Also having a small lock on it will be a good idea. Personally id attach a diagonal peice of wood which would slide the mail to the bottom so anyone trying to put there hand threw to steal mail would be wasting there time since the post box i made would be to deep for them to reach any mail

Wait... I think you're onto something here. It could be called... a letterbox! :facepalm:

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Forget the weather for a minute, the thing that concerns me is the fact parcels are casually being left outside peoples front doors....

Unless the OP requested and paid for a "Signed for" service, RM will leave any parcels that can't go through the letterbox outside, as they're under no obligation to take them away as they don't need a signature.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Very rarely have delivery problems, our post man is very good, leaves a drop card (stating in the recycling bin of with neighbours - save me picking it up from the local office), the other networks are also very good. Just to balance all those "useless postmen/delivery co." statements. :)

stument

Distinguished Member
My postman is great he hates me (Because i order to much) but hes awsome!

If i have a package to big he will either leave a card or give it to a neighbour and leave a card

Also yesterday my parcel had the wrong number on (God know how?) and he was like i knew the name so here you go.. so that was lucky :)

Postman of the Year :thumbsup:

Geege

Only last week Royal Mail rang the door bell, didn't bother waiting for us to get to the door and walked off leaving the parcel outside on the door step. By the time we got to the door he was gone. What is the point in ringing (at 07:03am on a Saturday morning and waking the kids up too) and then leaving the parcel there anyway. Do they not bother leaving a note through the letter box anymore and asking you to collect anymore?

On one occasion my front door was unlocked (but shut) and the postie actually opened my front door without knocking :eek: to leave the parcel in the hallway by the lounge room and shut the door before I got to the door wondering who the intruder was! I felt like slamming his arm in the door! :D

Other times they have left a card through the letter box for me to collect. When I do I find out it is a small parcel that would have fitting through the letter box anyway and that didn't need signing for! :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney predicts shorter theatrical release windows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar