Idiot in need of an idiot guide

ahaggas

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to pack away my dvd's as my wife is sick of the clutter.

I want to back them up onto my external hard drive using my PC and then back this onto the PS3 (500gb hd).

what steps do I follow and what software will I need to back them up and then to get them to play on my ps3?

I do not understand code, format etc. I need straight forward advice with no technical jargon.

Thanks

A

The Windows Media Player may be able to do this for you, and it is most probably already sitting on your PC somewhere as Windows has it included. However, I've never used WMP to convert CDs, so I cannot give you any advice other than try it and see.

I use Audiograbber to convert CDs to mp3 files. It seems quite simple to use. I just had to initially point it to a working directory, and tell it which of the PC's drives the CD was in. It even uses the Freedb service to fill in the mp3's tags correctly for you (this is a database of CD titles).

The only thing you may have to do is download a separate codec (downloaded file) to do the mp3 converting, but it also may have a default internal one as well.

To move the mp3 files from your PC to the PS3, get a USB stick and create a directory on it called MUSIC, then put the files in there. The PS3 will then be able to see these files in the music section of its XMB, and you can use Triangle button to get copy option.

Audiograbber link:
Audiograbber, free CD ripper, mp3 encoder and audio recorder for Windows

'Lame' mp3 encoder page (the one I used, anyway):
Codecs.com | Downloads for LAME MP3 Encoder 3.100 alpha 2

Last edited:
He said DVD not CD. Try Handbrake, although I'd you have a lot of DVDs you won't store many on a 500GB HDD.

Thanks Mentasm. Is it simply a case of downloading the software and then choosing what format you want to transfer the DVD to? What format for PS3?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom