1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idiot Alert

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Vicbelly, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Vicbelly

Vicbelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: This is my first post!
    Firstly, huge apologies for interrupting your way-above-my-head forum with a prolly completely idiotic question. I've started a new thread so as not to derail any others and I've tried searching the forums to see if my q has been covered elsewhere. Thing is, even if it was I wouldn't understand the answer and I've been looking for answers to this for hours now.
    OK, here it is:
    The soundtrack on all 3 movies on the boxset suddenly outs for a moment, every 30-60 seconds or so. The soundtrack for the menus is fine, and no other DVDs are giving me any trouble (including some pretty new ones)
    The movies play fine on my PC, too. The DVD player I have is rubbish by your standards, I'm sure (Samsung SV-DVD545) but its not old and its done me proud so far.

This audio problem occurs both from the TV's speakers and through the mini-system I have the DVD player hooked up to.

Any ideas?
    TIA

ps Apologies to Vicbarry for having a similar name - this is a complete coincidence and I only realised after registering :blush:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    What 3 movies?
    And if you don't mind me aksing, what gives you the impression that
    a) we are all clever
    b) we all have expensive kit
    ...because I'd hate for people to feel intimidated by the forums. Everyone is welcome, novice or expert, tiny or huge budget.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and welcome to the forums...

Firstly, some help with your problem. It is almost certainly your Samsung DVD player at fault here. I say this because:
    1. You're getting the problem through your TV speakers as well...your TV is actually playing the Dolby Digital track downmixed to 2 channel stereo.

2. The discs play fine on your PC with no drop out...

Try going to someone's house and playing the discs on their player. Bet you they work fine.

Secondly, evryone's welcome here** as Stuart says. this forum is open and will help everyone from those that are lucky enough to have dedicated rooms with THX Ultra systems in them to those that have a DVD player hooked up to their TV...

There is a wealth of information on here, all free. This place is also becoming the meeting for most of the countries AV experts as well...enjoy.

** Except Chav's & spammers... :D

4. Vicbelly

Vicbelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stuart, thanks for replying!
    The three movies I'm having trouble with are the main features (IV, V, VI) in the Star Wars Trilogy box set.
    I get the impression that you're all clever, at least when it comes to things AV, because there are discussions here about aspects of DVD-viewing that have never even occured to me, if that makes sense!
    I'm sorry if I gave the impression that the forums are intimidating - they're not at all! Perhaps I was trying to be too humble, being a newbie and all. :)

5. Vicbelly

Vicbelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and thanks to you too, Family Guy! I'll take the DVDs round to a friends later and see what happens. If there is a problem with the player, is there anything I can do about it?

6. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    ****! I live in Luton - that's me out then! :(

Bye all! ;)

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Nowt wrong with Luton :lesson: , I'm no chav

However

According to this ,most of us are :rotfl:

JS

8. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I suppose it is where you live in Luton. I live in the second most notorious area of the city (where we are afraid to go out after dark) and I most certainly am the only non-chav on this estate!

But i think I may have hijacked this topic! :offtopic:

9. Vicbelly

Vicbelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: Ummm, just slightly!

Seriously though, if its my DVD player that's the problem, is there anything I can do about it? Is it just a case of cleaning the lens or something, or does it sound like a manufacturing fault? Seeing as its only a few months old and boasts of being able to play pretty much every DVD/CD format I'd heard of, I'd assumed that it would be immune to the compatibility issues I'd heard had troubled earlier machines.

10. Andrew Mogford

Andrew Mogford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I am no expert - and I am sure someone will be along to offer better advice. But as an effort to atone for hijacking your topic! :)

Compatibility issues always rear their ugly head and you never know when or where they might strike. I have regular access to four players (and have owned 8 or 9 in total) - and I have just come across my first ever comaptibility issue. That was Box of Delights on a Phillips Player.

If a player is under warranty then you can get it fixed, but if it isn't it will often prove uneconomical with the price of new ones to fix out of your own pocket.

I'm pretty sure I'm right. Anyone care to back me up (or disagree?)

11. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My brother's ageing Samsung also had problems with all 3 of the OT. The only one I saw for myself was a big green square over one of the tie fighters, but he told me of skipping and pausing. I do think you get what you pay for, although expensive players do have their problems too.

12. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,681
    Are the audio drop outs in exactly the same places every time you play them? My money is still on it being a DVD player problem....

13. Vicbelly

Vicbelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know I'm not sure... Also I still haven't had a chance to play them in anyone else's player (must do this tomorrow). I'm still way within the player's warranty so if it does seem to be the player I'll see if I can take it back.
    If the drop outs are in the same places, what does that indicate? They are in the same chapters - most obviously the opening credits but I've not noted whether they're in the exact same place within that.
    Thank you so much for your reply, btw.

14. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    My first dvd player had audio dropouts on occasional discs. Figuring it was down to dodgy electrics in the house, I replaced the coax lead for an optical one and it was cured.