Identify this car

DevCode

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know this should go in the motoring section, but its probably a little car related, more hobby related.

I have an old photo taken around 1960's, it contains a car with the reg 'RWH 7' (in the background) from the Bolton area, but the car in the photo has been altered from what we think is original.

From the photo I'm not sure if its had a convertible back added and new side wheel arches/running board, but I'm trying to identify the base car.

If there are any enthusiasts that could help that would be great.
IMG_0730.JPG

The nearest I can get is that to me it has a definite Austin look to it. Possibly an A40 variant with, as you say, a new back end and side arches. The windows look very Austin to me.

At first I thought it might be a Triumph Renown or Mayflower, but I'm sure it's not, now.

It's a good photo, by the way. It blows up quite nicely.

It looks like a Wolseley to me. Very similar to the attatched picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 295
It's the car in the background I'm looking for, but thanks for looking it's quirky as it's a modified car of some sort.
Oh sorry mate, that'll teach me for not reading the post properly. Let's have another go :)

EDIT: I give up, hope you find out, I'd love to know as well now.

Last edited:
The middle and rear end of the car looks a bit like a 1940s Ford Prefect A493A with extended modified boot, modified roof and side additions over the runner boards.

...But that's a guess! :)

It looks like a Citroen to me. I'm no car expert though.
I can't get that out of my mind after looking at it earlier, also has a bit of Hillman to it :confused:

Well the WH is Bolton so the plate could be original, although likely at least a decade old by the early 60s as they reserved the letters and numbers (like the Wolseley) from 1953 as individual authorities ran out of the old style.

...not that those facts are very helpful given that it's obviously a 30s/40s/50s vehicle from it's styling.

I've been trying to look at ford, Austin and other similar marks but I can match the Windows, but that's about all, I think ford prefect is the closest match, it with butchered running boards and back end.

Cheers for the suggestions so far, gives me more matching to do.

The middle and rear end of the car looks a bit like a 1940s Ford Prefect A493A with extended modified boot, modified roof and side additions over the runner boards.

...But that's a guess! :)

Yes, I see your points, the windows (up to a point) match, before the additions

Ford Anglia no sorry Prefect, definitely has the right type of windows

Can I ask the obvious question?
Why do you want to know?

Can I ask the obvious question?
Why do you want to know?

A friend of mine runs a transport museum in Manchester and they've uncovered a few photos, being the geeks in them they like working out what cars, buses and coaches are shown in the photos and cataloging them for their records.

Call it a hobby.

A friend of mine runs a transport museum in Manchester and they've uncovered a few photos, being the geeks in them they like working out what cars, buses and coaches are shown in the photos and cataloging them for their records.

Call it a hobby.

Does your friends museum cover Morris along with other vehicles?

No, it's mainly coaches and buses.

Thanks, I thought I may have some photos that may be of interest as my companions family owned the Irish branch of Morris who were in partnership with William Morris.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1502174525.236927.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1502174525.236927.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 183
Thanks, I thought I may have some photos that may be of interest as my companions family owned the Irish branch of Morris who were in partnership with William Morris.

Cool, I'll ask him today if their interested,

Their website is www.gmts.co.uk if your interested in what they do.

I think though the Oxford Transport museum at Longhangborough would be very interested as they have a Morris section and would probably love some photos.

Cool, I'll ask him today if their interested,

Their website is www.gmts.co.uk if your interested in what they do.

I think though the Oxford Transport museum at Longhangborough would be very interested as they have a Morris section and would probably love some photos.

I'll ask my companion if she's ok with sharing the photos as many contain family members and William Morris. There are also some photos of Rolls Royce and Bentley as they owned a few.
I have a few that she allowed me to share before but I'll double check but I'm sure she would be more than happy to share.

Well I asked someone who is very knowledgeable in these sort of things and he said:
By where it is parked would say it was an embassy or diplomats car so would possibly be a coach built body on a Daimler or Rolls Royce.
To find out the exact details of the base car and who the coachbuilders were would take quite a bit more digging. And you may never find out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom