• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Identifing unknown studio floorstanders???

Orbitall

Standard Member
I have just come by the opertunity to buy sum awsome sounding floorstanding speakers! Only problem is theres no manufacturer marks on the cabinet... I havnt got a clue what brand or model these are and there are light repairs needed! Can anyone help me find out details so i can look for a replacment tweeter?

The pair in the middle of the pic anyone?

Attachments

• unknown2.jpg
    unknown2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 101
  • backlabel.jpg
    backlabel.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 119
  • cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

KUBBY

Cant see the Pics.Could you try again?

K.

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Can't see them either but please or search this site or Google "white van speakers" before you go any further :)

Orbitall

Standard Member
mmm thats weird, i can see the pic attachment fine, hav just tried another computer and it views fine! could it possibly be an add on needed on your browser to view pic?

Im noob on this forum btw! jus tried reposting attachement says the attachment is already in thread! mmmm anoying...suggestions? need to show ppl these beasts!

mmmm doubt these are dodgy/white van... iv heard them! they just quite old!

Last edited:

mr_yogi

yep, pics working fine, and the one on the left is mission 753's (but you didn't want to know that :laugh:), and I'm affriad I have no idea what the central two are.

Orbitall

Standard Member
OK got some more details about these unknown speakers! New pics with back label and cone added to attchements! The front of the cones are slightly different than the avaerage cone.They has a concave (inward) centre rather than the nipple style convex (outward) one. anyone got ideas?

KUBBY

Hmm.

Working purely from memory (and I cant find any pictures after a brief search),they are somewhat reminiscent of the Eltax Symphony 6.2 hence the 6.2 on the label.

However,Eltax,(a Danish company who produced some decent but never earth shattering speakers) always included the name,ELTAX. Its the detail on the label that puts me off.Who puts the colour of the speakers that its attached to on the label?

There is still a good chance that these are of the White van/Mutton dressed as Lamb variety.

I am more than prepared to be shot down in flames.

Good luck,

K.

Orbitall

Standard Member
mmmm i doubt they are Eltax Symphony 6.2's, mainly because the Eltax's have 1 bass/mid driver and 2 baffles (I think they called that). I have heard these in comparison to the missions and jamo's and they sound much more crisp, as a studio monitor should, this is the reason why i believe they are not white vans!

Theres a 2" tweeter hole to mount and im looking at the pyramid range! Any suggestions on what tweeters to replace these ones?

KUBBY

mmmm i doubt they are Eltax Symphony 6.2's, mainly because the Eltax's have 1 bass/mid driver and 2 baffles

So much for my memory!:blush:

That label.....................I'm voting White Van.

K.

Orbitall

Standard Member
What makes you think these are white van speakers? Firstly I know the person who owns these speakers... no scam, good price! Secondly I have spent 50+ hours listening to these with a variety of music at very loud to very quiet! Both speakers either side of these sound shody (still good tho) in comparison! If these were white van speakers, why do they sound so awsome?

True its odd that the label has cabinet colour on it, but these could have been made 15 years ago, when standards where different!

Thanks for your feedback, I could be a tad arrogant saying this after asking you guys what they could be, but iv heard studio KEF's and these are the only speakers that come close!

hearing is believing :)

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Try taking out the good tweeter and seeing if there's a serial number on it ?

Also there may be some info on the main drivers so could be worth taking one of those out to see :)

Not having any luck googling them :(

Flimber

Distinguished Member
The colour of the van from which these originally came is not important. The thread I previously linked to has outed an extremely similar set as van-derived. Did you see his pics ?

speakers003.jpg picture by um316b - Photobucket

speakssmall.jpg picture by um316b - Photobucket

Look familar ? He has 'drivers out' pics too. No name on them = cheap Chinese parts.

If it's any consolation someone on the aforementioned thread said these 'Dynalab' knock-offs were the best WVS's he'd ever heard. You've been vanned :smashin: But came out of it with something listenable :) If you were trying it on with us forum members then, er, "nice try" - even though it wasn't particularly :D

Mike.

Orbitall

Standard Member
OK i read fully that other thread last night and you are right Flimber, damn similar except all the drivers are different and has crossover boards in back! These most probably started as white van! What i cant fathom is why it sounds good! i mean really....'missions n jamo's cant compete'! Any chance they have been refitted since scam or something similar?

So i have started looking inside! The drivers have 'Ti-625' printed on back of magnet, cant find much out apart from that! Im thinking of replacing both tweeters all together with something beasty, pyramid tweets any good?

Im not selling these on AVF so dont worry LOL!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom