Identification question...

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you were to buy a used Dual Processor, is there a physical way of telling it apart from an SP. Stickers or badges aside, are there any differences between the cases or front or back panels?

The OSD layout on the first page is different and you will also be able to spot the extra boards through the vents.

Factory units have 'THX Ultra 2' and the rede LEDs have the text:

thx surr ex

dts-es

dts 96/24

and also you will see a little 'jaws 2' symbol on the bottom left (for want of a better description)

roversd1 said:
The OSD layout on the first page is different and you will also be able to spot the extra boards through the vents.

Factory units have 'THX Ultra 2' and the rede LEDs have the text:

thx surr ex

dts-es

dts 96/24

and also you will see a little 'jaws 2' symbol on the bottom left (for want of a better description)

Thanks for the thoughts. The unit won't be turned on, otherwise TMREQ in the OSD would be a giveaway. Also not sure about what boards are in a normal Tag, to see the difference. Perhaps the red led might help.

If anyone has any other thoughts?

You could check the serial no. with the TAG helpdesk. They should be able to tell you if it is an SP or DP.

Regards,

Steve

sijones said:
You could check the serial no. with the TAG helpdesk. They should be able to tell you if it is an SP or DP.

Regards,

Steve

Unfortunately I won't have it in time :(

look through the top vent with the unit facing you and look for a raised board to ward the centre / front of the unit with 'Sharc' & 'Analog Devices' written on a chip.

You could also ask the seller for any receipts they have for the unit. It should be obvious from the receipt what product it is and may also include the serial no. so you can match the receipt to the unit.

Regards,

Steve

roversd1 said:
look through the top vent with the unit facing you and look for a raised board to ward the centre / front of the unit with 'Sharc' & 'Analog Devices' written on a chip.

Thats what I'm looking for, I'll check when I see it :)

<i>look through the top vent with the unit facing you and look for a raised board to ward the centre / front of the unit with 'Sharc' & 'Analog Devices' written on a chip.</i>

My single processor AV32R with serial number 479 has a raised board with one DSP on it, so that's not yet a sign for a DP. You'll have to read the chip type number on the SHARC (or count them). If it's a ADSP-21065L, it's SP, if you can see an ADSP-21161 or two, it's a DP. Take a flashlight/torch to read it. The 21065 is about 1 inch square the DP DSPs occupy only a quarter of the space each.

canavan said:
<i>look through the top vent with the unit facing you and look for a raised board to ward the centre / front of the unit with 'Sharc' & 'Analog Devices' written on a chip.</i>

My single processor AV32R with serial number 479 has a raised board with one DSP on it, so that's not yet a sign for a DP. You'll have to read the chip type number on the SHARC (or count them). If it's a ADSP-21065L, it's SP, if you can see an ADSP-21161 or two, it's a DP. Take a flashlight/torch to read it. The 21065 is about 1 inch square the DP DSPs occupy only a quarter of the space each.

Thanks Canavan, I picked it up last week and all is well :thumbsup:

Well canavan, I think since yesterday you have DP too

Its quite easy to tell the difference, the SP has small triangular vents on top where as the DP has long rectangular vents.

Thunder said:
Its quite easy to tell the difference, the SP has small triangular vents on top where as the DP has long rectangular vents.

Not really, I saw few SP with big vents, but most of them have 4 smal vents, you're right there.

I suppose asking to listen to the unit before you part with the money (and therefore see the OSD) would be a good idea if at all possible :D

Hi,

i own a SP with the smaller triangular vents on the top.
Is it possible to stay with this type of top after the upgrade to the DP ?

Greetings Alfredo

maximus_de said:
Hi,

i own a SP with the smaller triangular vents on the top.
Is it possible to stay with this type of top after the upgrade to the DP ?

Greetings Alfredo

No, due to the new daughter board with dual 21161N SHARCS and an increased power supply, the DP generates considerably more heat than the SP and therefore needs to be able to breath :thumbsup:

Hello Thunder,

thanks for your quick answer. We have here some DP owners around, but i noticed
that my Top was glossy and the other ones not.

But its no secret the AV likes it warm even when he was turnd of (by rc).

Greeting Alfredo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom