identical speakers

DJNCOURT

Novice Member
Hi
looking to build a new 5.1 ~ 5.2 speaker setup for a large room

I have a reasonable budget £4k~£5k ish

I am seriously considering using a pair of Celestion A1's that I love from my existing Hifi, and finding another 2 pairs to use as centre and rear speakers.

This will allow me to buy a decent amp and sub with my budget

thoughts and comments appreciated

I know the simple solution is a set of B&W 600 with a Denon AVR and REL sub, but I don't normally do normal
thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
What they used to cost as i found some threads mentioning 150£? Also they are quite old speakers from 90s so are they in good shape, working etc. If something brokes you might have hard time finding parts. You mentioned 3k-4k£ budget for amp in other thread which is very high if the speakers were cheap. Spend more for speakers if possible. Build the system in phases by buying superior LCR only for now while using the A1s as surrounds. Many ways to go.

Onkyo and Pioneer are coming with Dirac Live on new models so you don´t need to break bank to get great sounding system! Yamaha also comes with few models within few month time. Arcam and Anthem are very expensive with bugs reported constantly, NAD T778 is option too.

There is much better options for subwoofers than what REL offers if your plan is to build home cinema for larger space. Definitely consider two subwoofers if you aren´t limited to some odd spots. Check out SVS PB3000 (1200£ possibly cheaper) and Arendal 1723 1V for starters, both would be ideal candidates for larger room.

DJNCOURT

Novice Member
What they used to cost as i found some threads mentioning 150£? Also they are quite old speakers from 90s so are they in good shape, working etc. If something brokes you might have hard time finding parts. You mentioned 3k-4k£ budget for amp in other thread which is very high if the speakers were cheap. Spend more for speakers if possible. Build the system in phases by buying superior LCR only for now while using the A1s as surrounds. Many ways to go.

Onkyo and Pioneer are coming with Dirac Live on new models so you don´t need to break bank to get great sounding system! Yamaha also comes with few models within few month time. Arcam and Anthem are very expensive with bugs reported constantly, NAD T778 is option too.

There is much better options for subwoofers than what REL offers if your plan is to build home cinema for larger space. Definitely consider two subwoofers if you aren´t limited to some odd spots. Check out SVS PB3000 (1200£ possibly cheaper) and Arendal 1723 1V for starters, both would be ideal candidates for larger room.
I think I paid around £800 ~£1000 for the A1's 20 years ago. I used them with a Cyrus 2 amp with PSX and it sounded great. At one point I was also using Cyrus 1 amps for the rears and centre speakers but although the sound was great especially from a DVD-audio it was a pain in the butt trying to get the volumes level!
When listening side by side I have chosen bookshelf type over floor standing each time. there seem to be plenty of examples on ebay for £200~£300 now.
I am building a house currently and started looking at the AV as I want to put the speakers wires in the wall as I have the opportunity. I am expecting to be completing the house at the end of the year so I have time to keep my eyes open for options

thanks fort the recommendations I will have a look at them.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom