ideas wanted for wind break solutions

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I'm looking for ideas for ways to handle a removable/demountable wind break next to the house.
Nice sunny position from morning to sunset but open to the wind which often blows on sunny days in the NE of Scotland.
I preferably want 2m high by 3m to 3.5m wide

I saw ones like these which seemed along the right track but I have doubts as to how they would cope with more than a slight breeze as the material is only supported at the ends.

51NTNO48j2L._AC_.jpg

So I had thoughts of perhaps making something out of metal clothes poles and tarpaulin.
That would give both side and top support (and could add bottom fixing too).
Simplest way seems to be run a clothes line as usual between two poles and then use a tarp doubled over the line.
Anchor the ends of the tarp to the poles and the bottom to the ground.

Won't look nice but I'd think it would do the job over the summer.
Then take down the tarp in the autumn when the real winds blow.

I'd also thought of a colourful beach type wind break but they don't make them high enough.
I can't think of a way to join two of this type together unless perhaps replace the poles that come with them and instead slide higher poles into the breaks and then put two wind breaks onto the same higher poles to stack them to give the height. That is, if I could find such poles.
Would perhaps copper plumbing pipe do the job as poles?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
What about scaffold poles and vinyl? You can get really heavy duty vinyl that they use for commercial gazebos at trade shows. Easy enough sorting the scaffold pole part, not sure how you would attach the vinyl though.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
What about scaffold poles and vinyl? You can get really heavy duty vinyl that they use for commercial gazebos at trade shows. Easy enough sorting the scaffold pole part, not sure how you would attach the vinyl though.
Thanks
Good idea, hadn't thought of that.

What about this type of stuff?
Mono Sheeting (600 Gauge) - White 2m x 45m
It has eyelet holes every 80mm and could be attached to horizontal support via bungees or cable ties. Possibly use like a sort of outdoor shower curtain so could be opened and closed.

I like the "Held up despite some very strong winds and re-usable when removed as no tears" comment in the reviews.

45m at £53 plus delivery would give enough sheeting to replace every year if wanted and provide a 15 years supply :smashin:

So how to fix the scaffold poles vertically into the ground?, preferably being able to be dismounted.
Would it be feasible to make a kind of concrete shoe or boot they could be inserted into and taken down at the end of the season?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a plan.
what about this for securing to the floor?

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a plan.
what about this for securing to the floor?
Thanks but they don't look large enough to take the strain of 6-7sq meters of windbreak getting blown about.
Plus the ground isn't concrete but earth. If I've got to concrete the ground I might as well just concrete the posts in directly. I was thinking more of getting/making something like these to stick the uprights into.

19070_01378587_l.jpg480175157.jpgpost1.jpg

aVdub

Distinguished Member
If you are interested in a more permanent structure I can highly recommend something like the below.

When I smoked we would sit inside something like the above in an exposed dockyard that was open to high winds and you could light a cigarette with a match and you would have to blow the match out.
The timbers are placed opposite the gaps, which allow airflow, but knock the stuffing out of strong winds.
A tarp is going to sound like a tall ships sails going around the Horn in a F10 imo

Carbon 60

Hi,

You could buy weighted solid resin circular/rectangular parasol base stands on Amazon or there's cast iron & concrete stands or cheaper plastic stands you can fill with sand/water. Note different weights between 8 & 30kg. You can buy them cheaper than this one at £36 but the seller BargainHomeUK has 97% positive feedback. A lot of sellers have a poor feedback %.

For other ideas have a look at café & restaurant barrier windbreaks and windbreak fabrics made from PVC, mesh, & canvas. There's lots of different systems on Banner World.

Edited to add - thinking about it a bit more you could buy wooden poles (or heavy duty bamboo canes) to drop into the stands and screw in zinc/brass plated stainless steel eye hooks to the poles top and bottom or even top, middle and bottom for added strength.

Attach white curtain wire to the eye hooks and then (if you know someone who's handy with a sewing machine) run the wire through stitched pockets top (middle) and bottom on whichever waterproof fabric you choose.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks but they don't look large enough to take the strain of 6-7sq meters of windbreak getting blown about.
Plus the ground isn't concrete but earth. If I've got to concrete the ground I might as well just concrete the posts in directly. I was thinking more of getting/making something like these to stick the uprights into.

View attachment 1513685View attachment 1513686View attachment 1513687
What about concreting a pole holder into the ground, like with those washing lines, then just dropping the scaffold tubes into them when you want to use them?

Attaching the vinyl via bungee cords sounds like a good idea.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
If you are interested in a more permanent structure I can highly recommend something like the below.

When I smoked we would sit inside something like the above in an exposed dockyard that was open to high winds and you could light a cigarette with a match and you would have to blow the match out.
The timbers are placed opposite the gaps, which allow airflow, but knock the stuffing out of strong winds.
A tarp is going to sound like a tall ships sails going around the Horn in a F10 imo

Thanks although given the price of wood that looks like a more expensive solution.
However a removable solution is what I'm after.

Although your mention of tall ships sails gives another material to consider.
Sailcloth.
Definitely can take some wind, is flexible, shouldn't be prone to ripping like plastic/vinyl tarp.
Add to which the material can take being sown and probably having brass type eyelets punched into it to take hanging fittings (perhaps on doubled up thickness).

Could be used as a curtain type material pulled horizontally across when wanting the wind blocked and left folded up when not. Or even perhaps like a sail and raised vertically via pulley when in use and left at ground level when not.

Luckily I've got some ships chandlers not too far away and they may be able to supply the raw sailcloth or perhaps even make a custom finished 'sail'.

Last edited:

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Hi,

You could buy weighted solid resin circular/rectangular parasol base stands on Amazon or there's cast iron & concrete stands or cheaper plastic stands you can fill with sand/water. Note different weights between 8 & 30kg. You can buy them cheaper than this one at £36 but the seller BargainHomeUK has 97% positive feedback. A lot of sellers have a poor feedback %.

For other ideas have a look at café & restaurant barrier windbreaks and windbreak fabrics made from PVC, mesh, & canvas. There's lots of different systems on Banner World.

Edited to add - thinking about it a bit more you could buy wooden poles (or heavy duty bamboo canes) to drop into the stands and screw in zinc/brass plated stainless steel eye hooks to the poles top and bottom or even top, middle and bottom for added strength.

Attach white curtain wire to the eye hooks and then (if you know someone who's handy with a sewing machine) run the wire through stitched pockets top (middle) and bottom on whichever waterproof fabric you choose.
The bases look worth considering. I'll probably do one pole fixed into concrete next to the house and a movable one at the other end. Drawback would be limitations as to types of vertical poles that could be used.
I suppose I could make something similar using a large plastic garden pot, putting pole into it and then filling pot with concrete.

All the banners are too small unfortunately at 2m max vs the 3-3.5m I'd need. Also the gaps at the sides/bottom would likely be letting the nasty cold breezes in :(

What about concreting a pole holder into the ground, like with those washing lines, then just dropping the scaffold tubes into them when you want to use them?

Attaching the vinyl via bungee cords sounds like a good idea.
Yep another possibility, or concreting a pole holder into a plant pot so movable.
Would covering a scaffolding pole with cling film or plastic etc, putting it into a pot, filling pot with the concrete and then removing the post when set work? i.e.. make a socket for the post to go into and be removable when not in use?

Your scaffolding poles suggestion is starting to come out on top here as there are so many types of standard fixings available to use including heavy weight eyes for hooks.

eye.jpg

That seems to have mostly taken care of posts and materials.
Just need to decide on how to vertically hang the wind break material: whether to have a solid horizontal cross piece between the poles (another scaffolding pole) or use rope. In both cases hang the windbreak via bungees or cable ties like curtains.

Pro of rope: would be more easily removable
Drawback of rope or wire: it'd have to be tensioned or it would sag with the weight of the windbreak. Adds the complication of how to tension it. I'm finding lots of strap ratckets but so far no suitable rope ratchets. A Strap shape isn't ideal for hanging the windbreak off but I suppose it would work.
Demounting the horizonal cross piece would just be a matter of detensioning and then unhooking.

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 14-27-27 Amazon Basics Ratchet Strap - Pack of 4 Amazon co uk Car Mot...png

Unfortunately I've yet to come across reasonably priced rope ratchets or winches. All I'm finding is multi hundred pound rock climbing ones or cheap ones for hanging cannabis growlights off (lots of these on amazon). Any ideas where I might find something suitable and preferably cheap? I'm probably just not using the right search terms to throw up what I want.

Totally overkill would be this <£30 affair at amazon....:eek:
61frKbb24JL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Pro of scaffolding pole: easy enough to fix in place using standard fittings. Round shape is better for use as a curtain rail.
Drawback of the horizontal scaffolding pole: heavier and the putting it up and taking down would be more complicated/take longer than rope.

Where the windbreak is going also functions as a short cut to the garage. While easy enough to go round the windbreak it would treble the distance which might get a bit annoying longer term. Hence why I keep returning to nice to be easily able to put windbreak into use and remove when not in use. Ducking under a scaffolding pole or risking being decapitated by a wire rope at head height is just asking for trouble...:censored:

So which do you think would be better? the ideal curtain rail shape (round scaffolding) but a bit more complicated/time consuming to fix? or the much easier to fix into place but less ideal flat shape of a strap.
Or any suggestions as to where to get ratchet rope tensioners.

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Rollable bamboo fencing. Takes the sting out, but let's enough air through that it won't break under pressure.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
I used to use a lot of turnbuckles in a previous job; cheap and good for tensioning cable.

might be an option....
Thank you.
I've obviously led a sheltered life as I've never heard the word turnbuckle before.
And it is precisely the search term I needed for a cheap tensioning solution.

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Calico or even Hessian, with a pocket seam that slides down over the poles.
Thanks
That would seem to have the same drawback as the buyable one I mentioned in my first post.
Wide span only supported on the ends. And a lot of potential wind stress at the end seams.

But would be self tensioning if using at least one movable mounting pole. And could I suppose be combined with a horizonal mounting as well.
Rollable bamboo fencing. Takes the sting out, but let's enough air through that it won't break under pressure.
Thanks.
Something else to consider but would seem to have similar drawback as above.
Wide span (3.5m) which I don't think could just be supported at the ends. And also seems more suited to a permanent (or at least season long) fixing rather than one which could be changed day to day.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Takes 5-10 years to grow, so not exactly a quick solution...

IronGiant

Nor very moveable

MSW

Distinguished Member
I had the same issue and did these two solutions

The fence is excellent and the trees help and, over time will get thicker

image.jpgimage.jpg

MSW

Distinguished Member
Takes 5-10 years to grow, so not exactly a quick solution...

Not that bad if you are only wanting wind cover at head height when sat down.

Planted these 15 months ago to hide an outbuilding and have grown very well

image.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021