Ideas to replace Pioneer AX10i-s power but on budget

That's a fabulous offer :) Thank you so very much. Let me know once you're all sorted and roughly where you are we'll sort something. Thanks again.

That's a fabulous offer :) Thank you so very much. Let me know once you're all sorted and roughly where you are we'll sort something. Thanks again.

Super stuff. Will do. Could be a few weeks but I guess that's outside of all our control. Cheers

Morning all.

My 2001 AX10i-s is defying attempts to repair it and I need think about alternatives.

It's been used to drive a B&W 805 7.1 HT system for many years but also an external 7.1 system.

My plan is to replace with a Denon AVC8500 for internal use and was hoping use it solely for 7.1 Evid 6.2's outside. They need some power to drive and the AX10 was doing a nice job of that.

Would be great know of a budget but powerful alternative for the AX10i-s that any of you have. Ideally one with HDMI as we have an outdoor projection system as well but power and build quality on audio is number 1 requirement.

Can see loads of well priced Pioneer units on ebay but not sure which have the horse power needed. The AX10 definitely had that in spade fulls.

If I could get the Pioneer repaired then I would absolutely take that option ... I believe it's the DSP board ... it occasionally bursts into life and then goes to sleep again for weeks!!! I love this unit and had it forever and it's worked it's nuts off. And indeed environmentally I like keeping stuff going till the wheels fall off. If anyone knows a quality repair outfit that could fix it then that would be great too.

Thanks in advance
Probably too late now but I have one to rehome that is fully functioning, say in our hallway for the past two years as too heavy to move!

Probably too late now but I have one to rehome that is fully functioning, say in our hallway for the past two years as too heavy to move!
Morning Simon and apologies for the slow reply.

I wish I'd have known about that .... I literally just two weeks ago sold the AX10i to a guy who seemed to know he could repair it ... which I really hope it can. These things are too good to just scrap.

In fact I stumbled across an AX10Ai unit on ebay which is now doing sterling service driving out outside 7.1 system with a newly added B&W PV1.

I would list that on Ebay Simon. Or indeed on AVForum. You will have zero problem getting interest. I sold my AX10i (just AVR & manual) in a 'needs repair' condition for £150. I could have got more but my focus was on rehoming it rather than the cash.

And this last weekend a gentle drove up for the slightly war torn but functionally perfect remote for £100 and was a very happy man.

I have taken a temporary LX83 for inside duty until I can do a full refresh next year when I think a Denon 8500 beckons or if upgraded by then, whatever replaces.

But thanks for taking the time to let me know. Is very much appreciated.

Hi, you’re welcome! Funnily enough I just finished my first venture into eBay selling (bought loads!) a few days ago with this amp (AX10-Ai-s)and I got £365 for it. Exactly like you I was more concerned with finding it a good home than the cash as it’s still in great condition. I was considering offering it for free round the local village but now glad that I didn’t! I must admit if it had HDMI inputs (and didn’t weigh so much!) I would still be using it. It always made me smile the way the living room lights dimmed briefly when I switched it on, those capacitors must be real monsters! I always found the LCD screen a bit hard to see though even when backlit.

I have a PV1 as well (an original one without the display) and I really rate it. Matched up to 2004 vintage Kef Q series speakers in a 7.1 arrangement driven by an SC-LX56. The original Kef sub was pants by comparison to the B&W, I traded it in. All still giving sterling service, though we may be moving to a smaller place soon in which case may replace the Kef with B&W M-1’s. Any experience of those?

All the best,
Simon

Hi, you’re welcome! Funnily enough I just finished my first venture into eBay selling (bought loads!) a few days ago with this amp (AX10-Ai-s)and I got £365 for it. Exactly like you I was more concerned with finding it a good home than the cash as it’s still in great condition. I was considering offering it for free round the local village but now glad that I didn’t! I must admit if it had HDMI inputs (and didn’t weigh so much!) I would still be using it. It always made me smile the way the living room lights dimmed briefly when I switched it on, those capacitors must be real monsters! I always found the LCD screen a bit hard to see though even when backlit.

I have a PV1 as well (an original one without the display) and I really rate it. Matched up to 2004 vintage Kef Q series speakers in a 7.1 arrangement driven by an SC-LX56. The original Kef sub was pants by comparison to the B&W, I traded it in. All still giving sterling service, though we may be moving to a smaller place soon in which case may replace the Kef with B&W M-1’s. Any experience of those?

All the best,
Simon
100% .... the AX10i was one of those products that precisely as you say, makes you smile.

Someone explained to me recently that there are certain products at certain moments in time that are just perfect, they capture the time and place. The AX10i was .... and it wasn't. It was in absolute performance terms but of course was just a little early in the curve for that new beast called HDMI. But 100% it was one of the best purchases I ever made.

I don't have any experience of M-1's I'm afraid, my AX10i was set up with back and front B&W 805 Matrix and B&W ASW800 SW. And those are still in position and almost as happy a purchase.

The recently acquired PV1 was the original as well and I have to say whilst it's not as potent as the ASW800 it is however a very welcome and long over due addition to my outdoor system. I just have to fabricate an IP level enclosure to keep it in good shape ..... this week's project :)

Is interesting hear about your configuration .... it's the same era and style as mine. It's almost disappointing in a way to find that there isn't so much to improve on the core out there.

I think (the Denon 8500 aside) I will stick with the L,C,R, RL, RR speakers but add top end B&W in ceiling speakers to step up to Atmos.

But I don't see that significant investment having 20% of the thrill as the first time the AX10 and the 805's and 800 sub burst into life. That was quite a day together with one of the very first Pioneer Elite DVD players ever to enter the US .... week 1 of launch and I managed to persuade someone at Ken Crane's in California to keep one for me which I collected a week later. Great times in the evolution of audio and video.

The customs guys at T4 Heathrow had no documentation on DVD's to charge me. Can you believe they let me off the duty because they did not know what it was technically speaking.

Happy AV times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom