Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ideas please on why Sky+ won't retain Additional Channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rogerh, Feb 2, 2005.

1. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My Sky+ is used for receiving additional channels from Hotbird/Astra 1 as well as the usual Astra2/Eurobird signals.
    (This is due to my recent "Down-sizesing" following pressure to reduce the amount of cables/kit etc!).
    Originally I was able to store and retain channels from various transponders up to the maximum the box allows.
    However, I lost all "Additional Channels" when I had to switch off the main power supply.
    Now I can receive and store channels from a transponder but when I store further channels from another transponder the channels already stored are deleted. This means that I can only retain Additional Channels from one transponder.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Have Sky revised their software to make storing of channels from satelities other than 28 degrees, restricted to only one transponder?
    I've run out of ideas.

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :hiya: RogerH

I hope you don't mind me asking, how you were able to do the above ? (In Quotes)

Del :smoke:

3. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I originally had both a Sky+ and an Echostar 808 2ci Viacess box.
    I have an eleptical dish fitted with 3 LNBs.
    The prime focus LNB is directed at 19 deg. and a second LND directed at 13 deg.
    (On the right as you look at the front of the dish). The Quad LNB for the Sky+ is directed at 28 deg (On the left as you look at the front of the dish).
    I have 1 feed from the 13 deg. LNB, 1 feed from the 19 deg. LNB and 2 from the 28 deg. LNB.
    Originally the 2 from the 28 deg. LNB fed the Sky+ and the 13 deg. and 19 deg. were connected to a 2 way disceq switch and then to the single input of the Echostar.
    However, under great pressure from my wife (to reduce cables and stop playing with the TV all the time!!!!) I have sold the Echostar.
    The Sky+ does not have disceq so I now have a manual A/B switch with one feed from 28 deg and one feed from either 13 deg. or 19 deg. conected to one input on the Sky+. The second feed from 28 deg. going direct to the second input on the Sky+.
    This means that by switching the A/B switch I can view the input from either 28 deg. or from either 13 or 19 deg.
    I only have a two way manual switch as I can't find a three way (A/B/C) switch which would mean I could do away with having to change cables to change from 19 deg to 13 deg (or vice versa).
    If anyone knows where a three way manual switch can be bought I would appreciate you letting me know.
    Although I am able to watch a number of Free to Air channels, such as TV5 FBS and TV5 Europe (Both French) and Eurosport (German comentary), without subscribing to Sky and loads of other channels not featured on 28 deg., this set up has a number of disadvantages:-
    1) Only being able to view unencrypted channels
    2) Limited to those with 22000/27500 symbol rate (Sky + is limited to these two settings.
    3) To tune in the transponders you have to know the details. However these are available in magazines/web sites.
    4) Each transponder has to be individualy tuned using the "Add Channels" feature and then each channel saved after which they appear in "Other Channels". A cumbersum process which Sky have made complicated.
    5) You cannot record from "Other Channels" onto the Sky + Hard disc, but you could of course input directly to a VCR/DVD recorder to record.
    6) The SKY+ tuner is not very powerful so only strong channels can be received and some can be subject to "No Signal" in heavy rain etc.
    7) The Sky+ memory limits the number of "Add Channels" which can be stored to a maximum of 50.
    Hope this is of help.
    And if anyone knows of a three way switch available somewhere please let me know :lease:

4. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    RogerH :hiya:

Thanks for the advice.

Like yourself I have a 90cm dish with 3x LNB (One of which is a Sky Quad).
    2x Receivers,(Sky+ & Humax 3100CI ) In addition, too much cable along the side of the house....... I too would like to reduce some of this cabling and use just the Sky+ Receiver if possible, and so am interested as well in a solution regarding Sky+ and additional channels.

Del :smoke:

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rogerh

Probably thought of this, but couldn't you just add another two way switch to the 13 and 19 deg signals and feed this into your exisitng switch. Not perfect but would be better than switching cables if you cant source a three way switch.

Wackojacko32

6. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Wackojacko32. I had thought of that but I was still hoping to find the 3 way switch. If all else fails I'll give it a try.