1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on where to demo in N.Ireland?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rainbow6, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if any of the other folks here living in N. Ireland know of good places to get good kit demoed on this side of the water?

I live in Belfast. I know of:

-LRG on Albertsbridge Road
    -The Flicks in Bangor
    -Lyric HiFi in Belfast
    -Richer Sounds, Belfast
    -Kronos in Dungannon

I've only been to the first four. The first two seem to do a lot of B&W, for speakers. LRG also does Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Mordaunt Short, bose, and maybe some others. Of the two, LRG seems to have a better selection (variety wise) on demo. The Flicks also does KEF eggs and Pioneer. Lyric HiFi also does KEF eggs, Lynn, Castle, Energy Take 5.2, and Encore. These all seem to be pricey. :(

Richer Sounds closed their demo room, but has the usual Richer Sounds stuff and deals.

Kronos says they are Mission dealers (on the phone) but don't stock any. Not sure if they have any Accoustic Energy, etc. I've not visited them.

There's a shop up in Coleraine, but I can't remember the name - just off the diamond. They seem to like Jamo, but have other stuff too.

Would anyone like to add anything here, or say which of these places they like the best, or which has the best deals - or is willing to haggle? (Or add to the stock lists I've described above?)

I'm personally looking for new kit, and any help would be appreciated. Perhaps this thread would help someone else out too??

Cheers,
    Jim ;)

You can see my other threads to see what I've been trying to look at, called 'Help me make a decision, £800' and 'what do you think of these receivers' or something. [Sorry, can't figure out how to make a link here.]

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NI is a bugger of a place! :D I cant much add to what you have, i think all the others i know of have closed down.

The best thing you can likely do is go round all and pick and choose what you like. Lyric i find are very good for demos, even if it is just to have a quick look at alternatives. Never been to kronos but i have had a few conversations with them and they seem to know what is what. Richer is the only other one i actually know, i didnt realise the dem room was gone though. They do do some form of 'buy it and try it' thing where you can get your money back if you dont like it, but i dont know the details and i guess it may no longer be running.

The unfortunate view from everyone i have spoken to is that AV in NI is not popular, hifi is far more so and also multiroom, so resultingly the availability is low and prices high. I have to admit i now mostly buy from the mainland and do so blind.... i find that doing so and selling things on results in les of a loss than buying locally.

All that said, talk to everyone and if you are spending money, you can expect something off the top, especially if you are the type of guy who will be coming back.

all the best

ad

3. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks buns,

Yep, that's the case with Richer's Sound demo room. THey've changed the look of the place all around now, and it looks a lot smaller. Is it just me, or do they now have less stuff?? Yes, they do have a 14 day return policy, you can try it and if you don't like it bring it back. But I do wonder sometimes whether their stock is not European imports, to get prices like they've got. Does anyone know if this is a problem, and is there any difference in quality?

Phoned Dunmoris Talk Vision and Sound today, in Lisburn. As you suggested, they seem to be one of the shops closing down the AV side of things. They're flogging some speakers at the minute, but don't seem to have all that much, and sound impossible to demo, judging by what they've got.

I also spoke with the shop up in Coleraine I mentioned in the earlier post. It's called 'Car and Home Supplies, Ltd.' The AV stuff is on the first floor. The guy sounded helpful on the phone, and they sound as if they'd be pretty flexible with demos. They do have a few combos I'd like to hear - it's just getting the time to get up there. We'll see. He says they've got Pioneer, Marantz and Yamaha amps and things, and as to speakers he didn't give the whole range. But as to the smaller speaker packages (which I'm interested in), he mentioned Klegg, Jamo, Mordaunt Short (Premier and Premier Plus).

Jim

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, Ive used Lyric ever since I moved here in 1989, Ive always found them most helpful they even allow you to take ,stuff home to demo,I never buy anything from them unless ive demoed it at home .
    Jim
    by the way Kronos was started by a guy who was at Lyric when I fist went there .

5. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool! How does that work? You just have to ask, or do you know someone there?

Thanks,
    Jim

Interesting . . .

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lyric have let me take stuff home before as well...... if it is something kicking about the shop i dont think they have any problem taking a card swipe for it and letting you away with it

ad

7. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've also been a regular Lyric customer for over 10 years and would recommend them, but they don't have the widest selection. Their new showroom on the Lisburn road is a big improvement over their old shop - even if it does look like a Loewe showroom when you walk in!

8. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Lyric negotiate on prices?
    Thanks for your input!
    Jim

9. jcw_mc

jcw_mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always bought my equipment from kronos. They also do demos both in the shop and will lend out stuff for home demos with no problems. The guy that owns kronos actually started zeus in belfast, he never worked for lyric. go on their website it shows all their brands, mission is not listed. they used to do mission but i don't think they do it anymore.

10. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,725
    I've only been to The Flick's and Kronos.

I got the impression that the guy who owned Kronos was a lot more passionate about his products. I can't remember all the brands they had, as most of the gear was not the normal B & W / Kef etc. I demoed Triangle speakers (never heard of them before) using a Roksan amp and a French made CDP (cost £1500 new and he had it for sale second hand at £400). Was a great demo and would have bought the lot on the one listen if I wasn't just in to browse. (I'd no money) :D

They had a good section of ex display / pre owned gear.

Does anyone know who does Anthony Gallo in the North?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008